Trade idea: Audette to Atlanta

TheAussiePosse

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spectors_...de_rumours.html

"ATLANTA THRASHERS: likely to move either Jani Hurme or Byron Dafoe in hopes of landing a scoring winger to replace Dany Heatley"

Of course we don't need another goalie.

But of course we'd like to move Audette.

Audette's stats as a Thrasher:

1999-2000 season: 11 points in 14 games (traded from LA)

2000-2001 season: 79 points in 76 games (then left as a FA to Dallas)

If we traded him to Atlanta for a 4th or 5th rounder, life would be great. However, if they made us take a goalie (and it wouldn't be Dafoe - so the Hurme), we could probably ship him off to Toronto (Belfour has back injuries, Kidd out till January), Calgary (needs an experienced backup, as Mclennan and rookie goalies sub-standard), or even Nashville (I don't think Hodson's enough).

Just an idea more than anything, but it could work out.

This could be our chance, and could give BG some leverage. Audette's contract is up at the end of this season, so Atlanta wouldn't have to be worried about CBA problems. He would do well on a team that needs the scoring.

:ghg:

If we traded him to Atlanta for a 4th or 5th rounder, life would be great. However, if they made us take a goalie (and it wouldn't be Dafoe - so the Hurme), we could probably ship him off to Toronto (Belfour has back injuries, Kidd out till January), Calgary (needs an experienced backup, as Mclennan and rookie goalies sub-standard), or even Nashville (I don't think Hodson's enough).  

Even Toronto isnt this stupid. No way they acquire a high-salary goalie , whats the gain for them? Unless Belfour gets injured , and it out for a long period of time , aint going to happen...

They'll just use Tellqvist as Belfours backup , its not like Kidd helped him last year anyways... lol

Toronto has Mikael Tellqvist and he sure is a great goalie.

In Sweden we rank "Tellan" higher than Johan Hedberg.

But Atlanta could have some intrests in having Audette back on the team.

I don't remember why he left but I think it was to free up som space for the younger players. And sadly Atlanta has lost one, maybe two young players. So they might consider Audette if he was offerd...

The problem is: What does Atlanta has to offer?

- A goalie. Does we need one?

- No. Who does?

- Dunno?

- Edmonton Oilers?

- Maybe... Hurme for Ethan Moreau or Steve Staios?

- Hmmmmm

First off Audette has 2 years left on his contract, at 3M per.

And even though Audette had his best year in Atlanta, the whole league is aware of his wrist injury and the fact he hasn't been the same since.

They are also aware he spent some time in Hamilton last year.

Anyone have the exact stats on how many goals Audette has actually socred since his wrist injury?

I wouldn't be surprised if the total was under 10.

He's not what I'd call a "scoring" winger anymore.

And we wouldn't need anything in return for Audette, more likely we'd have to pick up part of his salary... and thank our lucky stars.

If Gainey could pull this off... I'd be doing cart wheels.

Leafs don't need a goalie...

Problem with trading Audette is purely a salary issue. I think Atlanta would take a shot at him if he wasn't making so much money...

You can't just dump a guy making 3 million a year without taking on salary in return or swallowing a chunk of his pay.

If the Habs were willing to eat 3 million of his contract we could probably dump him to someone and take back a low salary in return. Unfortunately that would still see us only saving about 1 million or so on the whole contract. So why not let Audette see if he can turn things around...which is what we're going to do.