Next Canadiens captain?

Cataclaw

I agree that you don't have to like all the players on the roster, but you do have to love the team and all that it encompasses, which it is apparent that you do. However I disagree with the statement that all the players have to be leaders. It's just not possible. That is in fact not the way the world works, there are hierarchies in all facets of life. Simply put we all look to the alpha male to determine how a situation will play out....now I'm not saying that he is the be all to end all, not even close. But he is our captain and that alone warrants a certain amount of respect. The amount of heart and soul you see from him as a player and our captain is obvioulsy a personal opinion. I agree Koivu is no Rocket, no Cournoyer and no Lafleur. But to deny him what he has earned is a shame.

I am curious as to what your opinion is on Lafleur's comments about Kovalev. Since you noted Lafleur then I would assume you respect him as a player, his opinion of Kovalev being ruled by whims is quite strong.

Edited by JustHabs

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious as to what your opinion is on Lafleur's comments about Kovalev. Since you noted Lafleur then I would assume you respect him as a player, his opinion of Kovalev being ruled by whims is quite strong.

I say that Lafleur should lace the skates back up and show alex how its done...LOL just kidding

No i dont agree with him on that one....Cant really give a reason except that Kovalevs numbers speak for themselves. And as long as hes producing and doing his role...(which he is) I dont think Lafleur should be concerned. He should probably write about how Latendresse has no points in all games so far. Even samsonov...give the guy a break...It just shows that he wants to take on a scoring role and not be known as someone who is on the fourth line with grinders...he had a slow start, but give the guy some time to come around (which he already did). Also, like someone stated in another thread...Lafleur is anti-european. I guess he could have stated that no European captain has won a stanley cup ever....but I think thats irrelevant. He has to remember that alex has to be creative with the puck sometimes, because those moves are necessary to create a quality scoring chance since his team mates are covered. And I dont think that he drags the team down. Guy can rant all he wants, but at the end of the day...what are the habs without kovalev and samsonov?

They still show up...and im 100% sure they will continue to do so.

Edited by justintb

I say that Lafleur should lace the skates back up and show alex how its done...LOL just kidding

No i dont agree with him on that one....Cant really give a reason except that Kovalevs numbers speak for themselves. And as long as hes producing and doing his role...(which he is) I dont think Lafleur should be concerned. He should probably write about how Latendresse has no points in all games so far. Even samsonov...give the guy a break...It just shows that he wants to take on a scoring role and not be known as someone who is on the fourth line with grinders...he had a slow start, but give the guy some time to come around (which he already did). Also, like someone stated in another thread...Lafleur is anti-european. I guess he could have stated that no European captain has won a stanley cup ever....but I think thats irrelevant. He has to remember that alex has to be creative with the puck sometimes, because those moves are necessary to create a quality scoring chance since his team mates are covered. And I dont think that he drags the team down. Guy can rant all he wants, but at the end of the day...what are the habs without kovalev and samsonov?

They still show up...and im 100% sure they will continue to do so.

lol, Lafleur would get killed in the first minute of the game. :lol:

Saku all the way, he the heart of the team without him it's not canadiens, c'mon he like only 32, still young I can still see him with the habs till he 40 and being the captain still with great leadership and hopefully to bring a cup back ... and of course Saku will retired 1 day... by then Higgins should have enough experience to become an captain and being one for many years to come! We need captains that has the heart and soul into this team!

Justin - you're missing the point. You're needlessly criticizing Koivu...like you said most people here like him, so what's the point of antagonizing others and criticizing the captain?

If you like Kovalev, great. Just don't expect everyone else to like him as much as well.

I expect Koivu to sign another contract after his current one expires in 2008 or 2009 or whatever it is. By that time Chipchura should be playing fulltime and if he is I'd expect him to be the next Captain.

When he was drafted it was because he was looked at as a leader and potential future captain. I'd also say Chris Higgins is a very good possibility and will definitely wear an A wthin a few short years