mathieu carle player of the week in the Q

MAK

I'm pumped to see how Carle develops. I know that it's assumed in some circles that defencemen in the Q aren't very good because (popular assumption again) nobody bothers to play D in the Q. But guys like Vlasic in San Jose and Letang in Pittsburgh went straight from the Q to an NHL roster as teenagers, even though Letang was sent back down. And none of those guys were first rounders either, they were far from being hyped prospects... given their success, we may be seeing Carle up with the big club sooner rather than later.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you. In particular, it's a positive sign to see Carle given the Defensive player of the week award, when he was drafted as more of an offensive player. It sounds like he's developing well.

I'm pumped to see how Carle develops. I know that it's assumed in some circles that defencemen in the Q aren't very good because (popular assumption again) nobody bothers to play D in the Q. But guys like Vlasic in San Jose and Letang in Pittsburgh went straight from the Q to an NHL roster as teenagers, even though Letang was sent back down. And none of those guys were first rounders either, they were far from being hyped prospects... given their success, we may be seeing Carle up with the big club sooner rather than later.

I agree with you. In particular, it's a positive sign to see Carle given the Defensive player of the week award, when he was drafted as more of an offensive player. It sounds like he's developing well.

While Carle has improved defensively, he was still selected for this award based on his offensive stats for the week. That's the case with most D player of the Week awards in the Q.

• 5 weeks later...
I know people will say "its the QMJHL", but Carle's stats are still impressive.

Mathieu Carle 33 gp - 11 g - 39 a - 50 pts - 48 pim - +21

It's the QMJHL. :lol: I saw him play twice this week and I can see why he's getting all those points. Bathurst PP is sick. Carle moves the puck so well and Perreault/Beaurgard have such good hands. Also they do face the two new teams a lot (st john/'s) They won 9 of 10 games against these two outscoring them 52-27. Add 2 games against Rimouski and it's 64 goals in 12 games against the 3 worst teams in the Q. Not saying Carle hasn't been impressive cause I wanted us to draft him after watching Bathurst last year (Dulac-Lemelin was on the team so I wasted time watching him play when I could but at least the webcasts were free)

Next year we will see Carle in Hamilton, so we'll see what he can do.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Mathieu could see some NHL action next year. He is following a similar path to Latendresse from the 2005 draft. A handful of Q defensemen taken in the 2005 draft have already played in the NHL, Bourdon, Vlasic, Letang, Yandle. Mathieu is in the same class as those players. I think he could easily turn out to be better than any of them.

I think Mathieu could see some NHL action next year. He is following a similar path to Latendresse from the 2005 draft. A handful of Q defensemen taken in the 2005 draft have already played in the NHL, Bourdon, Vlasic, Letang, Yandle. Mathieu is in the same class as those players. I think he could easily turn out to be better than any of them.

well i'm not sure he can do that but he could be in the AHl for sure next season. !!

Montreal doens't like unidimentional offensive players. If Hainsey never got a true chance, and Kostsitsyn still isn't getting his, I doubt Mathieu Carle will skip some many steps in his development. He'a exactly the kind of player Montreal likes to bring up slowly to make them more "complete" (in other words, less offensive).

Bourdon and Letang weren't good enough to stay in the NHL this season, and they are both superior to Carle. As for Vlasic, he's actually a very good player defensively, which is why the Skarks selected him and why he's playing at the NHL level this season; fortunatley, he's also developing some decent offensive skills as well.

Carle could defenitely turn out to be a great 2nd round pick, but he's not there yet and he'll need to work on his overall game before he gets a chance.

Montreal doens't like unidimentional offensive players. If Hainsey never got a true chance, and Kostsitsyn still isn't getting his, I doubt Mathieu Carle will skip some many steps in his development. He'a exactly the kind of player Montreal likes to bring up slowly to make them more "complete" (in other words, less offensive).

Bourdon and Letang weren't good enough to stay in the NHL this season, and they are both superior to Carle. As for Vlasic, he's actually a very good player defensively, which is why the Skarks selected him and why he's playing at the NHL level this season; fortunatley, he's also developing some decent offensive skills as well.

Carle could defenitely turn out to be a great 2nd round pick, but he's not there yet and he'll need to work on his overall game before he gets a chance.

I didn't say he was going to step into the starting lineup out of training camp. Just that "he could see some NHL action next season". As for his "unidimentional" play, that is way overstated. Mathieu is better than average defensively. As a junior he has to make things happen as the best player on his team. That means taking chances offensively. As a pro, he can play more conservatively. He is every bit as good as Bourdon (not saying much ). Just a bigger version of Letang and Vlasic.

I'm sure you would have said a year ago that there is no way Latendresse could crack the lineup since he is so "unidimentional" and hasn't served the long apprenticeship because "Montreal doesn't like to rush their prospects". Montreal does nothing different from any other organization, and are just average in terms of their drafting and prospect development.

That said, they hit paydirt with Guillaume Latendresse and Mathieu Carle. I think.

I didn't say he was going to step into the starting lineup out of training camp. Just that "he could see some NHL action next season". As for his "unidimentional" play, that is way overstated. Mathieu is better than average defensively. As a junior he has to make things happen as the best player on his team. That means taking chances offensively. As a pro, he can play more conservatively. He is every bit as good as Bourdon (not saying much ). Just a bigger version of Letang and Vlasic.

I'm sure you would have said a year ago that there is no way Latendresse could crack the lineup since he is so "unidimentional" and hasn't served the long apprenticeship because "Montreal doesn't like to rush their prospects". Montreal does nothing different from any other organization, and are just average in terms of their drafting and prospect development.

That said, they hit paydirt with Guillaume Latendresse and Mathieu Carle. I think.

I don't think Carle is "every bit as good as Bourdon". Letang and Vlasic are two of the top young defensemen out there. I would love to see Carle become anything close to these guys in terms of all round play.

Bourdon has all the tools, but not much of a toolbox. At this stage of a players development, its what is upstairs that seperates the wheat from the chaff. Mathieu Carle just seems smarter than Bourdon to me.

Bourdon has all the tools, but not much of a toolbox. At this stage of a players development, its what is upstairs that seperates the wheat from the chaff. Mathieu Carle just seems smarter than Bourdon to me.

Carle doesn't have the tools that Bourdon has. I can't say that I can compare their smarts as I don't focus on Bourdon too much. I know when I saw him at 16 with Val'D Or I thought he was a guy we should try and draft, at the time he wasn't that highly touted like he is now. Frankly I'd rather have Vlasic over any of them, but I like Letang as well. Bourdon I dont think he will be as good as Nuck fans hope but time will tell, frankly I don't care what other teams prospects do just ours. It would be great if Carle can a big impact with the Habs.

I thought for sure that Mathieu would be a first round pick. Especially after the Prospects testing where he was at, or near the top in every skill category among defensemen. Carle reminds me a lot of Eric Desjardins, who was one of the best second round steals the team has ever made. Eric was taken 38th overall at a time when there were 21 teams, Mathieu goes 53rd overall in a 30 team draft, which is nearly identical spot. Lets hope lightning strikes twice here....

Edited by bobby

i wouldn't be surprised to see him on team canada wjc next year. the defense may not be the best but the offence is downright frightening...

GO :hlogo: GO!

i wouldn't be surprised to see him on team canada wjc next year. the defense may not be the best but the offence is downright frightening...

he'll be 20 in september thus making him to old to play in the wjc.

he'll be 20 in september thus making him to old to play in the wjc.

woah!!! was he an overager in the draft or something???one! most kids are drafted at 17 or 18 years of age... that seems ridiculous...