Next Canadiens captain?

Cataclaw

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On this group of players the only worthy replacement would be Higgins, he's showing pieces of being dominant and giving his opinion. And i also think he's a guy that fits good in the group, lovable guy. Fan favourite. And a smart guy! Al good sides, but not in the next 3-4 years. But i also think that Koivu will be here till his 36th or so. No worries for the next years. Koivu can educate his replacement very well!

If I'm not mistaken, Koivu has three more seasons left on his contract after this season, with a no-trade clause thrown in. He'll be 34 by the end of that season, which I don't see as the end of the road if he's playing well...maybe he'll be shifting to a defensive role as a third line centre by then, willing to stick around for a million or so and be captain for another 2 years. I doubt he'll be tempted by much more than that on the UFA market. So I see him as captain through June 2011 or so. To me, that distant date affects the list of potential successors:

Dandenault - dubious. Likable but not a leader. Probably will be gone by then.

Souray - will be gone before Koivu.

Rivet - will be gone or about to retire when Koivu leaves.

Begin - will probably still be around, but as much as the media would love him with a C, I don't think he holds it in the room.

Ryder - I love this guy, but he thinks too small for the C.

Bonk - retired.

I think it has to be Higgins - and this has less to do with him lighting it up this year and more to do with his work ethic and stability. How many media battles is he going to have with coaches between now and retirement? Zero. With other players? Zero. You can't even picture it. Komi's the runner-up, but it has to be Higgins.

I agree that if Latendresse can be groomed enough to be a solid two-way guy, he would be the best choice in 5 years.

I'm loving Begin's intensity. If he could get the room to listen to him, I feel that his actions on the ice are consistent every game. He's 80% heart and 20% talent, but that kind of intensity has a way of rubbing off on guys. I love this guy.

To everyone saying Koivu may become a defensive centre or go to Minnesota or "follow Craig Rivet" - which may be the funniest thing I've ever heard, by the way, it's pretty simple. When Saku is 34 or 35 and no longer feels he can be a top line player, he'll head back to TPS Turku and play for his father Jukka.

I think that a future Canadiens captain one day will be Kyle Chipchura. After Koivu moves on, well it's hard to say. Definitely Chris Higgins seems like captaincy material...but it's too early to tell.

Id Like to see Kovalev wear the C...he really plays with heart out there

But who knows when he will hang the skates up? I hope hes got some good quality years left in him.

But I agree with KoZed that Senority counts, and Chris Higgins hasnt been in the NHL long enough to take that role by 2008, at most I would give him an A. Perhaps Chipchura is going to be promising, and might take an A. The other A I would give would be to Boullion or Begin. In a perfect world, I see a big name coming to Montreal who can take the Koivu captaincy role (Crosby, Lecavilier)...Only time will tell! GO :hlogo: GO

But who knows when he will hang the skates up? I hope hes got some good quality years left in him.

He certainly does. Sometimes a little too much heart. I'm a fan of Kovy's but I think he might be a bit to emotional and sometimes lets his emotions get the best of him to the team's detriment. I don't want him to change his style, I just don't know if that translates to captain material.

I agree with people who say Captain Koivu will be around for quite a while, and Higgins will be ready and have enough experience under his belt by then to take over.

Who knows what will happen in Montreral in the next couple of years. Anyone could step up and shine in that time.....Koivu has something special, something besides raw talent. The guy's got heart and emotional or not, he leads the team with respect. I think Higgins would be an obvious choice for now....but Souray has potential.

are we watching the same habs ??

kovalev is the laziest, whiniest player of them all. I'll give you that he has talent and thrives when needed but his primadona act as to go...besides, I don't think he'll be in montreal for too long.

OK, Lets do a tale to the Tape here "Marky and Komi"

Alex Kovalev: 2006/07: 11GP, 4G, 6A=10PTS

ATOI: 17:33

Career: 929GP, 319G, 436A= 755PTS

Saku Koivu: 2006/07: 11GP, 2G, 8A=10PTS

ATOI: 18:33

Career: 580GP, 139G, 331A=470PTS

Koivu Is on FIRST PP UNIT

Kovalev is on tail end SECOND UNIT

Koivu Has had the "honour" to be a first liner with Higgins and Ryder (goal scorers)

Who has Kovalev been put with...Nothing but BUMS. Mike Ribeiro...who was worth a bag of pucks

Thomas Plekanek....another bum who is nowhere near the skill level of Kovalev.

Mark my word that if he had a DECENT center, and saw some first unit powerplay time, he would out achieve Koivu even more so then he does now! How can you even debate that Kovalev is a whiner? When have you seen Saku Koivu throw a hit? Kovalev can throw the body...He took on darcy tucker for gods sake...hes not afraid of anyone. Koivu doesnt deserve to be the Montreal Canadiens captain! Alex has been in the league longer then him, and he is a TRUE definition of a veteran. Why do you think he was the captain of TEAM RUSSIA IN THE OLYMPICS for god sakes...I was at a Canadiens game live last saturday, and will be in attendance this Saturday as well when the devils come to town....Want to know what I saw? I saw Koivu get OWNED in the faceoff circle to Mats Sundin....His faceoff win percentage is pathetic. Kovalev just walked into the circle in the past couple of games and is already playing Center better then Koivu, let alone his win percentage is substantially better; In conclusion, I think your comparing apples to oranges here Marky and Komi...Saku Koivu will never, and I mean never, score goals like Alex Kovalev, and will never be at the same, or surpass Alex Kovalev's talent level...I rest my case...AK27 For Captain!!!!! :hlogo:

Koivu doesnt deserve to be the Montreal Canadiens captain! Alex has been in the league longer then him, and he is a TRUE definition of a veteran. Why do you think he was the captain of TEAM RUSSIA IN THE OLYMPICS for god sakes...I was at a Canadiens game live last saturday, and will be in attendance this Saturday as well when the devils come to town....Want to know what I saw? I saw Koivu get OWNED in the faceoff circle to Mats Sundin....His faceoff win percentage is pathetic. Kovalev just walked into the circle in the past couple of games and is already playing Center better then Koivu, let alone his win percentage is substantially better; In conclusion, I think your comparing apples to oranges here Marky and Komi...Saku Koivu will never, and I mean never, score goals like Alex Kovalev, and will never be at the same, or surpass Alex Kovalev's talent level...I rest my case...AK27 For Captain!!!!! :hlogo:

WHOA!! :huh:

I don't even know where to start here....wow...

ok,

1) Saku was also Captain of an Olympic Team...how many medals did Kovalev win?

2) Saying scoring goals equals leadership is like saying Combat officers need to be better soldiers than everyone in his/her platoon. Eveyone has their role, an officer is a leader, decision maker, and has strategic vision. The sniper (lets say a private) is an excellent shot. The platoon can't do without either member!

3) Koivu has definitely layed the body, and still does, he is is little, but tough to play against, any NHLer would agree that Saku is tough to play against.

4) Saku cares about this team, the community and his mates. Kovalev only cares about himself.

5) Saku fought cancer, gets hit by HUGE guys (for a living!!), and almost lost an eye. He is still playing despite all this. What kind of dedication has Kovelev shown?

Look, I like Kovalev, he is talented (when he gives a sh*t), but he is not friggin comparable to Saku in terms of passion, leadership and dedication. Everone has their role Justinb, Saku is a leader, Kovalev is sniper,

and you are a moron.

Thats all I can think of...other members please help me educate this person!!

Edited by cfposi

justintb: i will refrain from getting upset at your koivu bashing. You are entitled to your opinion. However, i must agree with cfposi.

Scoring != Leadership

Koivu : Cancer survivor, eye injury survivor, father, active in the community, all-around great guy, role model and inspiration to the city as much as his teammates.

Kovalev is no jerk either, his work with kids is noted, but let's face it, he doesn't compare to Koivu. He may have leadership qualities, which is why he wears an 'A' (last i checked) but to say Koivu is undeserving of the captaincy is pure unadulterated blasphemy.

_retourkoivu23.jpg

Edited by Cataclaw

You can't equate stats with a good Captain. Since when was that the primary factor ? It has already been said that Koivu can unmistakeningly hold his own..... maybe we should try and be supportive of all of the Habs. Why the bashing on Saku ?

Thats all I can think of...other members please help me educate this person!!

I like Kovalev too. He has ALL the talent in the world, but to doubt Koivu after he has consistently shown so much heart, determination, hard work, classiness???? Don't understand where this guy's coming from. Here's one more thing Koivu did: when he went into remission in FEBRUARY of 2002, he was back playing in APRIL (anyone who's ever seen someone recover from cancer has to know that this is a VERY short time to be back in shape, let alone NHL game-playing shape). We clinched our playoff spot on the night he got back. Fans at the game gave him the longest standing ovation in Canadiens history (something like 7.5 minutes). In the playoffs that year, he tied for the team lead of 10 points with Donald Audette and Doug Gilmour. This after having cancer just 3-4 months earlier. If that's not amazing, I don't know what is.

I like Kovalev too. He has ALL the talent in the world, but to doubt Koivu after he has consistently shown so much heart, determination, hard work, classiness???? Don't understand where this guy's coming from. Here's one more thing Koivu did: when he went into remission in FEBRUARY of 2002, he was back playing in APRIL (anyone who's ever seen someone recover from cancer has to know that this is a VERY short time to be back in shape, let alone NHL game-playing shape). We clinched our playoff spot on the night he got back. Fans at the game gave him the longest standing ovation in Canadiens history (something like 7.5 minutes). In the playoffs that year, he tied for the team lead of 10 points with Donald Audette and Doug Gilmour. This after having cancer just 3-4 months earlier. If that's not amazing, I don't know what is.

I was at that game... I'm not sure how long the clapping lasted, but it lasted long enough that the metal bands on my watch shattered from getting bounced around on my arm. Good times! :D

another thing. The argument that Koivu is LUCKY to play with Ryder and Higgins is bogus, considering that last year in the playoff's when got injured, they both suddenly became invisible! He makes them better players. They work hard, but they wouldn't necessarily BE first liners without him.

And about the standing ovation, I just remember a really good Red Fisher article about it, and I'm pretty sure he said 7.5 minutes.... AMAZING moment. Very emotional.

I think it will be be Sidney Crosby... when that kid hits 25 years old he'll be a free agent and the next captain of the Montreal Canadiens.

Crosby is a great player but he hasn't shown anything that would make me give him the C.

And Ryder? *sigh*

Chipchura will proabably someday get it, but I think it'll be Higgins first. Or Kovalev, if we want to ry experimenting - maybe it'll light a fire under him or something.

If Koivu left and the players voted today, there is no doubt that Craig Rivet would get the "C". However, there is a good chance these two guys will retire together. Other than that, the only other guy right now I see as captain is Sheldon Souray, but I doubt he'll resign here for next season.

As for the future, besides Kyle Chipchura (if he fulfills the hype of his leadership skills), I don't see anyone who's captain material. I love Chris Higgins, but he seems to be a silent leader and probably more the type of guy who'll get an "A". There is perhaps Mike Komisarek. but to be honest, I have no idea what his leadership skills are like.

Fortunately, I also think that the importance of the captain is highly overrated, and doesn't make a single difference on the ice or in the locker room. Joe Sakic is also a silent leader, and no one will question his status as one of the very good players to have played in the NHL, and no one can take his Conn Smythe or his Stanley Cups away. Guys with leadership skills will emerge and get guys together no matter what letters (if any) they have on their jersey.

What Makes Saku Koivu so much better? I dont care if hes a small guy...

Ok...so hes small..is that why people like him? He cant stickhandle like kovalev...he cant hold people off like kovalev..hell..Kovalev just stepped into the circle and his win percentage is greater then koivu's. Kovalev has single handedly helped Montreal win games last season, and with the hopes of even standing a chance in a few this season (Comeback against the leafs). How can you say Kovalev has a black heart? Dont you idiots read Canadiens.com...Who just took over Theodore's box for sick children...KOVALEV did..so dont give me that rubbish that he doesn't give back to the community. I will defend Alex Kovalev...Saku Koivu took a lot of stupid penalties in the offensive zone, restricting scoring chances last year. If the guy used his head, I would cheer for him, but I am Anti Saku Koivu...Yes I said it Habsworld...I am Anti Saku Koivu....And some of you idiots blew this way out of proportion when the topic was specifically who would you like to see as the captain when Koivu. Its an opinion...Live with it. And as for those who sympathize with koivu's cancer and eye injury, that just as easily could have happened to anyone else on the Habs, and anyone else in the NHL at that! Its called reality.

I was at that game... I'm not sure how long the clapping lasted, but it lasted long enough that the metal bands on my watch shattered from getting bounced around on my arm. Good times! :D

I was also at that game. I remember that the only reason the cheering for Saku stopped was because they started to play the national anthem. The PA announcer tried to introduce the anthem a few times, and the building just got louder each time. It was indeed a great moment, one that i will never forget. I am not ashamed to admit that I started to cry during that time. Saku definatly deserved every second of that, and will always deserve that. There is no way anyone can every question his leadership and what he brings to the team, and every person in the building that night let Saku know that's how they felt about him.