Superstar

newf

I can't remember the last time Montreal had a bonified superstar that performed up to their expectations in point production.... do you think we will have a superstar anytime soon?

for example... when was the last time montreal had a hugeeee buzz on a draft pick they made?

:ninja:

who do you think from our current roster can be a superstar? .. anyone?

Well of course Patrick Roy was the last bonafide superstar on the team. Jose Theodore had a superstar season, but its been since '95 when Roy was traded that Montreal has had a superstar. The last defensman superstar was Chris Chelios and the last offensive superstar was probably Guy Lafleur. I would have said Bobby Smith or Mats Naslund but they just didn't put up the offensive numbers long enough.

ITs no suprise really though. The team never drafts higher than 8th or so(with the exception of the lockout year) , and is usually around the the middle of the pack when drafting. How are you suppose to draft superstars when your average draft position is the 15th overall pick in the last 25 years?

As for who could potentially be the next superstar? Well if they continue enforcing the rules they way they have theres a chance that Grabovsky could do it. Andrei Kostitsyn hasn't quite lived up to his expectations yet and really needs to prove something this training camp. If he doesn't, his stock in the organization will drop rapidly. I don't think Latendresse has the skating ability and ultimately that'll make him a 30 goal scorer at best. Other than that? I'm not sure there's anyone in the organization who has star quality yet!! But there is some very good talent there.

We won't win another cup until we do have that superstar... that's a given!

I may be wrong, but virtually every team that has won the cup did have at least one bonified superstar to rely on. I know its a team game but the lack of that quality superstar in Montreal will plague them.

Like Kaos mentioned the last superstar we had was Patrick Roy... and look what he helped to do... 2 cups

Latendresse got a ton of buzz, but that doesn't mean anything yet...

If Price developes as he's supposed to, we may (once again) have a superstar goaltender.

It can be argued that Kovalev was a Superstar, but his production has dipped off a bit lately.

The team would either have to trade for a big-name guy or finish in the Bottom 3 to draft one.

I don't know about you, but I'm hoping we don't finish that low, lol. Also, hopefully one of the prospects we've drafted more recently will surprise us and develope beyond their initial potential. :)

A young Saku Koivu led the league in scoring for the first half of, what was it, the 1995-96 season? He was just dominant, clearly a top-5 talent. That was before he suffered a catastrophic ACL tear that ended his season and also permanently ruined his speed (which had been absolutely blazing before that). The Koivu we've seen over the last decade is a shadow of the player he would have been but for that injury. So Saks is the superstar that never was - I wish more people remembered that.

A young Saku Koivu led the league in scoring for the first half of, what was it, the 1995-96 season? He was just dominant, clearly a top-5 talent. That was before he suffered a catastrophic ACL tear that ended his season and also permanently ruined his speed (which had been absolutely blazing before that). The Koivu we've seen over the last decade is a shadow of the player he would have been but for that injury. So Saks is the superstar that never was - I wish more people remembered that.

But he still has more heart than just about any player in the league.

Wasn't Koivu leading the league in PTS at the moment of his injury?

That was freaking sad

Chipchura: The next Gainey

I see Ribeiro, if he plays on a good line, could hit 75pts a year with his passing skill.

Grabovski can fly.

Kovalev is great, the reason he only his production was low is because, he played the first half of the season with a bad knee, he missed 13 games and was then the only goal scorer on his line. With samsonov there, heis production will go up, a guarantee it.

I think we can have a super-star sooner than we think

We won't win another cup until we do have that superstar... that's a given!

I may be wrong, but virtually every team that has won the cup did have at least one bonified superstar to rely on. I know its a team game but the lack of that quality superstar in Montreal will plague them.

Like Kaos mentioned the last superstar we had was Patrick Roy... and look what he helped to do... 2 cups

Does a superstar is required to win the Cup ? I doubt it.

One thing's for shure thought, a superstar with a flawed team could never win a Cup.

Even a SOLID team + superstar like Thornton can get stopped short in the very first round as they

did twice lately by the starless CH .

Just last year a starsless team like Buffalo could have easily made it all the way had injuries

not been in the way.......really, I think that a team arboring the deepest scoring depth within it's lines has

the greatest chances to go all the way.

Superstar's like performances in a playoffs run is often necessary but doesn't depend necessarely on the

team owning a certified superstar player....

a player rising for the occasion is all that is required to be effective....think multiple ConnySmythe winner

like Claude Lemieux or last year ConnySmythe like Ward in goal for Caroline.

Great scoring depth + no weak spots elsewhere + ConnySmythe winner = CUP.

This scenario is viable and doesn't required a team owning an elite superstar player in it's roster.

PS: An elite player in the CH's future ? hummm.....maybe Price ?

Edited by PB

I see Ribeiro, if he plays on a good line, could hit 75pts a year with his passing skill.

I'm sorry, the use of the name 'Ribeiro' under a thread with the title 'superstar' has sent me into a paroxism of giggles.

That would be nice but I'm not sure that this'll happen.

The ones who have the most potential (in our depth), so far as I can assess are Price & A. Kostitsyn. They're both loaded with talent. It's just a matter of it all coming together. They're both quite young and, usually forwards don't mature till the mid-20's as far as I understand and goalies a bit later than that.

Latendresse has the potential of being a regional (Québec) superstar but, again, it's a matter of it all coming into place.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I think Markov is on his way to becoming that. He just doesn't get the hype....yet. I hope he plays here for many years.....

On potential? Price, Kostitsyn, but it's still a long way from here to there for both....

That would be nice but I'm not sure that this'll happen.

The ones who have the most potential (in our depth), so far as I can assess are Price & A. Kostitsyn. They're both loaded with talent. It's just a matter of it all coming together. They're both quite young and, usually forwards don't mature till the mid-20's as far as I understand and goalies a bit later than that.

Latendresse has the potential of being a regional (Québec) superstar but, again, it's a matter of it all coming into place.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I hope one day to say, "told you so shortcat1".

The beauty of this is you hope I say this someday too. :D

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Are we talking about Superstars or Legends?

Roy and Lafleur are both Legends. Chris Chelios is a superstar just like Alex Kovalev.

Koivu? Semi-Star?

Mats Näslund? Star.

I don't think the Habs needs a "Superstar" to win the cup. We need a team that gives it all and where everybody has a role and a purpose. Right now, I think we're there.

I have allready bet on the Canadiens winning the Stanley Cup. And for the first time ever as a Habs fan I do think that there's a chance even if it's a small one.

at one point we had great players like turgeon, damphousse recchi even koivu.

I think our last super star was *cough* richer but for he went donw like a ton of bricks. he had superstar writen all over him but I don't know what happened.

I think our next offensive or defense superstar is not in our system yet.

rpice could be one but it'll take at least 5 years

Kovalev not a superstar in ur books??

Remember dat game vs Ottawa when he cameback from injury to single handedly win da game 4 MTL?

I was there!... I tell ya he played a helluva game.

As far as superstars go I think that Higgins is on the right track... just think about what he could have done if he played the first 60 games like he did the last 20,......could be awesome!!

I wish that we did have a superstar. I can see higher point totals from all our players though this year... just got that feeling that this edition of the Habs along with a good pickup somewhere mid season could be a cup winner. I like to think that we couldve done it last year if the #$%^@! Williams hadnt put Koivu out. :angry:

GO HABS GO! :hlogo:

Remember.. I was there that night. I was still dancing in my seat because Saku took over the pts lead about 10 minutes before when he scored. I was so pumped... Then I saw him hobbling to the bench on the most minor hit, and was bummed out the rest of the night.

He never was the same and has never really met the expectations on him since. Sure, tonnes of heart. Good skill. But by no measure has he been a top 20 forward in this league since. Shame, but its time people admitted it. He is a quality center, but he would be better as our number two center behind a superstar.

I have only seen grabovsky highlights, and he does have great speed, acceleration, all that skilled scoring prowess, and as someone who is only 5' 7 (me), and who hates ppl knocking short guys, i gotta say, to be a superstar you must have everything. Either that or an overwhelmingly confident attitude which leads you to play your assets perfectly and your deficiencies are out of mind.

Also, judging superstardom is difficult for someone new.

But, i believe we do have someone who definitely has superstar potential, as long as his confidence is there.

Alexander Perezhogin

Hes got the size atover 6 feet and over 200 pounds (even added more weight this year), hes also one of the fastest players on the team at full steam, and as his old coaches used to say, his acceleration is above average, which, in the new nhl is probably the greatest asset as the pace is back and forth all the time.

He is a sturdy boy, ended primeaus career with a nudge, and i have yet to see anyone knock him off the puck or beat him in a battle along the boards. Hes got a bullet of a shot, which is also very accurate.

I could keep going on with this stuff..... but better yet, id challenge someone to point out a valid flaw with this potential superstar. notice i say VALID!!!

So.......hit me?

I can't remember the last time Montreal had a bonified superstar that performed up to their expectations in point production.... do you think we will have a superstar anytime soon?

for example... when was the last time montreal had a hugeeee buzz on a draft pick they made?

:ninja:

who do you think from our current roster can be a superstar? .. anyone?

Markov, Kovalev, Samsonov, Koivu

we just traded Theo away cause he wasn't a superstar anymore.

Kost, Latendresse, Perez all have superstar potential

I think Fischer could have that potential too.

Price definitly has superstar potential

Higgins is the next Koivu.

Markov, Kovalev, Samsonov, Koivu

we just traded Theo away cause he wasn't a superstar anymore.

Kost, Latendresse, Perez all have superstar potential

I think Fischer could have that potential too.

Price definitly has superstar potential

Higgins is the next Koivu.

I don't think Koivu, Markov, Samsonov are/were "superstars"... not by the standards I have for being a superstar.

Superstars put up big time points and come through in the clutch or all eyes are on them when they step out onto the ice. There is a buzz about them when their name is mentioned. I'm not saying that superstars need to score 100 points every year or score 50 goals.... but its a big part of it in my books.. :D hahah... there is a difference between a defensive superstar and an offensive superstar... and THE SUPERSTAR who can do it all!!... Montreal is lacking that right now and have been for a long time. I don't know if any of the young guys will develop into a superstar. Wait and see I guess....

Kovalev did have that superstar essence about him... but his inconsistent point production is questionable.

He is fun to watch though!! :P

:ph34r: