Bruins @ Habs - Vintage Night : Dec. 16th/03

jl.roberts

<SIZE=3]<COLOR=royalblue]It's Vintage Night! -</COLOR] <COLOR=sienna]'Bulis, Habs Going Bear Hunting'</COLOR] </SIZE]

----Habs---- -----Habs------ ----Habs----

<B><COLOR=red>Time :</COLOR> </B> 7:30 EST, 4:30 PST

<B><COLOR=darkslateblue>Location :</COLOR> </B> Centre Bell - Montreal, Quebec

<B><COLOR=red>TV :</COLOR> </B> RDS

<B><COLOR=darkslateblue>Radio :</COLOR> </B> CJAD, CKAC, Team 990 (postgame)

<url=http://www.rds.ca/canadien/><B>RDS Line-Up News</B></url>

<url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/teammatch?teama=mon&teamb=bos><B>Stat Comparison</B></url>

<url=http://nhl.com/nhlonline/nhl?service=direct&context=Scoreboard/changeDayLink&location=/onthefly/scoreboard&DATE=12/16/2003><B>NHL.com Score Sheets</B></url>

<B>Between the Pipes:</B>

Jose Theodore vs. ?

<B>Last Game CH Line-Up:</B>

<I>38 Bulis – 11 Koivu – 73 Ryder

20 Zednik – 71 Ribeiro – 82 Audette

37 Sundstrom - 90 Juneau – 24 Dackell

25 Kilger - 94 Perreault - 15 Langdon

44 Souray - 05 Quintal

79 Markov - 08 Komisarek

51 Bouillon - 52 Rivet

</I>

<B>Probable CH Scratches:</B>

<I>17 Ward (ankle), 26 Dagenais (healthy?), 43 Brisebois (groin)</I>

<B>Habs Injury Report:</b>

<B>Steve Begin:</B> Will have an MRI Tuesday. He feels he can play, but CJ most likely is unwilling to risk any further damage.

<B>Patrice Brisebois:</B> Brisebois may out until after Christmas.

<B>Jason Ward:</B> Wardo is now skating with the team. He has not yet received medical clearance, but he should be ready to play Thursday vs. the Preds.</FONT>

<B>Key Match-Up: </B>

0114.gif <b>vs.</b>0230.gif

<b>Wanna Race? A pair of excellent two way forwards, Jan Bulis and Brian Rolston.</b>

<b>Canadiens Stats: </b>

<b>Habs Scoring Leaders</b>

Mike Ribeiro 30 5 14 19

Yanic Perreault 28 9 7 16

Michael Ryder 30 6 10 16

Sheldon Souray 31 8 8 16

Richard Zednik 30 10 5 15

<b>Habs Ice Time Leaders</b>

Sheldon Souray :23:34

Patrice Brisebois :21:26

Andrei Markov :21:05

Stephane Quintal :20:34

Craig Rivet :19:33

<b>Habs +/- Leaders</b>

Patrice Brisebois +4

Nik Sundstrom +4

Stephane Quintal +4

Richard Zednik +4

Andy Dackell +4

<b>Who to Watch For:</b>

28775_2.jpg

28724_2.jpg

28773_2.jpg

Great game overall. Dackell played an huge game vs the Thornton line. Thronton played 26 minutes... and got ZERO shot on goal ! wow lol

Great saves by Theo.. he's really the Theo of 2001, no doubt about that.

That was a pretty exciting game.. but it sucks that it ends in a stupid tie. Add some excitement! Put shout outs breakaways after the tie! It's simple. NHL would be lot more exciting and fun to watch the games until the end. :clap:

The squeaky wheel gets the oil, or in this case, the whiny Thornton gets away with beheadings. Every game he shows me why he's a) a superbly talented player who should be considered as one of the league's best and B) why he's a classless prat who occasionally deserves a good swipe upside the head. Okay Dax was on his case at centre, but to take your opponents' helmet and yank it around - with the head still in it no less - is just plain dangerous. Thornton is going to have to watch his step. One day a coach is going to get fed up with him and his antics (typical high stick from him; he's never been able to control his lumber) and send out a good to just pummel him illegally.

A game of momentum, swinging back and forth, and I'd say that in the end it came out pretty much even. Good plays on both sides (along with a few dopey plays) made for some good hockey to watch (and without 15 goals? how could it be) and some intense play between two teams that don't like each other. The habs 'waterbug' offense against the giant posts on the Brin defense at one end and at the other the brutish Bruin offense against the pipsqueak Montreal defense. Some serious periods of domination for respective sides when one team took advantage of the weakness of the other.

In the end it came down to two goalies playing near or at the top or their games, and that's the way good hockey should be. This Raycroft kid is going to be one to watch; I like his positioning and his confidence.

~~

Notes: (performance)

Theo: Excellent game, thought there were one or two times where his rebound control had me holding my head in anguish, but in a game where he makes the kinds of saves he did, I don't think I can hold that against him. A+

Bouillon: While he did play a good game and stayed within his means, more often than not he was out-muscled, particularly by that Thornton line, down low and that led to some very long shifts where he was scrambling. I still love the way he carries the puck and makes things happen, and tonight he did it intelligently, rather than holding on too long and making mistakes. B

Rivet: He had an awful first shift, and it was on the tip of my tongue to phone the Bell Centre, get him and tell him to fake an injury. After that, though, he acquitted himself fairly well, though he too was dominated a few times down low because he failed to get control of the puck quickly enough to move it out. B

Komisarek: I'm sure anyone who watched will have noticed that huge check he threw against the boards, and if that's any indication of what we're to expect, well I know it had me salivating. He played a good game other than that, still a little slow to make his decisions, but proactive in his many of his plays when he felt the confidence. It's coming much quicker now. B

Markov: Except for that play late in the game where he decided to play the puck and not the man, he was right up there in terms of defensive play. As usual, his proactive play and wins of battles along the boards were superior in number and quality, and I'm pleased to see him playing a solid game again. B+

Quintal: Nothing special, but nothing bad either. He was behind a couple of times but really, it wasn't too much of a problem tonight. I thought he played particularly well after taking Thornton's stick to the eye when he came back, settled in, and just did the easy smart plays - and threw a little more body. B

Souray: Took one stupid penalty, but other than that, played a strong game and a game where his physical presence on that back line was badly needed. He also made strong outlet passes and is really starting to play the more patient game, I've noticed him working into recently. A-

Kilger: Shrug lived up to his name. When you're on the fourth line, you just have to make things happen. He didn't. D

Langdon: Is that the first time since Nilan that a habs player has fought more than a couple of times without getting injured for the season? He went to the box and seemed okay, and I seem to recall him playing after that as well. B+

Perreault: Certainly used more often than the other fourth liners for specialty faceoff situations but was really poor in the defensive zone tonight. I found him leaving his man regularly. Offensively he had a chance or two, which is good because he's at least getting them, but didn't really do all that much overall. C+

Sundstrom: Oh dear. Invisible Man strikes again. I'd sing a theme song saying 'watch out' for Invisible Man, but really, his name says otherwise. C

Dackell: Good strong game. I think he's really picked it up over the last few weeks and is playing not only strong defensively, but is also kicking in a physical element. He was getting under everyone's skin tonight and really should have drawn a few more penalties, but by that point the refs were either in catch-up mode, or it was late in the game when penalties don't matter anymore. (And what is that? More reffing garbage.) B+

Juneau: *sigh* I was really disappointed with his game tonight. Sure, he helped by stopping Thornton, and did a decent job there, but other than that he was really mistake prone. He had one shift early in the game where he was brilliant, hitting and creating and dominating, but after that.... C+

Audette: Okay everyone, let's all sing the Smurf theme song together. La-la-la-la-la-la la-la-la-la-laaaaaa! C-

Zednik: He's just not playing well with Ribs. Had his stick lifted on the one real chance he had, and other than that took low percentage shots which resulted in a whole lot of habs fans (and players) rolling their eyes and shaking their heads. C+

Ribeiro: We need more second line players, because his line can't do anything on the PP at the moment. Ribs is beautiful at the dangle plays, but when he gets the puck by the side of the net with the goalie conveniently absent, he has this habit of waiting while the goalie gets back so he can once again show everyone on the planet that he can deke out said goalie and then roll his eyes when no one gets in position for his 'perfect' (not quite les gars sur RDS) pass. Oh, and where was that perfect pass at the end of the game? *sigh* He's playing okay, but I expect so much more from him. I find his decision making to be atrocious at times and, while he does move well with the puck, off it, particularly in his own zone, he looks like some poor lost waif. B

Bulis: More quiet night than usual. He was still skating well, but the puck never seemed to get towards him much. That happens, from time to time, as any team sports athelete will tell you. B+

Ryder: He skated too long with the puck precisely once; the rest of the time he was passing wonderfully (totally underrated passer) and set up the goal really nicely. (That was a great five-man cycle.) His defense is still getting better and better and I love the fact that he doesn't ever give up. He's also getting stronger and stronger on the boards, and is still getting into brilliant position to make great plays. B+

Koivu: Looked much more like himself tonight, though on the broken play where the puck bounced off Bouillon's skate to Rolston, it was, ostensibly, his man. After a couple of games being somewhat off his normal pace, he was skating and moving the puck well tonight - I get the feeling his game is more affected by lousy ice than some others. B+

~~

A tie against the big bad Bruins, and I think we'll take that and run, thank ya'll very much. They deserved the point, and against a team of that calibre, the result is perfectly satisfactory. I don't think there were many fans that went home unhappy after watching that game. Shame we didn't play like that in the previous two games, we would have beaten Florida and would have handled Tampa a lot more handily than we did.

Nashville comes a-visiting on Thursday, and that's going to be a tough game. The Preds might not be the best team in hockey, but they work hard - harder than the Bruins, I'd warrant. As long as we give a concerted effort like we did tonight, though, I think we should come out satisfied with ourselves, and will probably takes some points to the bank. But play like we did in Florida and we'll totally deserve the loss that'll be inflicted upon us.

A concerned fan.

Nice Guy!.

Although, it's hard to say much about Kilger considering he was only given 4:00 of time. I mean c'mon CJ, Souray spent more time in the box than Chad spent on the ice.

Nashville should be very tough, I agree. It'll be nice to see Dan Hamhuis, and Vokoun is a brick wall.

I hate to point this out, but Vokoun is yet another Montreal graduate (lost in the expansion draft).

And I'm sure he'll be looking forward to facing his old team, seeing as he's never beaten us before (0-1-1 with a 2.07 GAA and .921 SV%

[Edited on 2003/12/17 by TheAussiePosse]