Leetch: McCabe Norris Trophy worthy

BTH

Well argued points Cruncher. I don't think what we're saying is really that far apart. I'm no fan of McCabe either, but do recognize that he is off to a great offensive start and, at his pace, he would get "serious" consideration for the award (he is on pace for over 100 points) IF THE SEASON ENDED TODAY....so for this reason, and even if the rest of the season remains to be seen, I don't think we can brush him off as of today.

Originally posted by Rooster

Well argued points Cruncher. I don't think what we're saying is really that far apart. I'm no fan of McCabe either, but do recognize that he is off to a great offensive start and, at his pace, he would get "serious" consideration for the award (he is on pace for over 100 points) IF THE SEASON ENDED TODAY....so for this reason, and even if the rest of the season remains to be seen, I don't think we can brush him off as of today.

Rooster you are correct because getting a ton of points always attracts the votes. Unfortunately it would be flawed because it would have to be classified as a one dimensional trophy. All the voters have to do is watch his defensive liability to realize that he needs to work on this. I think he can become a very good defenceman if he just stopped trying to be the big hitter.

He has proved not just this year that he can score and set up goals, he just has to become better behind the blueline. Anything is possible.

Originally posted by Rooster

I think we're saying pretty much the same thing. Damn its hard to get our real thoughts across in writting:wall:

All I'm saying is that he would be considered but has no chance of winning. The Norris is not for the defenseman who collects most points, but for the best defenseman, and any defenseman being in the negative in the +/- rating doesn't deserve to win in my opinion.

Originally posted by jetsniper
Originally posted by Leafs Suck

McCabe will on Team Canada because Quinn is the coach. He and Gretzky think it's better to do what's best for there teams than whats best for the country. So typical.

Uh, if thats the case then where was McCabe for the World Cup? I remember the huge outrage from Leaf fans that McCabe wasn't even considered for the team. Team management said they went with who they thought was the best and McCabe wasn't in that group.

McCabe had a horrible playoffs, espically against Philly, so Quinn didn't have any excuse to have him on. Now that he's put up some points, Quinn can wesael him onto the team. Same with Cujo, he's a .500 goalie but that maybe enough for someone of Gretzky's class to get him on the team.

Just watch. Theodore could have better #'s than Cujo, yet he prolly won't make the team. They're not interested in whats best for Canada, it's whats best for their ego. Why do you think Joseph was going to be the starter in Salt Lake?

[Edited on 2005/11/10 by Leafs Suck]

Originally posted by ~moeman

Theodore had better numbers than cusieve in 2002 (before the Olys, whilst waynEgo 'scouted', funny how ALL the games waynEgo 'scouted' were in toronto). waynEgo has never, ever shown class, he's too egotistical, always has been.

Not sure but Jack Todd always talks about how classy he is. Or his dad is if you ever read his stories. Apparently, Troy Crosby sent in hate mail to Jack Todd for saying Crosby won't be as good as Lemieux and Gretzky. He also supposedly was angry at the Penguins organization for not playing him on one of their 5-on-3 PP situations. Now that's egotistical. Crosby looks alright though.

Originally posted by jetsniper

McCabe will on Team Canada because Quinn is the coach. He and Gretzky think it's better to do what's best for there teams than whats best for the country. So typical.

Uh, if thats the case then where was McCabe for the World Cup? I remember the huge outrage from Leaf fans that McCabe wasn't even considered for the team. Team management said they went with who they thought was the best and McCabe wasn't in that group.

McCabe had a horrible playoffs, espically against Philly, so Quinn didn't have any excuse to have him on. Now that he's put up some points, Quinn can wesael him onto the team. Same with Cujo, he's a .500 goalie but that maybe enough for someone of Gretzky's class to get him on the team.

Just watch. Theodore could have better #'s than Cujo, yet he prolly won't make the team. They're not interested in whats best for Canada, it's whats best for their ego. Why do you think Joseph was going to be the starter in Salt Lake?

[Edited on 2005/11/10 by Leafs Suck]

Yeah, you've got a point on McCabe (I forgot about that series, I think he made like...2 or 3 colossal mistakes) but I don't think Wayne will do that with Joseph. He's been mediocre all season and some heads will definitely be raised if he is named to the team. I still think Brodeur, Theodore and Turco go to Turin for Canada.

Ok...just read some of the other posts, I've got one question. Whats up with all the hate for Gretzky? I've always liked him...

[Edited on 2005/11/11 by jetsniper]

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie
Originally posted by ~moeman

Theodore had better numbers than cusieve in 2002 (before the Olys, whilst waynEgo 'scouted', funny how ALL the games waynEgo 'scouted' were in toronto). waynEgo has never, ever shown class, he's too egotistical, always has been.

Not sure but Jack Todd always talks about how classy he is. Or his dad is if you ever read his stories. Apparently, Troy Crosby sent in hate mail to Jack Todd for saying Crosby won't be as good as Lemieux and Gretzky. He also supposedly was angry at the Penguins organization for not playing him on one of their 5-on-3 PP situations. Now that's egotistical. Crosby looks alright though.

Eww! Do I smell another Lindros-esque parent? That would be awful! I really like Crosby, I think he's a great kid and an outstanding talent, but the hype is a little too much for me.

The hype around Ovechkin is too much. He is a selfish, quitter.  

Crosby is all the hype. He's on pace for almost 100-point, who was the last 18 year to do that?

Teemu Selanne. 76 goals in his rookie season!

Anyway, Crosby has 20 points in 18 games. Ovechkin has 18 points in 17 games and 2 points in one game shouldn't be out of Ovechkin's reach. Ovechkin has more goals so "wins" a tie, atleast in points. I think Ovechkin deserves it more though because he's been more physical than Crosby (and the average player for that matter) and is carrying his team on his back where Crosby is doing great but sharing the load. Two great players. Maybe they can start a second summit series.

:hockey: