Kostitsyn (43) & Price (47) On Hockeysfuture.com's Top 50 List

shortcat1

Andrei Kostitsyn & Carey Price are both on hockeysfuture.com's TOP 50 PROSPECTS list.

Kostitsyn comes in at 43 (a substantial drop from # 15 from a few lists ago) & Price lists at 47 (1st time on the list).

The reasoning for their positions is kind of weird. They're noted as being top-end talent and have been rated by hockeysfuture.com with better potential than many before them but still they're waaaaaaaaayyyyy down near t he bottom of the list.

Kostitsyn is rated an 8.5B which says that they expect him to be, at worst, an on & off of the 1st line player. Price is rated at and 8.0C which has him being, at worst, a back-up goalie.

Here's a list of players considered 'equal to' or 'less than' in potential (& likely talent) than our two prospects.

47. Carey Price, G – Montreal Canadiens 8.0C

26 - Tuukka Rask, G -Boston Bruins 8.0C

39. Justin Pogge, G – Toronto Maple Leafs 8.0C

43. Andrei Kostitsyn, RW – Montreal Canadiens 8.5B

5. Ryan Getzlaf, C – Anaheim Ducks 8.0B

6. Gilbert Brule, C – Columbus Blue Jackets 8.0B

8. Alexander Semin, LW – Washington Capitals 8.5B

9. Patrick O'Sullivan, LW – Los Angeles Kings 8.5B

10. Nicklas Backstrom, C – Washington Capitals 8.5B

12. Wojtek Wolski, LW – Colorado Avalanche 8.0B

13. Bobby Ryan, RW – Anaheim Ducks 8.5C

15. Phil Kessel, C – Boston Bruins 8.5C

17. Rob Schremp, C – Edmonton Oilers 8.0B

18. Jordan Staal, C – Pittsburgh Penguins 8.0C

19. Jonathan Toews, C – Chicago Blackhawks 8.5B

20. Alexander Radulov, RW – Nashville Predators 8.0C

27. Steve Bernier, RW – San Jose Sharks 8.0B

28. Andrew Ladd, LW – Carolina Hurricanes 8.0B

30. Corey Perry, RW – Anaheim Ducks 8.0B

32. Robert Nilsson, LW – New York Islanders 8.0B

34. Rostislav Olesz, C – Florida Panthers 8.0B

36. Derick Brassard, C – Columbus Blue Jackets 8.0B

37. Niklas Bergfors, RW – New Jersey Devils 7.5B

38. Patrick Eaves, RW – Ottawa Senators 7.5A

40. Lauri Tukonen, RW – Los Angeles Kings 7.5B

41. Peter Mueller, C – Phoenix Coyotes 8.0B

42. Roman Voloshenko, LW – Minnesota Wild 7.5B

It can be argued that Kostitsyn has now been a few years on the list and still hasn't made the Canadiens but, on the other hand, he hasn't dropped below 8.5B. He was, at one poing, a 9.0C which is essentially the same as 8.5B. The other newer guys still have time to rise (like Anze Kopitar), I know, but they still have time to drop in their rating too like Higgins did :wacko: .

This is Price's 1st showing on the list.

By the way, at this point, Ben Maxwell is rated as being at best 3rd line forward... at worst a top-end AHL player - only good for injury call-ups. :wacko:

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1

they also said that montreal traded for to get Price. somebody droped the ball there

Hmmmm.... interesting... I didn't see that... I still can't find where it says that but, hey, you're likely right.

it was in the original article, but I (and I imagine others) emailed the HF staff and they fixed it.

you're right they fixed it.

That list means diddly squat, really... And the ratings are a joke.

shortcat1, haven't I told you already to stop giving HF so much credit? You could round up any 5 guys here on HW and get better stuff. Nobody at HF is a pro. They're basically a fan site like any other, ISS or not.

That list means diddly squat, really... And the ratings are a joke.

shortcat1, haven't I told you already to stop giving HF so much credit? You could round up any 5 guys here on HW and get better stuff. Nobody at HF is a pro. They're basically a fan site like any other, ISS or not.

I was just missing hearing your voice... that's all. :):wacko::)

These rating systems suck.... they generally have no bearing on reality. Kostitsyn star is flaming out quickly. He hasn't impressed anyone at the AHL level and has done even less at the big club training camps. It has almost come to the point where a change of scenary is what might be best for him.

Its too bad Calgary had to nab Phaneuf at that 9th spot. He'd look pretty sweet on Montreal's blueline right about now.

As for Price, I'm sure he'll develop well, it looks good so far and in about 3 years time we'll see him in Montreal

I was just missing hearing your voice... that's all. :):wacko::)

I'm sure your wife will be thrilled to learn that.

It has almost come to the point where a change of scenary is what might be best for him.

Kostitsyn just spent the only first two years of his life in a radicaly different enviornment in North-America and he needs "a change of scenary"???

Well, that's a ill-fitted cliché if I ever saw one.

If anything Kosty needs more time to settle down and adapt. He's just 21 and he's showing progress. That's what he needs. None of this quick "next!" solution. This is hockey, not speed-dating.

Why would Kostsitsyn need a change of scenery when he's never really played in this one yet? What he really needs is decent ice time at the NHL level with good players to prove himself. He's got impressive offensive skills, he's improved in many areas since we drafted him, he finished very strong in the AHL last year, he was great in the WC, and he's having a pretty good camp.

At some point, we'll need to give a chance to shine like Philly did with Carter and Richards, San Jose with Bernier and Michalek, Buffalo with Vanek, Calgary with Phaneuf, and so on... If we send our best offensive prsopect back again to the minors - which he doesn't deserve right now the way he's playing - we'll just waste his talent, and risk seeing develop either back in Russia or for another NHL team.

Kostsitsyn needs to play now... (actually I think we should have kept him at the end of last season when he was last recalled).