Habs vs. Canes - Dec 5th, 2003 - Ribeiro Back In.

jl.roberts

---------------------------

<B>Time :</B> 7:00 EST, 4:00 PST

<B>Location :</B> Raleigh, North Carolina – RBC Arena

<B>TV :</B> RDS, RSO East

<B>Radio :</B> CJAD, CKAC, Team 990 (postgame)

<B>RDS Line-Up News</B>

<B>Stat Comparison</B>

<B>NHL.com Score Sheets</B>

<B>Projected to be Between the Pipes:</B>

?

versus

Kevin Weekes

<B>Projected CH Line-Up </B>

<I>20 Zednik – 11 Koivu – 73 Ryder

94 Perreault – 71 Ribeiro – 26 Dagenais

38 Bulis – 22 Begin – 24 Dackell

15 Langdon – 25 Kilger – 37 Sundstrom

79 Markov - 43 Brisebois

44 Souray - ?

51 Bouillon - ?

</I>

<B>Hurricane Line-Up</B>

<i>Look out for: O'Neill, Brind'amour, Cole, Francis, Markov, Vrbata, Staal</i>

<B>Probable CH Scratches</B>

<I>25 Kilger/37 Sundstrom (circle one), 17 Ward (ankle –damn Malakhov), 82 Audette (separated shoulder), Juneau (back - day-to-day)</I>

<B>Probable Hurricanes Scratches</B>

<I>Glen Wesley (day-to-day). Coaches decisions to be made.</I>

<B>Key Match-Ups</B>

0531.gif <b>vs.</b> 0782.gif

<b>Richard Zednik and Jeff O'Neill, a pair of hardnosed snipers.</b>

<B>Habs Game Thoughts</B>

[*]Joe Juneau has not made the trip to Carolina, so who do you give the third line centre spot to? Begin was impressive last game, but Chad Kilger and Jan Bulis are also possibilities.

[*]With a home and home series on the table for Coach Julien, will backup Mathieu Garon grab the start on Friday, in order to give Jose Theodore a rest for Saturday nights rematch?

[*]Can Richard Zednik, Michael Ryder, and Saku Koivu continue their success as the team's first line? Between the trio, they have combined for 14 points in their past five games together.

[*]Perhaps the most intriguing story of the night will be on the blueline, where Mike Komisarek has surely impressed but has by no means been assured of a roster spot every night. Of the Habs seven defenceman, one will sit. You make the call.

[*]Another subplot that will surely grab the attention of the media, is how Mike Ribeiro responds to his benching at the hands of Coach Julien. Citing his bloated shift lengths, coach scratched Ribeiro from the line-up on Tuesday. Have no worries, though, the 23-year-old pivot will be returning to his homestead on the team's second line. What do you expect from Ribeiro?

<B>Who to Watch For</B>

28735_2.jpg

29609_2.jpg

28753_2.jpg

I say Garon plays tomorrow and Theodore plays the marquee Saturday homegame , like usual...

As for the scratches... I'll go out on a huge limb and say Rivet gets scratched because he "complained" about being used as a forward to the media. I mean hey , Ribeiro got scratched cause his shifts were too long... CJ will scratch anyone , well... except Koivu/Zednik/Souray/Theodore :) .. so far anyways

:ghg:

Update for the game tonight : CLICK HERE

The Canadiens could be without the services of Richard Zednik tonight as he is suffering from the flu.

Should Zednik not be able to play , Mike Komisarek would take his place in the lineup and play on the 4th line (With Kilger/Langdon) , Theodore gets the start tonight.

:puke:

Komisarek as a forward? Are you kidding me? Whats CJ doing? He doesnt even know any more. What Komisarek needs is game action at his natural position , DEFENSE , he needs minutes there , not as a forward... waste of time! ... I realize he would be replacing Zednik , but come on! Cant a veteren D like RIVET (who was a FWR last game) play forward?

ARGH!!!

[Edited on 5-12-03 by Habs77]

KOMO as forward !?? Cool LOL.. well ok for 1 game it would be very hot! Since he doesn't know how to play forward, he'll only try to crunch-hit the Hurricanes d-men! He'll run everywhere in the ice and run into everyone like a real hurricane haha. Well, he'll only play 7-8 min anyways. That'll be interesting to see how he does! That might be an interesting show loll! :lol:

Habs getting called on everything , but we've killed off everything , Canes had a 2 minute 5on3 ... Then a 2 min 5on4 right after , habs killed off all..

Boughner had a huge hit on Bulis (Jan was wobbly , think he is fine) Quintal went right after Boughner , skated into the Canes backboards and slammed Boughner , then challanged him to a fight , Bob declined ....

INTENSE GAME!

1-0 Canes ... argh...

Shorthanded breakaway goal by Adams , caused by a stupid Bouillon play!

to jeppa : Yeah I'm watching , no matter where I am I will always find a way to watch , even if it means smuggling a satellite into a foreign country.... Luckily though I'm in Montreal.

[Edited on 2003-12-6 by puck7x]

Game ends in a 1-1 tie...

Not what we hoped for , but hey... we're playing a back to back home and home series , getting a road tie aint bad. Now lets win tomorrow

RDS 3 Stars

1)Theodore

2)Weekes

3)Bulis

Originally posted by jeppa

puck7x: What do you think about the effort tonight? I was listening on CJAD and what's with the discipline? Lots of penalties tonight.. Oh well, 1-1 tie, we better win tomorrow!  

Some of the penalties were well deserved , others the refs were way off. For instance , Langdon's elbowing penalty was deserved , it was a stupid play by Langdon hitting Murray with his elbows up... Rivets penalty at the end of the first was also stupid , but I'll give Rivet credit for defending Markov who was the victim of a late hit.

Who knows , maybe CJ will punish some players tomorrow for the lack of discipline and bench them (Hello Rivet? Langdon...)

As for the effort tonight , umm well we could of played better , the Koivu line which has been great of late was held to few chances tonight by the Brind'Amour line , the Bulis/Ribeiro/Dagenais line had obvious chemistry problems all night (A PP goal for Ribs from Dags , but still...) , the 3rd line was alright , but the styles of the players seemed to clash (Begin physical , the other 2 finesse) ... 4th line , well didnt do much of anything... Kilger had a weak game , looked like he was avoiding physical contact tonight for some reason , lazy forechecking....

What do you think of Dagenais play so far? Do you think he will stick around when Audette, Ward are back from injuries?

And what about Begin on the third line? It seems like it works pretty fine, but it's hard to judge just listening on the radio.

So what do you guys watching the games live think?

What do you think of Dagenais play so far? Do you think he will stick around when Audette, Ward are back from injuries?

And what about Begin on the third line? It seems like it works pretty fine, but it's hard to judge just listening on the radio.  

So what do you guys watching the games live think?

Dagenais's play has gotten worse with each passing game , when he was first called up (forget the nucks game..) he was playing physical , hustling more out there... Now he's playing like his reputation , soft and slow , plus he's taking way too many low percentage shots which usually end up being deflected by a d-mans stick...

Begin? He's doing great , and has been all season long, I love him on the 3rd line... But I think one of Sundstrom/Dackell has to be moved from that line and another grit/physical player has to be added to the line (Ward? Kilger?) ...

I think a more physical 3rd line could help the habs a lot. But then again, I've only watched 2 habs games so far this year..

But i seems like Dackell and Sundstrom are very simuliar player types and the bad thing is that they don't bring a great deal of physical presence, maybe they're not physical at all? You tell me :)

Maybe ward will be the answer when he somes back, but I think it's time to move either Sundstrom or Dackell and I don't think Kilger is the answer either. And I can't help to wonder.. does Sundstrom really like it in Montreal?

Well, maybe trade Sundstrom for a bigger 3rd line winger would help us? But who? What do you think?

I think a more physical 3rd line could help the habs a lot. But then again, I've only watched 2 habs games so far this year..

But i seems like Dackell and Sundstrom are very simuliar player types and the bad thing is that they don't bring a great deal of physical presence, maybe they're not physical at all? You tell me :)  

Maybe ward will be the answer when he somes back, but I think it's time to move either Sundstrom or Dackell and I don't think Kilger is the answer either. And I can't help to wonder.. does Sundstrom really like it in Montreal?

Well, maybe trade Sundstrom for a bigger 3rd line winger would help us? But who? What do you think?

If by physical you mean getting in the corners and fighting it out for the puck , then yeah they are "physical" , but as for hitting , they will rarely throw hits ... They are not agressive players at all. Its alright to have a one of 2 guys like this , but not as many as the habs have... Perreault , Sundstrom , Dackell , Dagenais , Juneau.

I agree that its time to move one of Sundstrom or Dackell , at least Dackell is a UFA at the end of the year , so thats the end of him in Montreal , same for Juneau and Perreault. I cant wait for the summer :)

Sure we could try to trade Sundstrom , but his value is probably pretty low right now... And why would any team want to give up a big (physical?) 3rd line winger for him? ... I'll take a draft pick for him at this point.

I used to like Sundstrom when he played in SJ , he played so well there , or was it maybe just chemistry with his linemates? , Anyways Sundstrom is not working in Montreal , so like him or not (I know we've got alot of Swedes here :D ) he needs to go.... Its best for his career anyways.

Originally posted by puck7x

If by physical you mean getting in the corners and fighting it out for the puck , then yeah they are "physical" , but as for hitting , they will rarely throw hits ... They are not agressive players at all. Its alright to have a one of 2 guys like this , but not as many as the habs have... Perreault , Sundstrom ,  Dackell , Dagenais , Juneau.  

I agree that its time to move one of Sundstrom or Dackell , at least Dackell is a UFA at the end of the year , so thats the end of him in Montreal , same for Juneau and Perreault. I cant wait for the summer :)

Sure we could try to trade Sundstrom , but his value is probably pretty low right now... And why would any team want to give up a big (physical?) 3rd line winger for him? ... I'll take a draft pick for him at this point.

I used to like Sundstrom when he played in SJ , he played so well there , or was it maybe just chemistry with his linemates? , Anyways Sundstrom is not working in Montreal , so like him or not (I know we've got alot of Swedes here :D  ) he needs to go.... Its best for his career anyways.

By physical I mean players who can do the things you mention in your post. Players who can dig the corners and are not afraid to hit some ppl from time to time ;) (you get it) That's the type of player we need on the 3rd line.

And regarding a possible Sundstrom trade. Maybe you have the answer in your post. Accually, I think he is a skilled player, but it seems like he doesn't really fit in Montreal. So hopefully another GM knows what he can do in better environment and then we can somehow bring a bigger physical player to Montreal. Maybe it's just a dream of mine, but I sure as hell would be nice :)

So puck7x, which player would you bring to Montreal for the role, if you were to choose?

So puck7x, which player would you bring to Montreal for the role, if you were to choose?

Ian Laperriere comes right to mind... 6'1 200 pound 29 year old Montreal native (but that has little to do with why I like him) , he's big , he's tough , he's physical , he's a LEADER... He's strong defensively...

Would love to have him on the habs...

Right now he's injured , concussion.

Another Swede sticks in with a comment...

The Sundström issue is a really big problem.

He has the skill to play on one of the top two lines. But we don't have the space for him since we are using prospects on the top lines in ordes to give them sufficent ice time.

And if Sundström doesn't want to continue on the fourth line he has earn his spot.

This is Sundströms last year of his contract, right? I hope that we trade him soon. Since I don't see us re-signing him we might just trade him before he is an UFA.

There should be some value. After all he is a really good hockeyplayer. Maybe Vancouver or Colorado could be intrested?

And Kilger... I just can't stand him. Why doesn't he try to play?

Trade Traverse, Dykhuis, Dwyer, Sundström, Dackell, Kilger, Langdon (We would still have Begin and Blouin) for all the draft picks in 2005 so we can have Crosby!

Interesting choice.. I've always thought of Laperriere as a "going under opponents skin" type of player. Never really thought of him as a big checking player. And doesn't he take many stupid penalties?

But im sure you're right, after all I think you're able to watch more hockey than I am.. :(

But those concussions.. tricky..

Who on our squad had to be moved to LA you think?