Nashville overrated?

option+

Does anybody else thing that Nashville is incredibly overrated so far? Sure they're 8-0. But they have only played one team with a .500 record so far (Colorado), they've been outshot in 6 of 8 games so far (including 41-22 last night AT HOME to Chicago) and 3 of their wins have been as a result of shootouts. The Habs are vastly better in my opinion... what does everyone else think?

I think they do have a fairly good team, and could make some noise this year in the playoffs even. Much of that lies in the glove of Tomas Vokoun though.

When you look at the new schedule... teams are playing 8 games against each team in their division. Nashville does not come from a rather strong division.

Detroit

Nashville

Chicago

St. Louis

Columbus

You can easily point out that Detroit may have a very good shot at tops in the West, not because they are the best... but because they are the best in their division. The same goes for Nashville.

If Nashville can out-duel Detroit in a majority of the 8 games they play against each other this season, I do believe they deserve all praise coming their way.

You can apply this to all of the divisions really, and see just what teams really are doing good. (This will obviously be better applied later in the season when more games have been played.)

With all that said, once again, I do think that Nashville has something good going for them. They seem to have filled all the right holes and should surprise some people.

The ‘new’ NHL will surely pay dividends, as they can now play their game.

I like Nashville's team. They'd look better in Winnipeg but that's besides the point.

Strong goaltending, great young underrated defense and some very talented forwards. This team is the real deal IMO. Kariya puts them in the Cup contender range IMO.

BTW, WTF did Chicago let Sullivan go for?

It'll come down to Nashville and Detroit IMO.

Dallas and Colorado's times have past. Vancouver just does not have the goaltending and Calgary just isn't doin it now.

[Edited on 2005/10/26 by Leafs Suck]

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

BTW, WTF did Chicago let Sullivan go for?

Acquired by Nashville from Chicago for a second-round selection in the 2004 Entry Draft (Ryan Garlock) and a second-round selection in the 2005 Entry Draft (Michael Blunden).

its very true that some of nashville's success is illusory, but you play the teams on your schedule and they have won the games that they're supposed to win (look at the recent montreal teams that have thrown away games to lesser teams throughout the season).

Option, you are really pressing my buttons when you start going to shot differential, one of my favourite stats. You can't expect even a great goalie to completely bail you out over the course of a season. I haven't seen preds games this year, but i remember 2002 when a lot of teams were just taking a lot of blueline shots at theo once they got frustrated - they wouldnt explain the entire disparity, and you should be able to transition those long shots into scoring chances, but what do I know?

Will the preds be 82-0? Of course not (I know nobody is making that argument). However, as others have pointed out, their recent competition somewhat fairly reflects their strength of schedule. So there are two theses that one can posit:

1) If we believe that they have won their previous games convincingly, then their strength of schedule would indicate that they will do well for the year.

2) If we believe that the preds have gotten 'lucky' or that some players are overperforming (e.g. 'Vokoun is saving them from themselves') then they should fall apart soon.

Originally posted by ~moeman

Didn't da leaf let Sullivan go too? I distinctly recall the leafarazzi slagging his size and skill.

I thought they traded him to Chicago? So long ago I cannot remember. They did the same to McCalley (Spelling) saying he was too small. I liked how Toronto's defensive coverage dropped after that trade.

Nashville I believe will come back to earth like most teams do.

Leaves put Sullivan on waivers so they could sign DMITRI KHRISITCH... hahah

Since than Sullivan's career has taken off. How ironic.

Interesting how the three young players TO stole from NJD for Gilmour were all given away for nothing.

Smith, McCauley and Sullivan...

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Leaves put Sullivan on waivers so they could sign DMITRI KHRISITCH... hahah

Since than Sullivan's career has taken off. How ironic.

Interesting how the three young players TO stole from NJD for Gilmour were all given away for nothing.  

Smith, McCauley and Sullivan...

I remember when that trade took place, Don Cherry was just a-jumpin' behind the desk. He was dancing all over the Toronto management's face for that. He couldn't believe that they'd get rid of Sullivan so as to keep Kristich. It may have had a European vs one of our boys bashing kind of flavour but, at the time, I agreed with him.

Hey, what do Donny & I know, eh? :D:D:D

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

• 2 weeks later...