Jack Johnson On Trading Block

Chuko

Canes are said to be looking to deal Jack Johnson according to tsn.ca

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=177467&hubname=

Seems Canes management is upset that Johnson turned down their offer to join them this year, preferring to return to university. Canes are likely looking for D since Kaberle is out for an extended period of time.

Johnson would be an amazing addition to the Habs and exactly what we need, but we don't really have D to spare to give in return.

Not sure if it's because he doesn't want to play for Carolina and would play somewhere else, or if he simply wants to play another year in university no matter what.

Seems Canes management is upset that Johnson turned down their offer to join them this year, preferring to return to university. Canes are likely looking for D since Kaberle is out for an extended period of time.

Johnson would be an amazing addition to the Habs and exactly what we need, but we don't really have D to spare to give in return.

Not sure if it's because he doesn't want to play for Carolina and would play somewhere else, or if he simply wants to play another year in university no matter what.

It's hard not to dream about having a Michigan University duo on defense with the Habs ^_^

The problem of us not having so much D to give in return isn't a big one. No matter who we give, there is a high chance that Johnson will be better. This is a bluechip prospect on the block. That very rarely happens.

The problem of us not having so much D to give in return isn't a big one. No matter who we give, there is a high chance that Johnson will be better. This is a bluechip prospect on the block. That very rarely happens.

The problem is that Carolina needs an NHL defenceman right now and so we would have to give up one of our better Dmen (Markov?) for a (very good) prospect. If we do that our defence will be quite weak this year. Also I don't think Jackson is worth Markov. Trading , soon to be UFA Souray or even Rivet, would probably be worth it but I doubt Carolina will take either of those guys especially with only a year left on his contract.

The only way we could get Johnson would be in a three way deal with a third team that has a good defenceman they would give up for a couple of good forward or goalie prospects. I'd love to find that team but I don't know who it is.

Edited by Peter Puck

You know, as much as I've been saying the past few weeks that I think our team is set (sorry, Dumont), this is something you don't pass up on.

Markov to me is untouchable, and Komi to a degree as well, but I do believe that a deal could be structured involving Souray and a forward prospect. Yes it hurts us in the short run (this season) but I don't see us as a contender this year even with Souray - and with Johnson we have potential to be scary good on D down the road. Plus with the savings from Sheldon's salary Gainey can pick up (or trade for) an NHL defenceman this season to plug that hole.

We all know how rare blue-chip defense prospects are and how it's the only weak spot in an otherwise strong prospect pool for the CH. Obviously, you don't wanna weaken the NHL squad to replenish the farm, but Jack Johnson is to me an exception - I roll the dice on this one any day of the week.....

Johnson wants to stay in school and 'Canes want him to play this year. Anybody wanting to trade for him is going to have to wait until he is done his studies. Who knows maybe he may want to have something to fall back on in case hockey does not work out.

The problem is that Carolina needs an NHL defenceman right now and so we would have to give up one of our better Dmen (Markov?) for a (very good) prospect. If we do that our defence will be quite weak this year. Also I don't think Jackson is worth Markov. Trading , soon to be UFA Souray or even Rivet, would probably be worth it but I doubt Carolina will take either of those guys especially with only a year left on his contract.

The only way we could get Johnson would be in a three way deal with a third team that has a good defenceman they would give up for a couple of good forward or goalie prospects. I'd love to find that team but I don't know who it is.

Though Johnson, is projected to be better than Markov, I would hesitate moving him as well. Though I would consider moving Komisarek for him. We have to wait another year but we end up with the better player. It's too good an opportunity for Gainey not to inquire into.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind sending off one of our two top defensemen for Johnson. My 'choice' would be Souray. I like Souray but to lose him for the long-term possibilities of Johnson would be just fine for me.

I know full well that this would substantially weaken our defense and likely compromise our shot at the post-season but the short-term pain, for me, would be well worth the potential long-term gain.

On top of that, if Souray wants to go to another team (out west, I know), that means that we'll lose him at the end of this year anyway. We wouldn't likely get much for him at potential trade time near the end of this season so, to get this possible prize would be just like getting the 3rd pick along with the 5th in last year's draft - what a dream situation!

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1

If that's the sole reason why they want to trade him – and I seriously doubt they want to trade him – then I wonder how they managed to build a Stanley Cup team. I mean, so what if you have to wait a year or two to get him on your team. Holy crap, is your blue line that thin that you need a raw rookie back there to defend the title? I know he's a concensus blue chip prospect, but that's just ridiculous. The fact that Dion Phaneuf made the kind of impact he made, does good ol' JR think he's got another one like him on his hands? And if they believe that is so, then all the more reason not to trade him.