Espn's Take

smon

Was browsing around on ESPN.com, came across an article by John Buccigross in which he stated what he would do if he was a GM. Here's his take on the Habs.

Montreal Canadiens: Bob Gainey is probably learning a lesson. Mike Ribeiro has 41 goals in 235 NHL games. It's who he is. Saku Koivu has played 10 NHL seasons and has only twice scored 20 or more goals. Alexei Kovalev is a major tease, yet continues to rake in millions. He's had one elite year in 13 NHL seasons. He is not an elite player. Sheldon Souray's 2003-04 season was an aberration. Only two players on this roster really excite me: Richard Zednik and Michael Ryder. I love Ryder. The Canadiens are well run, have great fans and will be sniffing for the eighth spot the rest of the way, but they need assets.

Verdict: I would entertain offers for Jose Theodore. They also need a scoring center to complement Ryder, a big winger and an impact defenseman. Something big might happen here.

:wacko:

So according to him Montreal needs three top line assets. They certainly do. But trading Theodore alone wouldn't net a big centre, winger and a top-two defenseman. :lol:

Opinions are like a..holes> Everyone has one but they should be kept private most times. Easy to be a critic from a chair, don't remember his name from hockeys history, so who is he? Just another guy voicing his opinion.

In a way it is true.

Saku Koivu is a great player but he could be the first franschie player in the Montreal Canadiens history not to win a cup. He fought cancer and has his heart at the right spot. But I don't see him as one of the greatest. A good one but not great.

Mike Ribeiros stats speaks for themselfs and there is a reason why some think he should go. Alltough I think that some are expecting to much. This is his second season as a regular in the NHL.

Alex Kovalev not an elite player?! That's where I don't agree. Kovalev is one of the most skilled players I've ever seen.

Sheldon Souray had a great year in 03-04 but we got him for "nothing" and I don't know if anyone recognize him as one of the best defenceman in the leauge or ever has?

Jose Theodore is a former Vezina and MVP. We know what he's capable of. He's slumbering right now but it will end. When Theo are at his best he is along with Brodeaur and Luongo THE BEST. Trading him for offense would not be a smart move since the Habs have talent coming from the farm.

Jose Theodore is a former Vezina and MVP. We know what he's capable of. He's slumbering right now but it will end. When Theo are at his best he is along with Brodeaur and Luongo THE BEST. Trading him for offense would not be a smart move since the Habs have talent coming from the farm.

Have to agree here, he could get hot late season, storm into the playoffs, and steal a round for us, he has before. I am all over keeping him unless we get a francise player, by all definitions, for him.

Koivu isn't really a franchise player, yup. He's a good one though nonetheless.

I can see where he comes from with Kovalev. He just didn't frame it correctly. Kovy is obviously an elite player in terms of skill no doubt, but its true that he had only one elite year.

That would be 2000-01 Pittsburgh NHL 79 44 51 95 +12 .

The next two years, he had 76 and 77 points., very good but not cream of the crop in the entire NHL. Then 45 pts with MTL/NYR.

Previous to 2000, he had never scored 30 goals in a year or had 70pts.

So his career numbers indicate he's not an elite performer. He is an elite player because he has the skill. But how many points you rack up the biggest indicator.

Edited by smon

And since his elite year Kovalev has played with the New York Losing Rangers.

Now he is in a slightly better team but his best before date may have expired but he has the skills and in my eyes he is one of the best players in the world.

Kovalev may have great skills, but he has never taken a team on his back and guided them through the playoffs (where it really counts). Look at the truly elite players in the NHL right now (With comparable league experience): Jagr, Forsberg, Modano, Sakic, Yzerman, Fedorov (Goalies like Roy, Hasek, Belfour too, but goalies don't apply so much.) etc... they've all won when it counted. Buccigross is right on. Kovalev has talent coming out his ears, but no results.

Koivu is too injury prone to be a franchise player. Kovalev, he's had injury problems too that has effected his career. He's certainly talented, but expecting 80 games from him is delusional.

I'm a fan of Ribeiro. But I think letting Perreault go was a mistake. Shouldn't rely on young players like Ribeiro too much.

Ryder & Zednik? Those are 2 good, hard-working, and underrated players. I'm eager to see how Ryder plays in the post-season in this year. He had trouble last season, hopefully he'll do better this year.

I sure hope Ryder gets to play in the playoffs this year.

I was really confident that this club would for sure be in but as the days go on and the loosing ways continue it gets harder and harder to believe. Perreault leaving was not a mistake so what he has 17 goals this year, Nashville is scoring a lot but I don’t think more vets is what this team requires to win.

Kovalev may have great skills, but he has never taken a team on his back and guided them through the playoffs (where it really counts). Look at the truly elite players in the NHL right now (With comparable league experience): Jagr, Forsberg, Modano, Sakic, Yzerman, Fedorov (Goalies like Roy, Hasek, Belfour too, but goalies don't apply so much.) etc... they've all won when it counted. Buccigross is right on. Kovalev has talent coming out his ears, but no results.

Hit the nail on the head. Exactly my point.

I sure hope Ryder gets to play in the playoffs this year.

I was really confident that this club would for sure be in but as the days go on and the loosing ways continue it gets harder and harder to believe. Perreault leaving was not a mistake so what he has 17 goals this year, Nashville is scoring a lot but I don’t think more vets is what this team requires to win.

No, but it'd be nice to win a faceoff when it counted....