Jeff O'Neil to be traded within 48 hours?

puck7x

Anyone else hear this story? Bill Watters (Former leafs asst-gm / now radio/tv personality) appearantely said this on his radio show , and on sportsnet ...

This is pretty interesting stuff if its true. Think the habs are in the running? If you beleive rumours then the habs are in the running for every single player out there , which is sort of funny since its usually the leafs who are rumoured to be after everyone, and not the habs ... kind of a role-reversal this season for some reason.

I wouldnt mind O'Neil on the habs. But what would the cost be? Is Gainey prepared to give up young talent/prospects? Hossa? Hainsey? etc... Gainey said that he would not move young players such as those. We'll see....

I would have loved Jeff O'Neill to be on the Habs had Ryder not come through.

However, with this season's showing, we have shown that we have the players to perform night in and night out.

ONeill can play both LW and RW, although the same is said for Zednik, although we as habs fans know the truth to that. A line of O'Neill-Koivu-Zednik would send shivers down the opponents necks, and down our spines.

A completely healthy line-up with O'Neill added would look like this:

O'Neill-Koivu-Ryder

Dagenais-Ribeiro-Zednik

Bulis-Begin-Ward

Langdon-Juneau-Dackell

That leaves Perreault, Sundstrom, Gratton and Kilger. Unless one of them are leaving, we get stuck with a bunch of NHLers in the press box. Not the best idea

For some reason, I can't see an O'neill trade working out:

- I doubt Carolina want another centreman (Perreault)

- Bulis doesn't have much chemistry with Begin (not that we've been given a lot of chances to see)

- Our abundance of Dmen wouldn't help us, as Carolina also have strength in numbers

- We'd have a glut of wingers

- As a UFA at the end of this season, what garuantee do we have that he'll stay with us?

- Depending on what Carolina is asking, chances are it'll be too much. Unless they ask for Hossa, or a draft pick that is conditional to us retaining O'Neill.

Too much to think about, and unless the M&M man can provide insight, I don't see it happening. *knock on wood*

[Edited on 2004/1/20 by TheAussiePosse]

I'd love O'neill on the Habs... he's a real warrior and comes to play big in the playoffs. Remember 2001-2002? Remember his face? That black eye... and he kept going... he's pretty much a Power Forward... man I'd love to get him. Hossa and a 3rd rounder would be my offer. I'd love to have these lines for the rest of the season...

Zednik-Koivu-Ryder

O'neill-Ribs-Dagenais

Bulis-Juneau-Ward

Langdon-Begin-Kilger

On the bench: Dackell, Sundstrom, Perreault

Hopefully Perreault can be traded for even some more toughness on the 3rd line... Dackell and Sunstrom could come in handy in case of injuries...