Streit & Hainsey - 20/20 Hindsight

smon

Name me an NHL GM who hasnt made a mistake.

So far BG's seem to be of the minor variety. Let's hope this trend continues

Originally posted by Rooster

I don't think anybody is saying that Hainsey, Hossa or whomever else will be stars, just that we could have used Hainsey last night, we could use Hossa over Dags and etc. Is any of this a big deal? NO! Could it have been prevented with tighter roster management, yes. Is it a big deal? No. (wait, I've said that already).

Exactly.

This falls into a minor mistake category really. Similar to keeping Dags over Hossa. Neither have much heart, but once again the upside issue comes in.

Does this mean that Hainsey will be a star? Heck, no. Not unless he plays like he means it, and even then its a longshot. But in my humble opinion, he is a better player than Streit. 'Tis all.

And hey, if Streit suddenly becomes the offensive defenseman the Habs lack, I'll eat my words.

smon: OK! We get it!

Losing Hainsey isn't worth the time to discuss, IMO. I feel worse about losing that nickel at Tim Horton's yesterday (rolled under the counter... couldn't get it).

I'm not prepared to give up on Streit yet. Clearly he's still adapting to the N.A. game. I just wish he was adapting in the AHL instead, where his mistakes aren't as important. Some of his fumbles, bad passes, etc. can be corrected when he gets used to the tempo. Hopefully once he feels comfortable with the basics, he'll be more confident in his offensive play.

Question: if we send him down, does he have to clear waivers?

[Edited on 2005/12/1 by Mont Royale]

So much crying for Hainsey and Hossa on this board. They are gone, time to move on. Hossa and Hainsey would be an upgrade in Montreal for some guys that turned out to be duds, but not much of an upgrade. I hope both guys do well for their teams and Montreal fans can move on. Once healthy again, lets see what the current guys can do.

In the loss to Ottawa with so many people out, and so many guys taking the night off, Montreal was in that game for 1.5 periods. Even down by 3 goals is not a guaranteed win.

I have hopes that they will beat Buffalo tonight and get out of the slump.

Go Habs Go