Koivu injures knee

Habs77

This is big enough news to have it's own thread... any updates show be posted here.

It's the same knee that gave him problems a few years back... not good.

Also, did you see the play?... It looked like a harmless hit, if you can even call that a hit. To get injured, yet again, from that little contact just goes to show how fragile this guy is.

He has NEVER had two consecutive healthy seasons, and now he can't even get through half of his first pre-season game... *sigh*

Hopefully this is truly just a strain, but I wouldn't put too much weight in tonight's injury report... very often they downplay it when it happens, then we learn the bad news the next day.

Kilger went from "not as bad as first thought" the first night, to "doctors fear the worst" the next day.

If anything, this makes me even gladder we have Ribeiro & Higgins looking good right now.

Perreault will come in handy as well.

[Edited on 21-9-03 by Habs77]

If Koivu is gone for the season, I will be mightily upset.

But remember, this season's supposed to be a write off anyway. We've told people "oh just you wait", but they haven't believed us.

This can be a test season. The vets will get injured, the kids will play. I'm OK with that.

In fact, although I'd love things to go well, but I'm prepared to watch the season go down the drain, as long as:

(a.) We play kids as much as possible

(b.) The soft veterans play well so they can be traded, or else play bad enough to be demoted and let go in the off-season

(c.) We learn which goalie is really number 1. Theo or Garon. I'm not ready to give Theo the keys to a car that might run a little better with Garon.

If there is no CBA, and the WHA does something wonderful and magical, and signs Audette, Juneau, et al, I can look forward to a wonder and magical season.

Of course, we could be over reacting just a tad, but I won't say anything just yet.

OH MY GOD, THE SHIP IS SINKING, WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!! :o :o :o :o

You know guys , I always hear the idea of "play the kids as much as possible" being thrown around , but their is one big flaw the idea...

Who are the kids going to learn from? Who's going to guide them? Who is going to teach them the tricks of the NHL trade?

You cant just throw a bunch of youngsters into your lineup at once and expect them all to develop to their potentials , especially when the only players they'd be learning from is each other.

Sure young players can have success without the guidance of others (Kovalchuk , Heatley) , but those guys are what we call "rare" talents , we dont have any of those... Look at Jackman for example , do you think he would of won the calder last season if he wasnt playing with MacInnis? Dont think so...

<hr>

Edit : (While I'm here) , here is an article from LJM (Journal Montreal) ,

http://lcn.canoe.com/lcn/sports/nouvelles/...921-074042.html

Nothing really new on the Koivu front in the article (though they did get the name of the sens player who hit him wrong , it was White not Chara) ,

In other news in the article... CJ was impressed with the performences of Souray , Ryder , and Perezhogin among others.

<hr>

A La Presse game-recap

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/article/1...03,435994.shtml

<hr>

English CP recap of the game ...

http://www.canada.com/sports/hockey/story....BF-35E0B5DC0F02

[Edited on 2003-9-21 by puck7x]

How come people are panicking saying that Koivu will be out for the season or a long time. Um, Gratton sprained his knee and he'll be healthy some time in October. A sprained knee might keep Saku out a few weeks but at least his injury will be for the season's beginning. No need to rush him. It's not torn ACL, MCL whatever he's done with that knee in the past (he hurt it in 1996, 1998 and 2000) that needed surgery. If it's what they're saying, the year is not a waste. But, is it just me, or do the Habs play better when Saku is hurt than when he's out there playing (Since 1999, they must be over .500 without him in the lineup).

Originally posted by Krushing Komisarek

How come people are panicking saying that Koivu will be out for the season or a long time. Um, Gratton sprained his knee and he'll be healthy some time in October. A sprained knee might keep Saku out a few weeks but at least his injury will be for the season's beginning. No need to rush him. It's not torn ACL, MCL whatever he's done with that knee in the past (he hurt it in 1996, 1998 and 2000) that needed surgery. If it's what they're saying, the year is not a waste. But, is it just me, or do the Habs play better when Saku is hurt than when he's out there playing (Since 1999, they must be over .500 without him in the lineup).

You know your right KK , sprained knee injuries only keep players out for 1-4 weeks , THATS IT ... Just doing a quick search of NHL sprained knee injuries on google you'll see that players come back quickly from them.

We're probably just over-reacting because its Saku , and he has a bad history with knee problems...

But he probably will make the start of the regular season , or at most miss 5 games or something.

The fact is they're calling a "sprained" knee but the truth is they have no idea... that's why they're waiting for the tests.

Teams always downplay an injury at first, don't let that comfort you.

As I said above, the first day the reports about Kilger's eye were "it's not that bad"... the next morning the headlines were "Kilger might have lost an eye".

Given Koivu's history (and that knee in particular), we're more than justified in fearing the worst.

Even if it's bad news, I doubt it would be for the whole year... it could be a couple of weeks, or months.

The silver lining would be that Ribeiro would finally get his chance for sure.

For those who say we're dead without Koivu, I'll remind you that the last time we made the playoffs... he was out all year.

And this year's Ribeiro can be better than Gilmour was in replacement of Koivu that year. Remember how bad Gilmour was in the 1st half that year?.. He was playing so bad people were hinting he would retire in mid-season.

Koivu's loss would hurt, but it wouldn't kill us... and like I said if we lose I don't think it would be all year.

If he misses a month or 2 let's say, Ribeiro could start the year and get his shot... then when Koivu gets back the team has to make a decision.

I'm more concerned about Markov's injury, now HE is absolutely vital IMO.

Hopefully Koivu's injury really is just a sprained knee, but there still is the possibility of some torn legamints, which will be reavealed early this week win the MRI results are in. Hopefully he's ready to go by the first exhibition game, the habs are a way better team when this guy is in the lineup.

As for youngsters getting the chance to play, the only youngsters that may get a chance to play are Hossa and Higgins, with Hossa already having stints in the NHL for the past two years. Ward will certainly be on the team and it seems as though Ryder is steadily solidifying his chances of making the team as well, but these guys can hardly be considered youngsters at 23 (Ryder) and 24 (Ward) years of age when regulars on the habs like Markov and Ribeiro are the same age.

Something Montreal really needs is a tough guy, im sick of seeing guys like Dwyer and Blouin get beat to the ice everytime they drop the gloves, the best fighter on the team is probably Quintal or maybe Rivet but we cant risk losing either of those guys with a broken hand. Souray also seems like he can handle himself but i doubt we'll see him drop em anytime soon.

:ghg:

You know, I could be right. Since 1999, the Habs have an over .500 record without Koivu and a much inferior sub-.500 record with him. Remember he played only 24 games in 1999-2000 and we went on a great winning tear, there was mostly crap in 2000-01, but all of 01/02 we were good without him. It makes a slight difference, but one big enough to notice because each time he was hurt the Habs were fighting for a playoff spot.

Like I thought, a month or 2 was my guess.

I just hope he doesn't rush things just to play in the opener... take an extra week, but just make sure you're 100% when you come back.

This is the kind of injuru players often aggravate when they come back too soon.

Good for Ribeiro... I'm really happy about the fact this will give him even more of an opportunity to finally crack the lineup in a regular role.

P.S. I was wrong about it being the same knee he had injured a few years ago, it's actually the other one.

And somehow, that doesn't make me feel ANY better ;)