Habs Stanley Cups

GOHABSGO22

yeah, habs won the stanley cup while in the NHA, the NHL's predecessor:

from Wikipedia:

The championship trophy of the NHA was the O'Brien Cup, donated by the O'Brien family and which survived to become the championship trophy of the NHL. However, as the Ottawa Senators joined the league as the reigning Stanley Cup champions, the first five seasons of the league had the Cup awarded to the league champions, which then defended it against outside challenges.

the habs won the NHA championship in 1916 and beat the challengers (Portland Rose Buds) for the Cup.

In 1917, Habs won the NHA championship, then lost the cup challenge to the Seatlle Millionaires of the PCHL. Seattle was the first US Stanley Cup champion.

When you see 23 cups it is a reference to the fact that the habs have won the NHL championship series 23 times.

Edited by simonus

also worthy of note:

several other montreal teams have earned the Cup, especially during the challenge cup years. During the challenge years, the Stanley Cup was more like a boxing title than a season championship.

The Maroons won 2 cups in championship in '26 and '35 (they were the Anglo montreal team)

The Montreal AAA's won 4 cup challenges (were the first cup winners)

The MTL Victorias (vics) won 5 challenges

The MTL Shamrocks won 3

The MTL Wanderers won 8 challenges (1 while in the NHA)

Obviously the challenge numbers are not really commesurate with the challenge numbers

at best it can be said that the city of montreal has won either 27 proper cups (counting the NHA wanderers cup) or 38 cups (based on anual defenses and captures)

the apparent count of 46 is illusory.

Of course all of this has no relevance to the Club de Hockey Canadien, but it is kinda fun. Also remember that in the early days of hockey (lets say before ~1905) hockey was really only played at a professional level in Montreal, Quebec City, and Ottawa (maybe you can add winnipeg to that list). Pro level hockey didnt even reach TO until prolly around 1910 or so... So the cup got traded around a bit early on.

I was going to say the same thing about the Habs hat that I got in a case of Bud Lite.... it has 23 Championships on the side.... I was like WTF??!!??

:blink: :hlogo:

I was going to say the same thing about the Habs hat that I got in a case of Bud Lite.... it has 23 Championships on the side.... I was like WTF??!!??

:blink: :hlogo:

Yeah, I believe that they also give away a Maroons hat... saw it in the comercial, so that would explain it.