Svatos Negotiations Stalled

MCeh

In a more standard year for NHL rookies, i.e. a year without the likes of Ovechkin and Crosby, Marek Svatos would have been a shoe-in for rookie of the year candidacy. Even with his injury limiting him to 32 goals and 50 points in 61 games.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_4049247

Edited by MCeh

Yeah, this was reported on Friday. As screwed as the team is for next season, we don't have time to mess around with wannabe superstars. We offered upwards of a million and he's walked away. Until he can prove that he won't be an injury hazard, eff him. We could get a decent pick in return.

A million is not, unreasonable for a player who has one season in the NHL with pretty good numbers but was injured and did not play the full season, he has to prove that was not a fly by night operation. He will make the dollars next time once he has a proven track record.

I would hate to see them trade him; he has the look of a very skilled player but his salary demands could be an signal that he has other talents that aren't so nice.

Edited by Chips

A million is not, unreasonable for a player who has one season in the NHL with pretty good numbers but was injured and did not play the full season, he has to prove that was not a fly by night operation. He will make the dollars next time once he has a proven track record.

I would hate to see them trade him; he has the look of a very skilled player but his salary demands could be an signal that he has other talents that aren't so nice.

Exactly, the 03-04 season was actually supposed to be his first but he was injured (shoulder) in the 3rd or 4th game of the season and then didn't play again until there was only 2 games left in the year. If he can ever stay healthy then he can be one of the most electric players in the league, I remember lots of people here were amazed by him during the Avs/Habs game in January. And I would like him to do it with the Avs but if he wants to be a greedy, self-centered asshole then I don't have time for players like that.

I kinda wish they considered my application when Lacroix stepped down. :P. From the article though, it sounds like his agent is feeding him a bunch of crap. I'd never heard of the guy and I meant to see who else he represented. Maybe theres some kind of a pattern with his players.