Bring back Michel Therrien

jackp

Word is that Therrien is first in line to replace Eddie O in Pittsburgh. Damn, We're too late.....to the time machine!

Yes he's replacing Eddy Olzyk.

TSN. In the wake of last night's 3-0 loss to the St. Louis Blues, the Pittsburgh Penguins have fired head coach Ed Olczyk and his assistants, Joe Mullen and Randy Hillier. Michel Therrien, who had been coaching the Penguins AHL farm team in Wilkes-Barre, will take over the coaching duties. Sources told TSN that Therrien's entire staff at Wilkes-Barre will join him with the big club.

Originally posted by jackp
Originally posted by PurpleHills

Ok, do any of us see on a regular basis, what the coach does off the ice??? Probably not, so then how can we jugde who the good and bad coaches are. If you tell me that he isn't playing his youngsters enough, you may have a point because it's an apparent coaching move. But if you tell me Julien doesn't know how to motivate his players, or that Julien doens't run the right drills, that's bogus. You would have to be a witness, or your opinion doesn't count. One person who is a witness, is Bob Gainey. He's a lot more hockey smart than any of us. Leave it to the man

First of all, to those of you who were translating my "bring back Therrien" post literally, you need to expand the depth of your thinking. This was not a serious suggestion; it was a lead-in to my rant about lack of offense. (Most of you did realize this, I believe.) To put it even more bluntly... I am very well aware that we will never have this excellent coach again {sigh}.

As to those who believe that Julien is a good coach, yada, yada, yada... There's no point arguing this here. Let's wait and see. We'll talk again next April. I just hope that you don't forget this thread we had here back in mid December.

I'll say one thing though... Therrien has accomplished as much as Julien has in the minors and more. Besides this, after the 1st round upset of Boston, we were up 2 games in the next series against the Canes before we had that meltdown. Our team then looked like we could beat anyone! Whereas, Julien (like Vigneault), won 1 series, and then was swept 4 straight where we didn't even look like we belonged. And don't forget, talent-wise, Julien has a better team than Therrien had.

The following year, Therrien was quoted as saying that his goal was the Stanley Cup and nothing less. Have you ever heard Julien or Vigneault say this? God forbid. We wouldn't want to have unreal expectations now, would we...

- Jack

[Edited on 2005/12/14 by jackp]

How much did Therrien pay you to write this stuff. I guess we'll see how good he is now that he has Sid the Kid and company to coach, if he's everything you say he is then we should see a big turn around in Pittsburgh

Originally posted by olematelot

How much did Therrien pay you to write this stuff. I guess we'll see how good he is now that he has Sid the Kid and company to coach, if he's everything you say he is then we should see a big turn around in Pittsburgh

I guess we'll have the opportunity to see now, won't we?

Pittsburgh's record when he took over was:

Won - 8 Lost - 17 OT - 6 for 22 points

- Jack