Habs Will Be A Force In The Playoffs

carolina has looked more mortal recently

Yeah they picked the worst possible time to get into a slump.

I've seen Briere's name thrown about a bit over the last few days but he doesn't really strike me as the #1 center that everyone's begging for. Yes he's great on the faceoffs and has great hands around the net, but isn't he a little on the small side?

I know that, but I would be just fine with a Koivu/Briere duo. I said I would like to have a better, more reliable second line center, and Briere would be great in that role. Koivu is fine as a number 1 center, especially if we finally support him with another good center. Anyway, Montreal needs to go with a balanced lineup, and not one superstar surrounded by a bunch of nobodies. That means there are no true number 1 and number 2 lines; we'll just have 2-3 good scoring lines that will all be able to produce on any given night.

Besides, there are no superstar centers available this summer. Briere and Arnott are the best UFAs available, I would stay far away from Marc Savard who is a potential huge bust, and the other big names (ex. Richards) are restricted.

As for size, it doesn't seem to affect Briere this season. It appears that the "new NHL" is a perfect for him. One thing is for sure, he would be a gigantic upgrade from Mike Ribeiro... so would Arnott.

I'd rather have Arnott because of the physical dimension he brings, but either would be swell. On the other hand, they'd likely have to overpay any non-francophone player since Montreal is few players' destination of choice - a point in Briere's favour, surely. But I think Bob would like to get away from the 'Smurfs at Centre' shtick.

I'd rather have Arnott because of the physical dimension he brings, but either would be swell. On the other hand, they'd likely have to overpay any non-francophone player since Montreal is few players' destination of choice - a point in Briere's favour, surely. But I think Bob would like to get away from the 'Smurfs at Centre' shtick.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Players' agents are not stupid, and they know that Montreal would love to have more upper-tier francophone players, and I'm sure the asking price for their Quebec-born clients is much higher for the Habs than for other teams. They'll also use the media pressure as another reason to get more money for these players.

I'm sure that people in the marketing department for the Canadiens are dreaming every single night about Gainey pulling off a mega-trade to acquire a guy like Vinny Lecavalier. You just have to look at the whole Latendresse incident to see how desparate Montreal fans, the media, and also the organization are for a genuine francophone superstar. Latendresse had a very good camp, but he wasn't that great. He's not the first player to show great things at a rookie camp, and during pre-season games against other juniors and minor-leaguers. The media made such a gigantic deal out of the fact that a slightly immature 18 year-old who still needed to improve on the skating department was returned to his junior, like almost every single North American 18 year-old prospect.

As for a guy like Arnott, if Gainey can convince him and his agent that Montreal will become serious contenders starting next season, he won't have to overpay, especially not since they have history together (Dallas). Of course, if Montreal were to make it to the semi-finals or even the quarter-finals, it would greatly help his case.

Edited by CerebusClone

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Players' agents are not stupid, and they know that Montreal would love to have more upper-tier francophone players, and I'm sure the asking price for their Quebec-born clients is much higher for the Habs than for other teams. They'll also use the media pressure as another reason to get more money for these players.

I'm sure that people in the marketing department for the Canadiens are dreaming every single night about Gainey pulling off a mega-trade to acquire a guy like Vinny Lecavalier. You just have to look at the whole Latendresse incident to see how desparate Montreal fans, the media, and also the organization are for a genuine francophone superstar. Latendresse had a very good camp, but he wasn't that great. He's not the first player to show great things at a rookie camp, and during pre-season games against other juniors and minor-leaguers. The media made such a gigantic deal out of the fact that a slightly immature 18 year-old who still needed to improve on the skating department was returned to his junior, like almost every single North American 18 year-old prospect.

As for a guy like Arnott, if Gainey can convince him and his agent that Montreal will become serious contenders starting next season, he won't have to overpay, especially not since they have history together (Dallas). Of course, if Montreal were to make it to the semi-finals or even the quarter-finals, it would greatly help his case.

Good points all...except that I honestly don't think Bob Gainey gives a tinker's fart about the media or whether the nativist francophone fan base is getting its jollies. I seriously doubt that Bob would be willing to overpay JUST because someone is French, whatever the marketing morons say about it; especially when Montreal is for francopones what Toronto is for Ontario boys, the city where family are and where they dreamed of playing growing up. Other than that, you're on the mark; I think Arnott, along with anyone else who has worked with Bob in the past, might be one of the few 'anglos' willing to come here without extra pecuniary inducement.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Good points all...except that I honestly don't think Bob Gainey gives a tinker's fart about the media or whether the nativist francophone fan base is getting its jollies. I seriously doubt that Bob would be willing to overpay JUST because someone is French, whatever the marketing morons say about it; especially when Montreal is for francopones what Toronto is for Ontario boys, the city where family are and where they dreamed of playing growing up. Other than that, you're on the mark; I think Arnott, along with anyone else who has worked with Bob in the past, might be one of the few 'anglos' willing to come here without extra pecuniary inducement.

I agree with you about Gainey. His job is to build a team that will win hockey games, and that's all he cares about. However, the people above him do care, and I'm sure they put some pressure on him. Whether or not their pressure tactics are working, that's another topic (although I doubt that resigning Ribeiro was entirely Gainey's decision).

Edited by CerebusClone

I'll be praying every day we don't face the Canes.

Watch for 2/3 of the horrifying BBC line return to cause strife among our defense. Throw in Williams, Whitney, Staal, Weight, Recchi and Stillman, and Houston, we have a problem.

Although a Swiss matchup would be awesome. AB vs GB, with Streit filling the gap. The Vatican will be overjoyed.

Rangers, please, I'd prefer a Hossa-Balej-Ward line :D

Won't happen... Balej got traded to Vancouver last fall.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I'll be praying every day we don't face the Canes.

Watch for 2/3 of the horrifying BBC line return to cause strife among our defense. Throw in Williams, Whitney, Staal, Weight, Recchi and Stillman, and Houston, we have a problem.

Although a Swiss matchup would be awesome. AB vs GB, with Streit filling the gap. The Vatican will be overjoyed.

Rangers, please, I'd prefer a Hossa-Balej-Ward line :D

are you crazy putting in abby...do you not remember is last performance against them?????