Clarke Admits Defeat?

smon

Anyone who saw the Buffalo-Philly saw we definitely played better facing elimination than the Flyers who were absolutely smoked by the Sabres..but anyways Bobby Clarke has come up with a list of excuses for why the team sucked this year:

1. Injuries, not an inability to adapt to the new-look NHL

2. the Olympics.

But, #3 is a big one. Clarke called stay-at-home defencemen obsolete and said, "We have to get quicker."

In other words, this guy just admitted that signing Derian Hatcher and Mike Rathje to deals worth close to 10 mil against the cap for the next 3-4yrs was stupidity.

But since we're talking about Philly, there's no chance Clarke will ever be fired.

The article is here: http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=164871&hubname=nhl

Anyone who saw the Buffalo-Philly saw we definitely played better facing elimination than the Flyers who were absolutely smoked by the Sabres..but anyways Bobby Clarke has come up with a list of excuses for why the team sucked this year:

1. Injuries, not an inability to adapt to the new-look NHL

2. the Olympics.

But, #3 is a big one. Clarke called stay-at-home defencemen obsolete and said, "We have to get quicker."

In other words, this guy just admitted that signing Derian Hatcher and Mike Rathje to deals worth close to 10 mil against the cap for the next 3-4yrs was stupidity.

But since we're talking about Philly, there's no chance Clarke will ever be fired.

The article is here: http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=164871&hubname=nhl

Bobby Clarke is an idiot. He's good at making excuses and not owning up to the real problem. Everybody played in the olympics (The Avalanche sent more players than any other team and they seem to be doing okay.) Poor management is the issue. Eric Lindros was handled poorly (granted his dad and Lindros himself contributed to the ridiculousness.), the team is always supposedly really good, but never has any playoff success. It seems that Clarke doesn't know what to do in the new OR the OLD NHL.

Bobby Clarke is the reason that I look forward to having the Flyers eliminated, especially in the 1st round. I have little respect for the man. It's not that I'm not free of dumb moves but he has a nasty edge to him that makes his dumb moves biting.

He hurts his club regularly and yet, he stays on. He's a kind of Milbury but without making strange trades.

I will not be sad when he retires or is retired by he Flyers ownership.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Hockey/20...565665-sun.html

Ya gotta love Clarke - now he's blaming it on the Olympics and injuries....

Doesn't seem to understand that the hulking behemoths of the Broad Street Bullies syndrome isn't working anymore!

Speed and a good goalie..... Clarke has provided neither in Philly since he arrived as GM.

• 2 weeks later...
Bobby Clarke is the reason that I look forward to having the Flyers eliminated, especially in the 1st round. I have little respect for the man. It's not that I'm not free of dumb moves but he has a nasty edge to him that makes his dumb moves biting.

He hurts his club regularly and yet, he stays on. He's a kind of Milbury but without making strange trades.

I will not be sad when he retires or is retired by he Flyers ownership.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I have to agree. He is worse than trader Phil was in Tampa. All the changes he makes and never to goaltending leaves the team weak in the playoffs. Plus he is just nasty like he was with Roger Neilson.

Actually, considering that overnight Clarke went from a huge budget to a capped budget, he didn't do so badly. He's made some stupid moves in the past (like getting Adam Oates), but he usually compensates with some pretty great moves. That's a guy who has consistenly built contenders for the last many years, and if it weren't for poor goaltending (his biggest mistake), he would have won at least a couple of Cups.

As for this season, it was hard to predict how things would turn out; who predicted that Gionta would become a premier sniper? The Flyers have been hit with many injuries to key players: captain Keith Primeau was out for the season, megastar Forsberg was in-and-out of the lineup, top defensemen Pitkanen and Desjardins missed many games, and Gagne also missed his share of games. Despite all this, the Flyers were actually having a pretty good season until the last quarter, but then everything went to hell.

Hopefully for Philly fans, Clarke will adapt, and take some great decisions over the summer (maybe getting a top goalie); the core is strong with Forsberg, Gagne, Pitkanen, Carter, Richards, Desjardins, and Handzus. I think you have to respect a guy that tries his best to win every single year,and isn't afraid to take chances; sometimes it works, and sometimes it doens't, but the Flyers are always a tough, competitve team.

Actually, considering that overnight Clarke went from a huge budget to a capped budget, he didn't do so badly. He's made some stupid moves in the past (like getting Adam Oates), but he usually compensates with some pretty great moves. That's a guy who has consistenly built contenders for the last many years, and if it weren't for poor goaltending (his biggest mistake), he would have won at least a couple of Cups.

As for this season, it was hard to predict how things would turn out; who predicted that Gionta would become a premier sniper? The Flyers have been hit with many injuries to key players: captain Keith Primeau was out for the season, megastar Forsberg was in-and-out of the lineup, top defensemen Pitkanen and Desjardins missed many games, and Gagne also missed his share of games. Despite all this, the Flyers were actually having a pretty good season until the last quarter, but then everything went to hell.

Hopefully for Philly fans, Clarke will adapt, and take some great decisions over the summer (maybe getting a top goalie); the core is strong with Forsberg, Gagne, Pitkanen, Carter, Richards, Desjardins, and Handzus. I think you have to respect a guy that tries his best to win every single year,and isn't afraid to take chances; sometimes it works, and sometimes it doens't, but the Flyers are always a tough, competitve team.

CerebusClone I both agree and disagree with you. I agree 100% that Philly is a competetive team year after year. Where I disagree is his admiration for BIG slow players and not going after a premier goalie.

If Clarke does not go after Biron or one of the better goalies then he again has defeated the purpose of his Forsberg transaction which is to win now. This year the biggest problems was injuries I have to give him that. But he did it with old guys that get injured and some of the young guys followed suit.

Philly just does not even scare me any longer as I know Montreal can score on them. If they get a goalie, they will be better but Forsberg will be out until January 2007. Not good for them next year.

I'd actually like to know if Clarke was expecting anything outside of this.

Any Colorado fan knows the problems with Forsberg and injuries.

He could be the greatest money player in the game if he is healthy. When he did not sign in Colorado it was a good and bad day because of the injury question mark. I think Clarke was expecting a full season but obtained a worn out unhealthy player. Clarke rolled the dice and lost. We will see what happens in the 06/07 season with Philly but they will be without Forsberg again until January 2007. That is a tough pill to swallow if you follow the Flyers.

Definitely. When he is playing, hes the best there is. But, like you said, he's rarely playing. In 03/04 he had 55 points in 39 games. Obviously that production is amazing but for only 39 games, you still come off dissapointed.

I certainly was sad to see him go but the money can be used on other players. In P.L's case, Pierre Turgeon. :puke:

Definitely. When he is playing, hes the best there is. But, like you said, he's rarely playing. In 03/04 he had 55 points in 39 games. Obviously that production is amazing but for only 39 games, you still come off dissapointed.

I certainly was sad to see him go but the money can be used on other players. In P.L's case, Pierre Turgeon. :puke:

I was not overly excited about that signing. I was in SHOCK :o when the AVS got that excellent defensive liablility that got booed in Montreal. What is up with that?

I was not overly excited about that signing. I was in SHOCK :o when the AVS got that excellent defensive liablility that got booed in Montreal. What is up with that?

Haha, I remember posting that on here. Lots of mocking followed.