Article on Habs ex-assistant coach Dave King

habscout

Dave King's situation is one that I never really understood.

King did well with the Canadian Olympic program but never seemed to get off the ground in the NHL.

Maybe it was that he had a hard time handling people who made more money than him... maybe he had a hard time handling older players who weren't ready to accept his 'tactics'.... maybe his skills didn't translate well beyond young players who were on the way up and HAD to listen to him in order to show well... maybe, maybe, maybe....

Interestingly, the same seemed to be the case for Herb Brooks also. From what I saw of the movie 'Miracle On Ice', if Brooks' way to handle players was as antagonistic as he was made out to be then I can understand better. Millionaire established players would likely have thought and told him to f-off with his attitude. If King was the same... well, there you go.

Maybe his tactics work well with the Russian mentality.

By the way, do any Canadiens prospects play for that team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk?

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Well I think with Herb Brooks it may have had to do with the teams he had to coach.

With the early 80's Ranger teams, they were garbage,but he was the fastest Ranger coach to win a hundred games.

The late 80's Minnesota team, and the early 90's New Jersey Devils were crap also.

And its not like he had Mario Lemieux in Pittsburgh.

And of course it was called the Miracle on Ice. Its not like that American Team could do it again. Maybe is should have been called the Fluke On Ice

Originally posted by kaos

Its not like that American Team could do it again.   Maybe is should have been called the Fluke On Ice

I think the word "miracle" works just fine. This was more than just a hockey a game. Considering it happened right in the middle of a recession during the Cold War, a lot of Americans were worried about the future. Then they started seeing this rag tag group of college kids beating teams they should not have been able to. When it came to the Russia game itself, it was more than just the US team vs. the Russian team. It was democracy and captialism against communism, two nations going at it. It was a time when people wondered if Russia was going to become superior. This game helped show that anything can happen. It raised a lot of spirits.

Anyways, it should be called a miracle for the simple reason that it got Americans interested in hockye, even if only for a short time.