Habs @ Sabres - Jan 27/04

jl.roberts

1071247427-_ch_01.jpg

In Goal: Martin Biron vs. Jose Theodore.

8460535.jpg& 8462047.jpg

Time: 7:00 ET

Date: Jan. 27/04

TV: Reseau de Ribeiro :D

Radio: CJAD 800, Post-game Team-990

Habs Photos

Player Stats

Speed to Kill Sabres?

Counting on Koivu

Probable Habs Lineup:

The colours signify offensive production as of late; orange being hot, and blue being cold.

38 -- 11 -- 73

20 -- 71 -- 26

37 -- 90 -- 17

76 -- 94 -- 15

44 -- 05

51 -- 43

79 -- 52

Probable Scratches:

08 (healthy), 17 (shoulder - questionable) 22 (shoulder - 7-10 days), 24 (knee), 26 (bonehead suspension), 90 (back - questionable), 46 (concussion).

Key Matchup:

2055.gifvs. 1639.gif

Spelling talent on the blueline, Markov + Kalinin.

Players to Watch:

28757_2.jpg

<B>#44 Souray</B> - Battling boo-boos, but he can do better.

28735_2.jpg

<B>#11 Koivu</B> - Ain't no flu gonna slow him down. Needs to silence the critics.

Hopefully the guys will be rested and ready to go against the Sabres. Souray and Koivu are 2 guys who really need to pick up their games , the last 2 games were very forgettable for both (I'm not picking on these 2 , just saying that they are key parts of the team , and we rely heavily on them)

It will be interesting to see what happens with the 12th forward spot... Will Ward play less then 2 games after his shoulder seperation? ... It would show alot of courage if he did.

Will Komisarek play as a forward for the second time this season? Will CJ be forced to use him if Ward cannot go? Or will we callup someone from the dogs at the last minute?

:ghg:

This will be a big game for the boys. Koivu and Souray really need to have a better effort. Theo will have to be on top of his game as well. Biron has been on somewhat of a hot streak lately and usualy seems to play well against the Canadiens. I hope that Komisarek dresses as a defenceman as I don't feel dressing him as a forward does anything to help his development. I would rather see Bouillon dress as a forward than Komi.

If this proves to be another lackluster effort, will it be taken as a sign by management that a shakeup is needed to spark the team?

I hope that Komisarek dresses as a defenceman as I don't feel dressing him as a forward does anything to help his development.  

Your right it won't help but I don't think one game at forward will hurt his development... We just have to trust Julien to make the right decision.

It absolutely will help Komi to dress as an attacker since his single largest problem with is game is his adaptation to the speed of the NHL.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with his defensive efforts, merely that he makes his decisions just a shade too slow. The more game time he gets, no matter where he's positioned on the ice, will help to acclimatize his game and improve his overall play.

The big problem would be sitting him for more than two or three games in succession.

ACF

Not a very fun game so far. Nice play by Theo on Drury's breakaway. Ribeiro could've prevented the second save if he'd taken two steps to tie up his man. :?-

The Lines...

Bulis - Koivu - Ryder

Zednik - Ribeiro - Balej

Juneau - Perreault - Sundstrom

Langdon - Kilger - Komisarek

After One.

I wish Bulis had a better set of hands. He'll let off a shot (on the PK, for example) that is so incredibly weak.

Also, Sundstrom, he made a great play to block the pass out of the Buffalo zone on the PK, and then he turns around, skates slowly to the bench, and the Sabres easily have a 5-3 in the offensive zone.

Souray has had his bad moments tonight too, but has had a few nice plays, including a nice little 'fake 'n spin' on the powerplay.

Bulis has had a few chances only to shoot it wide or over the net so far tonight. Three wide in the first four minutes.

Perreault took a bad penalty that led to the Sabres goal. I wonder if it wouldn't do to sit him for a couple games like before the heritage classic. It might kick start his game. Then again, he needs to play with other skilled players to be effective.

:puke::puke::puke:

What a boring horible game. Habs deserved a better fate , all things were pretty much even going into the third (Score was 1-1) , habs dominated the first half of the third period but Biron saved the Sabres ass about 4 times , a few of them miracle saves...

Then Afinogenov scores , then Kotalik scores after Bouillon goes knee on knee with someone and is on the ice (Not complaining that the whistle wasnt blown though , since the habs had the same situation go in their favour earlier in the year) ... then Drury scores a very weak goal 5-hole on Theodore to make it 4-1 , but its not like the habs had any hope of coming back by then anyways...

This team needs some energy , this team needs Begin back.

Bright spots for tonight... 3rd line with Juneau-Perreault-Sundstrom played pretty decent , they got a good cycle game going a few times , and didnt hurt us on defense. Also Balej had a great 3rd on the Zed/Ribs line after being a non-factor in the first 2 periods, but was stoned by Biron twice.

- Noticed that Julien took Koivu off the point on the PP to start the third... Good move imo ... Koivu just isnt playing well lately (had his moments in the offensive zone tonight) , so its better not to put him in such a liability of a position.

Colin's recap is up...

http://www.habsworld.net/show_big_news.php?id=300

I disagree that the Koivu line was dominant all night long ... I still think Koivu and Ryder could bring their games a notch higher , to where it was before the NJ game. As for the YP penalty and the lazy play resulting in a goal , guess I forgot about that :) , credit for pointing it out. That penalty was completely un-needed , habs could of retained puck possesion without Perreault taking out his man.

Well, I still think the two can bring their games a notch or two higher as well, quite honestly. However, the fact that everytime they were on the ice there was a habs scoring chance is enough for me to call it domination of sorts. ;)

Sax was very easily the best player on the ice, and Ryder was right up there as well, and even if they can do better than tonight, it was nice to see the two taking the game to the Sabres.

More importantly for me, honestly, was to see how the future is going to look, and in Balej, it's going to be hot indeed! That third period he put in was stellar for a kid in ostensibly his first real NHL encounter (I hardly consider spot work with Langdon and Perreault a real beginning).

Anyone realize just how good he is on the boards, or how he can both take a hit and dish them out when needed? I've seen him play, and heard about his season this year in Hamilton, but I was really impressed. Honestly, Dags is fourth line when he comes back except for that chemistry going between he and Ribs.

G

[Edited on 2004/1/28 by Guy!]

3 losses in a row now... Bad.

After coming from such a nice serie it's hard to only have scored 2 goals in 3 games.

And maybe it's a hint of what Canadiens have to do in order to improve the team.

1. We are being pushed around by bigger teams. Both the leafs and Devils won because they are bigger and stronger.

2. We may have the depth, but not that many tops. If we wan't to win more than 2 games in a row all of our leading players have to play at their level.

Koivu and Sourray has been cold. Markov and Zednik can do better. And when that occur we lose games.

I think the Habs needs two more physical players and maybe a russian-puck carrying defenseman with the ability to keep a safe blueline.