Euro Prospects

montreal

Holy crap, nice article and nice website.

Were you the one running this site?

http://members.fortunecity.com/habsprospects/

It got shutdown and I got bummed out since I visited it everyday for updates.

no I never heard of that site before. This is my first site as I'm not really good with computers but since I've been writing about our prospects for the last 3+ years I thought I would work on my own site. It won't be flashy cause I don't know how to do much, but it will be based more on just articles.

The site that is down had daily updates on all matches of Habs prospects. It even had break down statistics of every game they had in their respective seasons.

I only found out about habsprospects.com this week and I was going to say something after I found out it was you who made it.

It's a cool site. Lots of info.

Here's a nice article detailing the new player transfer agreement between the NHL and the IIHF:

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=8...hreaded&order=0

After reading this, I guess we can forget about bringing over Emelin or especially Korpikari to North America next season. As for Grabovsky, if we do sign him, I wonder if the Canadiens would be willing to pay that much money to develop him in Hamilton, or if he would remain with the team after camp.

Here's a nice article detailing the new player transfer agreement between the NHL and the IIHF:

After reading this, I guess we can forget about bringing over Emelin or especially Korpikari to North America next season. As for Grabovsky, if we do sign him, I wonder if the Canadiens would be willing to pay that much money to develop him in Hamilton, or if he would remain with the team after camp.

Actually, I just remembered that Russia didn't sign the PTA, so I think Montreal is free to negociate with Grabovsky and Emelin (and Lada for transfer fees)

Actually, I just remembered that Russia didn't sign the PTA, so I think Montreal is free to negociate with Grabovsky and Emelin (and Lada for transfer fees)

Russia is expected to sign a deal with the NHL and IIHF, there's an article about it on the IIHF website. Plus there was another good article about it on rushockey.com I still think the Habs will bring over any Euro prospect they feel will help the team either in the NHL or AHL. Yes it will cost more but when your talking about your top D prospect in Emelin, you get him over here. He's under contract till '08, so they would have to buy him out under the current system but that would likely change if the new deal is struck in time. Grabovsky is not under contract, so under the current system he should be free, but that could change as well.

Korpikari I would guess that they leave him in Finland since it was his first full year, although personally I'd rather see him over here in Hamilton.

A loophole would be to have a Euro prospect leave and play in the CHL, then sign him out of the CHL. Perhaps they will try this with Mikus. You don't have the 30 game rule and the transfer fee goes to the CHL club I believe (cause they have to pay a transfer fee to get each euro player) but this is the last year before the CHL cuts back on the amount of Euros in the CHL, a very stupid rule in my personal opinion.

Holy crap, nice article and nice website.

Were you the one running this site?

http://members.fortunecity.com/habsprospects/

It got shutdown and I got bummed out since I visited it everyday for updates.

The site you are going to no longer exists but I found it somewhere else.

http://habsprospects.hockeyhq.net/

Cheers and it is a very good site to keep up to date with the Habs prospects.

Swedish newspaper reported today that Montreal Canadiens "old prospect" Kim Staal feels NHL ready.

He scored 5 goals in 6 game in the World Championship and had 26 shots on goal. He has the physics to play in the NHL and I think the Habs could give him a contract. He's good but not great. But for a leauge minimum he's worth the chance.

They also reported that the Caps has cut lose Johnny Oduya of Västra Frölunda. Oduya is physical and have some offenisive upside. I don't know the details but I guess that this makes him available in the draft like Oduya and rank I him as the second best young defenceman in swedish hockey after Niclas Kronwall.

Swedish newspaper reported today that Montreal Canadiens "old prospect" Kim Staal feels NHL ready.

He scored 5 goals in 6 game in the World Championship and had 26 shots on goal. He has the physics to play in the NHL and I think the Habs could give him a contract. He's good but not great. But for a leauge minimum he's worth the chance.

I don't see Kim Staal signing with Montreal, unless he accepts a minor league contract to play with the Bulldogs. We already have Koivu, Plekanec, Bonk, and Begin at the center position, and what we need to improve at that position is an established top 2 or 3 center (depending where the organization sees Plekanec next season), so I can,t see how Montreal wouldf guarantee a roster spot for Staal.

If he's willing to start the year with the Bulldogs, then perhaps, but in that case, he would likely prefer remaining a very good player in European leagues instead of being a minor leaguer in North America. However, signing him could prevent a prospect like Urqhuart to get his chance in the AHL.

Urquhart really has been a terrible disappointment so far in his career; it was such a deep draft, and Montreal chose a guy who hasn't been able to crack the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Urquhart really has been a terrible disappointment so far in his career; it was such a deep draft, and Montreal chose a guy who hasn't been able to crack the AHL, let alone the NHL.

stuff happens.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Yeah its too bad considering 5 picks later Boston drafted Patrice Bergeron. Bummer

Yeah its too bad considering 5 picks later Boston drafted Patrice Bergeron. Bummer

I think that this was one of Montreal's more obvious miscues on the draft. There were other miscues, as we all know but many of those are understandable ones - players were picked for prety good reasons (player ratings, development, etc...) In Urquhart's case, if my memory servesme correctly on this one (and it doesn't always do so...), Urquhart himself was rated quite a ways down by TSN's draft guide and (I'm not quite as sure here) by Central Scouting. They were probably betting that they saw more of the guy than others did because he was playing in their own back yard, for the Montreal Rocket, the QMJHL team that has since moved to Prince Edward Island.

In fact that was also where they got Michaël Lambert, Maxime Lapierre & Jimmy Bonneau (the Rocket, that is...). It looks like Lapierre is the only one of those four who will amount to anything for the Canadiens. Urquhart & Lambert are very talented but just don't seem to have the sufficient package to put it all together. C'est dommage. :(

Edited by shortcat1

In fact that was also where they got Michaël Lambert, Maxime Lapierre & Jimmy Bonneau (the Rocket, that is...). It looks like Lapierre is the only one of those four who will amount to anything for the Canadiens. Urquhart & Lambert are very talented but just don't seem to have the sufficient package to put it all together. C'est dommage. :(

it is dommage..at least we have, in Lapierre, a third ine grinder who'll be a pain in the a s s to opposing teams stars