Todd Marchant on waivers...

Haboholic

think of bulis when you think of marchant. There the smae type of player, both can skate, defesively aware, always put forth and effort, the comparisions go on. Who wouldnt want another bulis right? But with what we have on our roster and what money he makes, we should not pick this guy up. If we wanted to get rid of bonk, then he would slide in nicely, you know thats not going to happen, plus bonk has more offensive skills(mind you he really hasnt show that YET). So all in all, no marchant for us, id rather have a plekanec getting the ice time or a higgins(he's been impressive of late)

PS- isnt it funny all our rookies only have stand out streches while the other rookies go in ruts? It stared with perezhogin, then plekanec, now higgins is the guy

Originally posted by joliat

I've been a long-time lurker and fan of this site for many years as it seems to be one of the few Habs sites of some intellect, articles, topics, forum members.

But I know as a collective fan base, we Canadiens fans are an impatient, critical bunch and this fast start has only heightened our cup lust and paranoia of the team. But I think this year, rather than in previous years, this team has some real chemistry and heart.

I think this year, for Gainey, is the year where he sees if these young guys like Ryder and Ribs and the rooks like Pergy, Pleks, Higgins are either for real or not. Especially for Ryder and Ribs who really have the potential to be not just the present but the future for the team---all you loud grumbling detractors out there, I know that hurts. :) So I don't think bringing on a guy like Marchant will happen as all it does is harm the development of our younger guys. I think the team has real talent on the forward front, the D of course is another story and I think this will be the only real possible change during the season.

I think Ribs is playing well. Is he on his game on all the time? No. Does he seem to be maturing on the ice? From all the games I've seen and heard, he appears to be. He, like most of this team is fairly young and it will take some time---whether everyone likes it or not. :)

:hlogo:

[Edited on 2005/11/17 by joliat]

Agree and because this team is so young they 're probably going to go through more ups and downs both individually and as a team than most other teams in the league, but if this season so far is any indication they seem to be fast learners.

Originally posted by joliat

I've been a long-time lurker and fan of this site for many years as it seems to be one of the few Habs sites of some intellect, articles, topics, forum members.

But I know as a collective fan base, we Canadiens fans are an impatient, critical bunch and this fast start has only heightened our cup lust and paranoia of the team. But I think this year, rather than in previous years, this team has some real chemistry and heart.

I think this year, for Gainey, is the year where he sees if these young guys like Ryder and Ribs and the rooks like Pergy, Pleks, Higgins are either for real or not. Especially for Ryder and Ribs who really have the potential to be not just the present but the future for the team---all you loud grumbling detractors out there, I know that hurts. :) So I don't think bringing on a guy like Marchant will happen as all it does is harm the development of our younger guys. I think the team has real talent on the forward front, the D of course is another story and I think this will be the only real possible change during the season.

I think Ribs is playing well. Is he on his game on all the time? No. Does he seem to be maturing on the ice? From all the games I've seen and heard, he appears to be. He, like most of this team is fairly young and it will take some time---whether everyone likes it or not. :)

:hlogo:

Good post Joliat and welcome (actively) to the site. What kept you looking from the outside for years?

Personally, my opinion of Ribs, since I'm also a Montreal born dude of Portuguese descent, is that he is a fantastic player and Gretzky doesn't have anything on him.:) Seriously, as Joliat stated, this is Ribs and Ryders evaluation years. BG will decide his long term approach to these two players at season's end. I'm ambivalent towards Ribs. Ribs is a second center, I think we have to keep that in mind (don't judge Bulis or Begin by first line standards, judge him with reference to his role on the team).....and even if Koivu left, Ribs would not be our 1st center (or at least shouln't be.....they should bring someone else in to take the 1st spot). Offensively, I feel he is a great second center. He does lack, I feel, grit and heart, but he is improving. I think we forget that Ribs was an extremely imature player in junior and in his first years with the organization. He is gaining maturity, but it is taking time. The question at the end of the day is whether the organization feels confident that he I the future as the second line center and the trade off is having a 2nd center that is more offensively gifted than most, but one that will never really have blue chip character and determination. My view is that unless the team has the chance to get a 2nd center (at a decent price) which is obviously superior character wise with comparable offensive skills, Ribs will rightfully stay. As for now til the offseason, no way Ribs goes anywhere in my view.

good post rooster...

but if we make the playoffs and ribs and the second line still hasnt changed much since the beginning, then i dont think we have much of a fighting chance to amke it to the finals... in the playoffs we'll need 2 lines that could produce regularly. right now the second line isnt doing that.

if ribs doesnt have good games in the next few, then i hope he gets benched so maybe it'll shake him up a bit and realise hes going to have to work if he wants to earn his spot. its a shame for second line though cause ryder is a great player, sometimes it looks like hes the only one on the ice doing anything. when i think about it, i dont even noticed ribs anymore, its mostly just higgins and ryder.

i like marchant but no i don't think he fits into montreal's plans right now as we don't have room for him.

as far as all this talk on ribeiro...i can't believe i am seeing such negativity regarding him, he definitely fills a role and does it well. by reading these posts, i come to the conclusion he is extremely underrated by some. his transition game is impressive and he is offensivley gifted. i would hate to see him leave montreal. just appreciate him for what he does out there game after game. i can't believe i even have to defend him. what are any of you seeing that i am not? actually please don't answer that, enough with the negativity. go habs go!

les canadiens sont la!!!!

[Edited on 2005/11/17 by bookworm]

Originally posted by dark_faerie87

I have a question, when goalies get sent down for "conditioning" stints, do they have to pass through waivers?

Nope. Huet doesn't have to pass through waivers.

Originally posted by Haboholic

im sorry, i still think ribeiro is overrated, maybe because hes french canadian? who knows?  

i never said anything about what we should do with him, thats bob gaineys job.  

ribeiro goes far too unnoticed thats his problem! his bad shifts outweigh his good shifts... lets think out of 20 shifts a game... maybe he gets 2-5 good ones in there? and hmmmm... -5 doesnt look too good either.  11 out of his 16 points are on the powerplay, yes thats pretty good, but it also shows how he gets shoved around on even strength, he needs room to do anything.  the problem is he cant create the room he needs, he needs his opponent to give it to him gift wrapped!

Yes -5 is not so good but his linemates aren't very responsible defensively (except Higgins and they have only played a few games together). Here is another pair of interesting stats:

Takeaways: Ribero is 4th on the team with 18 takeaways behind

Markov 25, Boullion 23, and Sunstrum 19. Kovalev is 5th with 15.

Giveaways: Ignoring Ivanis and Lapierre, Ribero is tied for 2nd with Perezhogen - both have only 3 giveaways in 19 and 18 games respectively. Dagenais has only 2 giveways in 14 games. Higgins is next with 5 giveaways in 19 games. Ribero has had more then 1.5 times as much ice time than any of these guys.

Although these stats must be taken with a grain of salt, they do show that Ribero is one of the most reliable forwards with the puck.

Ribero is fine as the second line centre. Furthermore he still has a tremendous possible upside.

geez. and I thought that the topic was about marchant ;)

the thing is that he doesn't bring anything the habs need

we need more grit not more speed, we have plenty on young guns and bulis for speed and we only have a few gritty players...bégin, bouillon.

we need more, more, mooooooooooooore

Originally posted by marky_and_komi

we need more, more, mooooooooooooore

I totally agree with you, we don't need another speedy forward in Todd Marchant, but hey get over it, dickie isn't coming back. As much as we like "Digging Dickie", don't expect #12 to be in the lineup anytime soon. ;)