Superstar

newf

OT: I see the topic title and think of that lame SNL movie of the same name. Never saw it, thankfully.

To be quite honest, not a lot of teams have "superstars" on them. Kovalev, Samsonov, Koivu are some big names that I wouldn't quite sneeze at. I'd rather have a solid team than one dominant player joined by others that are merely a supporting cast.

I guess I'm old - but I think the term superstar is too loosely applied today.

We bandy it about applying it to anyone who has a couple of above average seasons, suddenly declaring them a superstar? There are several stars in the league, and several young Habs have the potential to be just that.

But the realm of superstar is reserved for only a few - the very best..... the elite... the cream of the crop as they say. Applying it to those unworthy of such recognition simply degrades the realm of the true superstars in any sport.....

I guess I'm old - but I think the term superstar is too loosely applied today.

We bandy it about applying it to anyone who has a couple of above average seasons, suddenly declaring them a superstar? There are several stars in the league, and several young Habs have the potential to be just that.

But the realm of superstar is reserved for only a few - the very best..... the elite... the cream of the crop as they say. Applying it to those unworthy of such recognition simply degrades the realm of the true superstars in any sport.....

I agree with what you said. The term superstar is applied to a player too loosely used nowadays.

:ghg:

I have only seen grabovsky highlights, and he does have great speed, acceleration, all that skilled scoring prowess, and as someone who is only 5' 7 (me), and who hates ppl knocking short guys, i gotta say, to be a superstar you must have everything. Either that or an overwhelmingly confident attitude which leads you to play your assets perfectly and your deficiencies are out of mind.

Also, judging superstardom is difficult for someone new.

But, i believe we do have someone who definitely has superstar potential, as long as his confidence is there.

Alexander Perezhogin

Hes got the size atover 6 feet and over 200 pounds (even added more weight this year), hes also one of the fastest players on the team at full steam, and as his old coaches used to say, his acceleration is above average, which, in the new nhl is probably the greatest asset as the pace is back and forth all the time.

He is a sturdy boy, ended primeaus career with a nudge, and i have yet to see anyone knock him off the puck or beat him in a battle along the boards. Hes got a bullet of a shot, which is also very accurate.

I could keep going on with this stuff..... but better yet, id challenge someone to point out a valid flaw with this potential superstar. notice i say VALID!!!

So.......hit me?

Tossing aside Superstars status ( Gretzsky, Lemieux of lore or Jagr, Crosby, Oveshkin of today ),...could Perezhogin ever becomes one of the NHL stars of tomorow ?

Requirement for such would imply that a player (forward) would need to shine brithly on the no. 1 line of his team for many consecutive years in a row.

Really the question about Zhogin is.....will he managed to establish himself as a top 6 in MTL ? if so,...when ?

I really like him as well,...as you said, all the ingredients are there,.......albeit in an understated manner.

Will he asserts himself on the third line and gives the CH the all important scoring depth it absolutly needed

to be one of the good team out there this year ?

He will enjoy line stability, capable linemates along with the green light from Carbo about maxing-out

their offensive potentiel. Will he focus and delivers ?

This season will be telling about him and it will affect to a significant extent the potentiel of our season.

Edited by PB

"...He could've squeezed another year out of his NHL career in another city but the only place he can be Tie Domi is in Toronto. He is one of the few players in NHL history who turned a career as a fourth-line winger into superstar stature...."

Will someone please tell me when this 'bowling ball with ears' became anything but an everyday mediocre player - a ton of heart but not he has never displayed that much real skill?

I present to the jury proof positive that the term 'Superstar' is no longer a valid measurement of an athletes true elitism!

I rest my case......

"...He could've squeezed another year out of his NHL career in another city but the only place he can be Tie Domi is in Toronto. He is one of the few players in NHL history who turned a career as a fourth-line winger into superstar stature...."

Will someone please tell me when this 'bowling ball with ears' became anything but an everyday mediocre player - a ton of heart but not he has never displayed that much real skill?

I present to the jury proof positive that the term 'Superstar' is no longer a valid measurement of an athletes true elitism!

I rest my case......

'',....but the only place he can be Tie Domi is in Toronto. ''.....but even there they to had to kicked is butt out of the league.

Fat Face's departure is a sign that the NHL is on it's way to full recovery from the degrading last decade where being a Tie Domi was more marketable than a Nicklas Lidstrom.

Edited by PB