Game Thread | Montreal Vs. Panthers | 12/30/05

Spider-Man NL

It’s a sad day in Habs world when people were actually happy with how the Canadiens played tonight. Yes some shifts they dominated but the Canadiens made so many mistakes all night long I don’t know how you could think this game was "ours’".

Things need to change

Habs need to score more than one goal in a game obviously but on the other side of the stick Theo needs to hold this team together from the back end. I know people will tell me that he had no chance on the first goal but when I watch the replay it appeared as though he did not even try. The second goal great shot yes for sure but if he cut off the angle properly Joe Nieuwendyk would have missed high and wide.

Another thing is that the Canadiens must use their speed and I don’t believe this is a coaching problem because some shifts they sake others they don’t.

I truly hope when this team is healthy Julien is tough on the lazy players. By this I mean players should be given chances to redeem themselves but if a player rookie or veteran is making mistakes and or not working hard the should be given a seat in the middle of the bench or upstairs in the press box.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ni idea what the last poster is talking about. Theo holding them in? He did everything he could last night, no chance on either goal. Maybe you mean he should stop the puck, skate it out of the zone and score a goal. You should be looking at the pathetic D. Rivet and Markov turned it over all last night, not to mention the other D. I'm also not sure when people say use the speed, other then dandy the defense is all slower then average. Thay can't seem to pass the puck either. Let's give credit to those players who show up every night, higgins, kovalev, bulis. I would add begin, but i don't remember seeing him after the first period did he get hurt? Until people realize the habs will go no where with the current core players, and a pathetic defense they should probably stay off the coaching staff. This team has been outplayed and outhustled for the last few years and for the past 3 coaches. That hasn't changed. i would submit with gainey in charge things will get better but it will take time to get the dead wood out of there. They don't have much trade value.

I've been thinking alot about this team of late, one problem that in my opinion we have is, that we have a lot of defensive minded forwards, who aren't big scorers. That's not the problem, the problem is that those guys are not gritty and tough. We don't have enough skill, to be a skill team like Ottawa, and not enough grit on our players lacking offence to be a Calgary style of no holds barred 100% effort. That's my opinion for what it's worth, which last time i checked was nothing.

I have ni idea what the last poster is talking about. Theo holding them in? He did everything he could last night, no chance on either goal. Maybe you mean he should stop the puck, skate it out of the zone and score a goal.

I agree, habschris. Theodore is the last line of defense, and therefore an easy target. A lot of people have unrealistic expectations, like he'll stop everything. I guess in theory all goals are stoppable, if only the goalie has part of his body between the puck and the net... but it's not realistic to expect that. How many of Theo's saves do we forget about and take for granted, when another goalie would have let them in? Lots.

However, I do agree (and I've noted this myself earlier) that Theodore seems too quick to give up on a play. I would definitely prefer to see him make an effort to stop the puck, no matter how out of position he is. Most times, the puck will go in anyway, but the odd time he'll get lucky. I don't think it would have made a difference last night, though. You can't score 1 goal and expect to win.

All I intended from my comments was that Theo needs a shutout, for his confidence and for the confidence of the players playing in front of him. Anyone who has played hockey knows that when your goalie is hot and you are confident in him you make less errors because confident is the only way to play a sport cautious and nervous is a recipe for losses and mistakes.

All I intended from my comments was that Theo needs a shutout, for his confidence and for the confidence of the players playing in front of him. Anyone who has played hockey knows that when your goalie is hot and you are confident in him you make less errors because confident is the only way to play a sport cautious and nervous is a recipe for losses and mistakes.

is that shut-out coming tonight - against the Hurricanes? :?-

would be nice, non? :)

:king: :hlogo: :king: