How Big?

Ribeiro

Tampa isnt a fluke, they have a very solid team. They finished #1 in the EAST and #2 overall in the NHL ... The Wild didnt do that last year, neither did the Ducks, or the Canes of a couple of years back....

I dont know why you'd call them a fluke. They beat us fair and square.

Originally posted by puck7x

Tampa isnt a fluke, they have a very solid team. They finished #1 in the EAST and #2 overall in the NHL ... The Wild didnt do that last year, neither did the Ducks, or the Canes of a couple of years back....

I dont know why you'd call them a fluke. They beat us fair and square.

At least the Ducks had Paul Kariya and a few other good players. Proven good players, not players that dramatically gained superstar skills.

Let's look at some of the before and after stats of the Tampa Bay Lightning:

2001 season - 35 points, not bad. 4th year in the NHL, so don't even dare try to bull the "inexperienced" BS on me.

2002 - 70. Wow, nice.

2003 - 94.

94. 24 more points gained, in 1 season.

Let's look at their goaltender:

Last year's GAA: 2.42. Shutouts: None

Now: .99 Shutouts: 4

Yeah, a performance of a lifetime.

Not a fluke?

If you watched the Lightning play last year, people thought they were a fluke. Same this year.

Team's like Tampa just don't turn into League champs.

[Edited on 2004/5/3 by Ribeiro]

The season when St Louis had only 35 points is the season he broke his leg half way through, he was on pace for alot more then that.

Martin St Louis has been a better player then Paul Kariya over the past 3 seasons... No doubts in my mind about this.

Lets look at the supporting casts of the teams...

2003 Ducks: Sykora, Rucchin, Oates, Ozolinsh, Thomas, Carney, Niedermayer

2004 Bolts: Lecavalier, Richards, Modin, Stillman, Andreychuk, Sydor, Kubina

I'll take the Bolts anyday. Your just not showing them any respect or your just unfamilar with their players.

It's common sense.

No team gets as good as the Lightning that fast. Especially in the NHL.

Maybe in the NFL where there are salary caps and new competitive teams every year, but this is the NHL.

Nothing short of a fluke.

You can take Stillman over Ozilinsh anytime you want. I actually know who the better player is when playing their best.

Someone vote the USA beating Canada one.

Biggest fluke ever. :lol:

Yep, Tampa is a real fluke.

LOL.

Consistent improvement was proven by the facts you gave. A fluke was Montreal in 2002, when they made the playoffs and were crap the next season. Tampa went to the playoffs last year, and improved the following year. St. Louis has emerged as an elite player. Leclavier is still young and improving. Modin has been an all-star. Andrychuk brings great leadership. Stillman is a solid veteran. Rishards is a young, talented player. Kubina is solid. Sydor and Lukowich are Cup winners. Khabibulin is a great goalie.

How is this a fluke team?

No, not a consistent improvement. If you look at Tampa's goalie performance in the playoffs last year and this year, you would have noticed that.

And the poll shows that people do think Tampa is a fluke.

This isn't the NFL, they shouldn't be this far into the playoffs.

St. Louis will disappear within the next 3 years on the stats. And when he does, I'd love to see all your "surprised" faces.

This is the most ridiculous poll I've seen around here...whoever made this is the biggest "homer" I've seen on these boards so far.

I'll be the first to admit that before the playoffs I was hoping we would face Tampa. I'll also be the first to admit that I was very wrong...I didn't see them play enough this year to realise how good they are.

If you don't think Khabibulin is one of the top goalies in the league you are a moron. He has been for years now.

They have 2 very good scoring lines and a talented, mobile group of d-men that can also play a physical game. To top that off they play a great team game. They're also young and have shown consistent improvement.

You're just putting on your hate 'cause they beat the Habs in 4 straight. BTW, when Puck listed the names of the supporting casts of Anaheim and Tampa he wasn't necessarily comparing them 1 for 1 but overall. It's easy to see that, overall, Tampa has a FAR superior team to Anaheim's when they made their run.

And there is a tonne of parody in the NHL year to year. Look how close the standings were in both conferences. The NHL doesn't have a salary cap and STILL manages to be keep everyone competitive. The teams with money often don't do well...and the small market teams often compete year in, year out. You're posts are incredibly ignorant of actual facts.

You talk of how many people voted that Tampa was a fluke...you didn't give a lot of choice to the contrary. Not only that but how many views has this thread has and how many actually voted that way? Bleh...it's just dumb.

[Edited on 2004/5/3 by Zowpeb]

[Edited on 2004/5/3 by Zowpeb]

Originally posted by Ribeiro

2001 season - 35 points, not bad.  4th year in the NHL, so don't even dare try to bull the "inexperienced" BS on me.  

2002 - 70.  Wow, nice.

2003 - 94.  

94.  24 more points gained, in 1 season.  

:wall: Look, you said it yourself:

35-->70-->94-->This season.

That is clearly improvement. It's not like they came out of nowhere like the Ducks. They have been building this team over the past few years, and the results speak for themselves. It is obvious that this team is not a fluke. Fluke teams may make it deep into the playoffs now and then, but they do not finish 1st in their conference.

Fluke teams don't have teams that are this solid. Tampa is a good all-around team. Great O, solid D, top-notch goalie. So Khabi struggled a little and got pulled last playoffs. That was Tortarella sending a message to Khabi. It obviously has had its rewards this season.

Fluke teams make runs one year and disappear the next, i.e. Ducks and Canes. If the Bolts were a fluke last year, why are they in the Conference finals this season? Seriously, after that series, how can you not say they are a good team? Even when Montreal was going all out, Tampa was the better team. They shut us down.

Originally posted by Zowpeb

BTW, when Puck listed the names of the supporting casts of Anaheim and Tampa he wasn't necessarily comparing them 1 for 1 but overall.  It's easy to see that, overall, Tampa has a FAR superior team to Anaheim's when they made their run.

Thanks for explaining it, it was exactly what I was doing.

You talk of how many people voted that Tampa was a fluke...you didn't give a lot of choice to the contrary. Not only that but how many views has this thread has and how many actually voted that way? Bleh...it's just dumb.  

4 for Huge. Biggest Ever.

1 for, It's a Disney Miracle!

and the Marlins one.

Considering that this forum has few consistently active members, that average a strong amount of posts a day, that's good.

If you don't think Khabibulin is one of the top goalies in the league you are a moron. He has been for years now.  

A few years? No he hasn't.

The NHL doesn't have a salary cap and STILL manages to be keep everyone competitive.

Are you stupid!? Not having a salary cap is one of the biggest problems with the NHL. True fans, and I emphasize on the "true", have been wanting salary caps and more competitiveness for awhile now. It's been a consistent problem. How the hell can you say something like that!?

The Devils, Red Wings and Avalanche have consistently been tops in their league. Dallas and Philidephia has always been strong contenders for over the last decade. The Rangers would be too with all their stars if they didn't run into a drought nobody would have predicted.

Teams stacked with stars makes it hard to be competitive.

Teams like Chicago, Washington, Florida, Pittsburgh, Atlanta and Columbus aren't a threat.

This is the most ridiculous poll I've seen around here...whoever made this is the biggest "homer" I've seen on these boards so far.

You're not even from Montreal, so don't make comments about homers.

Now go call everyone else that voted "homers"

btw... Just wanted to say that I am sure a few of the people who voted in this poll only voted to see the results (although they could of pressed "view results" , but its not a very visable link) ...

The poll isnt fair because you didnt include an option for people who dont think the Bolts are a fluke ... like "I do not think they are a fluke"

When all the options in your poll are <i>basically</i> (Different levels of fluking) the same the result of the poll doesnt mean much.

Does it really matter who are from Montreal and who are not? That poll stunk becaus there werent any options like (they are NOT a fluke). Its like posting a poll with 2 answers... 1. yes 2. yep . It doesnt have a point. Tampa was the better team and btw. Why dont you call us a fluke as well since we make the playoffs now and then and makes it into the 2nd round just to miss the playoffs the next year?

The poll isnt fair because you didnt include an option for people who dont think the Bolts are a fluke ... like "I do not think they are a fluke"  

Yes, the same people that voted: Huge. Biggest ever, eh?

en all the options in your poll are basically (Different levels of fluking) the same the result of the poll doesnt mean much.  

Fine, 6 people who constantly visit the forum believe that the Lightning are nothing but lucky.

Why dont you call us a fluke as well since we make the playoffs now and then and makes it into the 2nd round just to miss the playoffs the next year?

Because we barely made it one year (8th), but then missed it the next. This year, we made it again (7th).

It wasn't as if we pranched into the playoffs then all of a sudden after being a loser team, then all of a sudden, shots we took bounced off players and squirmed into the net.

Illogical comparison - nice try though.

Yes, the same people that voted: Huge. Biggest ever, eh?

Like I said, they might have voted just to see the results, if thats the case then they probably just picked the first option available...

Whatever though, this conversation is going in circles, so I'll make my exit :)

Originally posted by simonus

out of curiosity - what is the average response rate on habsworld polls?

Polls get a small amount of replies and a pretty small amount of votes.

I got a good amount of feedback:

Flukes.

Regarde

A poll with 11 votes casted and 6 replies.

However, I wouldn't call that a real poll since there is not much of an opinion to it.

[Edited on 2004/5/4 by Ribeiro]

Originally posted by simonus

out of curiosity - what is the average response rate on habsworld polls?

Polls get a small amount of replies and a pretty small amount of votes.

I got a good amount of feedback:

Flukes.

You know I could just settle this with a poll on the frontpage of HW... Something like...

"Are the Lightning for real?"

- Yes of course

- No, they are a fluke

Polls on the frontpage get 100-200 votes over the 1-2 day we leave them up there.

[Edited on 2004-5-4 by puck7x]

You know that they'll vote for your side simply because you are the admin.

Unfair poll. That's why the voting stopped on this one, once you came in with a contradicting view.

Oh wait, no!

There is another one: "USA beating Canada in Juniors"

AHAHAHAHHAHAHA :clap::can:

Another one for fluke!

You know that they'll vote for your side simply because you are the admin.  

Unfair poll.  That's why the voting stopped on this one, once you came in with a contradicting view.

Oh wait, no!  

There is another one:  "USA beating Canada in Juniors"

AHAHAHAHHAHAHA :clap::can:

Another one for fluke!

Nobody is going to vote one way or another because of the way the admin feels, and besides the poll is anonymous, I have no idea who votes for what....