Gaborik Option?

GoHabs2002

According to Sportsnet.ca, the Vancouver Province is reporting that Gaborik is playing hardball and might settle for arbitration which would make him a UFA next summer. The article speculates that Minny might trade him before it gets that far.

Considering the Habs connection within the Wild organization, talks could be a lot more amicle than we would think.

According to Sportsnet.ca, the Vancouver Province is reporting that Gaborik is playing hardball and might settle for arbitration which would make him a UFA next summer. The article speculates that Minny might trade him before it gets that far.

Considering the Habs connection within the Wild organization, talks could be a lot more amicle than we would think.

that would be awesome..it would be better than all the UFA available...they can pick anything they want exept for price, komisarek and higgins..maybe kostitsyn as well. but for the rest, nobody's untouchable

that would be awesome..it would be better than all the UFA available...they can pick anything they want exept for price, komisarek and higgins..maybe kostitsyn as well. but for the rest, nobody's untouchable

Amen to that!

The only thing that might concern me is that he might be bringing a Yashin-like confrotational attitude. Maybe that might be moderated by the presence of Kovalev, Koivu and the other strong players in the dressing room and on the ice. Maybe he would see himself as being part of a growing, strenghtening group that is going somewhere and will soon have a veritable shot at the big prize.

Bottom line though, the Vancouver Province and other such 'fabricators' of rumours and newsmakers and fabricators, I won't be holding my breath. B)

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I'll be wishing and hoping.

Another such RFA albeit one with less of chance b/c of divisonal rivalries is Havlat.

Edited by gohabsgo252006

Yeah I mentioned this in an earlier thread, about Gaborik.

He would be a nice fit on this team, unfortunatley, he's confrontational attitude about his contracts is worrisome. Its estimated that he wants somewhere around $5.5 to $6.0 Million per season. Which for a guy who hasn't scored more than 30 goals and 65 points is worrisome.

Also Lemaire hates him and something is to be said about that.

However, if Montreal could swing a trade for him, I'd love to have him on the team. He is one of my favorite players in the league, and I enjoy collecting his cards.

Interesting turn of events no doubt regarding Gaborik.

He turned down 2 offers from the Wild, one of them was a five year deal paying him $5.5 M. a season.

In Gaborik's previous contract negociations in 2003-2004, Wild GM compared Gaborik to Brad Richards and wanted to pay him the same money Richards was making.

Looks like the Wild GM will regret those words.

Here's the report from RDS:

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/205136.html

These are the top assets on the Montreal Canadiens? You make us sound worse than we are. Higgins is available any day if we're getging Gaborik back in the deal. But like you all said, this isn't happening.

These are the top assets on the Montreal Canadiens? You make us sound worse than we are. Higgins is available any day if we're getging Gaborik back in the deal. But like you all said, this isn't happening.

there are better assets in montreal buts it's unlikely that risebrough would pick up kovalev or eabischer.

the names I put there are our future..now, if they want an older player, I agree. but I think that higgins will become a helluva player..maybe not as good as gaborik but he's the type of players that will win a stanley cups

I'm willing to get gaborik but not at all cost

Meh, I still think Higgins has become really overrated by habs fans now that he's scored 20. He's not a 1st line winger and never will be. But he's sto;; a good two-way player witha good work ethic. For a superstar like Gaborik, he and many others can leave. I would like to see Gaborik-Plekanec-Kovalev. (I think Gaborik's a W)

Meh, I still think Higgins has become really overrated by habs fans now that he's scored 20. He's not a 1st line winger and never will be. But he's sto;; a good two-way player witha good work ethic. For a superstar like Gaborik, he and many others can leave. I would like to see Gaborik-Plekanec-Kovalev. (I think Gaborik's a W)

meh, bth, a good two-way player with a work ethic, team first attitude and a modest but adequate offensive contribution level is still better, in my books, than an underachieving argumentative dissatisfied potential franchise player. A Yashin-like character is not needed in the dressing room and, especially, not on the ice.

meh, bth, a good two-way player with a work ethic, team first attitude and a modest but adequate offensive contribution level is still better, in my books, than an underachieving argumentative dissatisfied potential franchise player. A Yashin-like character is not needed in the dressing room and, especially, not on the ice.

This is the Gaborik thread not the Yashin thread. I wouldn't take Yashin for free. And I said "superstar" not underachieving argumentative dissatisfied potential franchise player." A winning team has got to have a mix of the Higgins' and the Gaboriks. No team will win with only Kovalevs but no team will win with only Higgins' either.

Perhaps Higgins is overrated to an extent by Habs' fans. His scoring success does largely depend on playing with Saku.

But on the same note, BTH, it's a bit of a stretch to think that Plekanec is a better player. He's definitely not a first line centre yet...

Perhaps Higgins is overrated to an extent by Habs' fans. His scoring success does largely depend on playing with Saku.

But on the same note, BTH, it's a bit of a stretch to think that Plekanec is a better player. He's definitely not a first line centre yet...

Nonono.. I meant for the second line! The first line would be Higgins-Koivu-Ryder assuming the Captain is healthy. I consider Plekanec a 2nd line C or atleast a guy who will become a 2nd line C.

Nonono.. I meant for the second line! The first line would be Higgins-Koivu-Ryder assuming the Captain is healthy. I consider Plekanec a 2nd line C or atleast a guy who will become a 2nd line C.

Plekanec needs atleast another full season before any expectations are placed on him about 2nd line center or 3rd line center. Definitley seems better than a 4th liner

This is the Gaborik thread not the Yashin thread . I wouldn't take Yashin for free. And I said "superstar" not underachieving argumentative dissatisfied potential franchise player." A winning team has got to have a mix of the Higgins' and the Gaboriks. No team will win with only Kovalevs but no team will win with only Higgins' either.

You're right, it is the Gaborik thread. My comment was meant to equate Gaborik with Yashin, attitude-wise. He may very well be more talented than Yashin but that immense 'franchise'-level talent can be pretty well torpedoed by a negative, dissention-creating attitude.

You're right, it is the Gaborik thread. My comment was meant to equate Gaborik with Yashin, attitude-wise. He may very well be more talented than Yashin but that immense 'franchise'-level talent can be pretty well torpedoed by a negative, dissention-creating attitude.

I have the sense that you are 100% correct in your view on this subject. He is going to look for a max contract of roughly $7.8 million and a stupid team will make a sign and trade deal and pay. Plus turning down huge money thinking he is as good as Richards helps solidify your point. Gaborik, Done absolutely nothing to warrant that type of money. Richards, STANLEY CUP.