NHL Attendence record set for October

Rooster

The NHL has set a new attendence record for October (with the most spectacular jumps being in the Southern US -where a lot of room for improvement existed). Quite an accomplishment after a year lost to the lockout. The cap which levels the playing field for all teams and rule changes and strict(er) application of the rules seem to be paying high dividends. Here's to hoping the NHL doesn't forget what's making its success (the officials on the Leafs-Panthers game last night were quite "old" NHL).

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/191204.html

Originally posted by simonus

amazing that crappy atlanta improved by 15%.  Non-traditional hockey market with an acrid team, impressive.

Probably due to them having a few goal scorers and the fans expect them to shine! They were the talk at the start of the season:o

[Edited on 2005/11/1 by Howie_Morenz]

Originally posted by Tony

Holy crap!

Nice to see the league is doing good in attendance. I wonder if we will see expansion teams if attendance keeps going up and doing well.

Please, no more expansion teams! I don't think I could stomach the Oklahoma City Jaguars or the Albuquerque Alligators or any other new US Sun Belt team.

The only expansions team I'd except would be Winnipeg and Quebec.

I wouldn't mind seeing a team in Houston, Seattle, or Portland, Or.

In the next few seasons, after the current fin. system has time to settle, I wouldn't be surprised if any struggling teams are encouraged/pushed to relocate. With the players involved now in terms of partnership, and all teams inter-related for salary cap implications, pressure will be high for teams to show positive results.

I don't expect to see expansion for at least 8-10 years.

My favourite cities to get a relocated franchise, in order of preference:

Houston

Winnipeg

Quebec City

Portland

Cleveland

Seattle

My fav. teams to move:

Anaheim

Florida

Washington

Carolina

(I prefer to have a general rule that for any team who has one the Stanley cup, all possible efforts should be made by the owner and league to have the team stay put)

Originally posted by Rooster

The NHL has set a new attendence record for October (with the most spectacular jumps being in the Southern US -where a lot of room for improvement existed).  Quite an accomplishment after a year lost to the lockout.  The cap which levels the playing field for all teams and rule changes and strict(er) application of the rules seem to be paying high dividends.  Here's to hoping the NHL doesn't forget what's making its success (the officials on the Leafs-Panthers game last night were quite "old" NHL).

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/191204.html

I'm glad for the league in that area. There were, I'm sure, lots of fears of a lost fan base due to the lock-out and all the negative press that came out of it all.

Now, the real point of this post.

I'm concerned about what I think I have seen take place in the last few games that I watched. I could be wrong but I get the impression that the whistle is getting lost on the way from the hand to the mouth at some times in the games.

I've seen late hits which, in the 1st few games would have brought out the shrill invitation to the penalty box. These would have been occasions for interference penalties. Both the Rangers and the Canadiens were doing it.

I don't know if it's due to:

a) a reasonable adjustment to the new ways of looking at things or

B) a slow slip back into the 'old NHL'.

If it's a), then I think we should be wary of it continuing - pressure by the 'old guard' to get the game back to where they're in their comfort zone.

If it's B), then we, the fans, should get on their backs as much as we can because a promise is a promise.

If it's a return to the 'old NHL', then we'll soon get back into good ol' clutch 'n grab, hook 'n interfere, slash 'n bash (in front of the net), trap 'n trap, etc....

This glorious rise in popularity will turn into a glorious slide into infamy as another case of fine words done in a political 'tell them what they want to hear and to hell with them' attitude towards the ones footing the bill for the enterainment.

I won't quit watching Montreal but I bet my 'faithfulness' is not shared by a good number of the people watching the game.

WANT TO KEEP THE GROWTH? KEEP THE GAME EXCITING!

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Originally posted by GoHabs2002

In the next few seasons, after the current fin. system has time to settle, I wouldn't be surprised if any struggling teams are encouraged/pushed to relocate. With the players involved now in terms of partnership, and all teams inter-related for salary cap implications, pressure will be high for teams to show positive results.

My favourite cities to get a relocated franchise, in order of preference:

Houston

Winnipeg

Quebec City

Portland

Cleveland

Seattle

My fav. teams to move:

Anaheim

Florida

Washington

Carolina

(I prefer to have a general rule that for any team who has one the Stanley cup, all possible efforts should be made by the owner and league to have the team stay put)

Les Alexander is trying to move a team to Houston:

http://www.hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

"With the NHL back in business, Rockets owner Leslie Alexander said this week that he is working toward expanding his business to pro hockey. Alexander said that not only has he made his interest known to NHL officials, including commissioner Gary Bettman, last month he began talking with investors should he be able to buy a team to move to Houston." Houston Chronicle

"I am trying to get a team. I am trying," Alexander said. "I went to see the commissioner. I told him about my interest. I can't disclose teams, but I've been talking to people (in the NHL) and to investment bankers. "I had conversations a month ago with an investment banking firm. I'm looking to buy a team. So people know my interest. You hear from time to time that teams might be for sale, then it changes or something else happens. But my interest is out there." Houston Chronicle

Originally posted by GoHabs2002

PLEAAAAASE... no more expansion... the sport doesn't need to be diluted any more than it is.

The only possible good thing is that, with the 'new NHL', there should be more room for the smaller, skilled players to make the league. The thing is, in this case, that there will also be a limited source of these guys too and, for that matter, all they would probably do is replace the bigger clutch & grab guys.

So, I go back to my first statement: "PLEAAAAASE... no more expansion... the sport doesn't need to be diluted any more than it is."