Latendresse will make the team

KoZed

Interview with Gainey about Latendresse:

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/188963.html

Gainey is saying that they dont need more games to evaluate Latendresse, they know everything they need to know from him already and that he'll either spend the entire season in Montreal or be sent back to his junior team.

When you read between the lines, you basically come to the conclusion that Latendresse is making the team. Why keep him if his evaluation is over, if not because he's making the team?

Gainey also says that players contracts dont mean anything when it comes to putting the team together. If they risk losing Hossa to waivers by sending him down, then so be it. He says "We'd be losing Latendresse for one year if we'd send him down to juniors."

Gainey is also saying that he's been speaking with a couple of teams about unloading a forward, but its not a good time right now for trades.

He says "We'd be losing Latendresse for one year if we'd send him down to juniors."

Hmm, it's funny that I never looked at it that way before. That only makes sense, though, if he isn't stuck on the fourth line. If that were the case, he's better off in junior where he will get more minutes and play on the top line.

I am hoping that he will make the team also, as I think he can contribute on the second line even as an 18 year old. That spot everyone gave to Perezhogin on the second line seems a pretty good fit, for Latendresse.

However, By reading that article, I can just as easily see the oposite, that they have already decided that he will go to junior but want to allow him to participate in the big camp for as long as possible to gain experience.

Should they choose to keep him, they would have to send perezhogin down and possibly Higgins, until a deal to move HOssa is made. Plekanek and HOssa will need to clear waivers to be sent down. That leaves no other options only HIggins and Perezhogin.

I doubt that would happen b/c Higgins seems like he's made the team.

ANyhow, let's hope for the best and see what happens, i''m a believer in the idea that if he makes the team better now, then worry about his free agent status 7 years from now

This reasoning may not make a whole lot of hockey sense but I hope that he gets sent down because there are others who have 'paid their dues' and should have a first shot at the team than him.

In a recent interview, Latendresse stated that he wouldn't be surprised to see that happen for the same reasons. Those words may have been spoken for PR purposes or just because that's what you're supposed to say in such circumstancers. It may very well be that he wouldn't take it very well. Who knows.

My reasoning is strictly based on a socio-interaction kind of basis.

Media's related ineptitude and gainey's traditional oblique type discourse gives the reader a bit of a challenge as to what Gainey is actually saying and meaning....and my take on this foggy piece of information is that...yes, Gainey doesnt feel like not using Latendresse this year.........and also that, Hossa as nothing to do with this week-end decision about Latendresse.

This is a very hard situation even if it's nice problem to have.

Let's face it. Latendresse would have maked the team any other year. From what he have showed he could play on one of our top line.

But so has Plekanec and Hossa. And Higgins. And maybe Perezhogin.

I think all but Perezhogin has showed that they are ready. But let's face it. Julien won't find room for everybody no mather how hard he tries. So basicly he has two choices.

Send Latendresse back to the juniors or seek a trade.

I'd love to eventually see the following forward line up:

Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev

Latendresse-Ribs-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Hossa

Higgins-Begin-Plekanec

with Dags and vandermeer as reservists.

Don't think that that will happen (especially not for the begining of this year) and prudent old me would send Tender down to the Q and Perezhogin down to the AHL for season start in order not to loose anyone to waivers (give them at least half a season with the club).

when thinking about moving establsihed players, remember that odds dictate that at least one of latendresse, hossa, plekanec, or higgins will bomb in the NHL. Now, one draw four royal flushes in a row, but you dont plan your betting that way.

Originally posted by Rooster

I'd love to eventually see the following forward line up:

Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev

Latendresse-Ribs-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Hossa

Higgins-Begin-Plekanec

Don't think that that will happen (especially not for the begining of this year) and prudent old me would send Tender down to the Q and Perezhogin down to the AHL for season start in order not to loose anyone to waivers (give them at least half a season with the club).

Where is Zednik...traded?

Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev

Latendresse-Ribs-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Hossa

Higgins-Begin-Plekanec

Rooster, two thumbs up for an interesting lineup. But what about Mr. Zednik? This should be a year he excells in the NHL if they stop the obstruction that goes on. I have finally started to like this guy and cannot see how he would be taken off the first line. I agree with your lines except I would keep Zendnik on the line and take Perezhogin off.

He (Gainey) also said in the Journal de Montreal, that his priority remain, as always, to use the best he has for the team.....regardless of the consequences.

Wether having one way contract player playing at Hamilton or even losing players as they are being send down....all this remain immaterial when implementing his priority.

Talking with other teams lately for transaction, but as he said,...no go, no interest.

The next two games will go a long way in telling us a story.

I believe Hossa and Plekanec to be secured with the Club.

Then there is Latendresse, Higgins and Perezogin.

Are Sundstrom and Bulis being menaced of losing their place ?

Just like Vandermeer seems to be towards Yvanans,...which now seems to be Julien's new favorite ?

Originally posted by GilleZ

The answer is Collin White!!!

Find a way to get him for one of our Foward to make place for Latendresse!

Go Habs Go!!

That would not be bad at all. I hope Gainey does something similar. Improve our D, improve our offence (by playing Lats)

There's too many good prospects ready for the big team this year. Could Gainey trade Hossa and Perezhogin for an even better prospect?

I'm wondering how it'll end, how Gainey will find a way to finalize his roster without having to lose anyone for nothing.

GO GAINEY GO!!

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev

Latendresse-Ribs-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Hossa

Higgins-Begin-Plekanec

Rooster, two thumbs up for an interesting lineup. But what about Mr. Zednik? This should be a year he excells in the NHL if they stop the obstruction that goes on. I have finally started to like this guy and cannot see how he would be taken off the first line. I agree with your lines except I would keep Zendnik on the line and take Perezhogin off.

My line up was more a "wishfull thinking" lineup if all the kids play and develop up to expectations. If that is the case, I think a Zednik (think Perezhogin can be a better fit on that line than Zednik as he can be a better playmaker than Zednik while also scoring some....just see better chemistry on that line with Perezhogin in) and Sundstrom can become trade bait. I don't think that that would be the starting lineup this year. But if the kids develop according to plan, that's what I would eventually like to see.

Originally posted by Habsrocket

I thought this new CBA got rid of the waiver draft.

At least thats what I thought I read.

Can someone clear this up??

If so then the only way to obtain someone would be through the trade route.

I think this has been discussed before, but the elimination of the waiver draft is not eliminate waivers.

Waiver draft - certain types of players (usually based on their experience) must be protected from a draft. A team has the ability to protect a certain amount of them. Anybody whom they do not protect can be claimed in a special draft.

Waivers - A player may, at any time, be placed on waivers. Waivers last a certain amount of time (i believe its few days or so). While they are on waivers any team may 'claim' that player. If they are not claimed by another team, that player reverts to the team that placed them on waivers.

There are certain situations when a player must be placed on waivers. For instance, if a team wishes to send a sufficiently experienced player to the minor leagues, that team must first expose the player to the waiver wire. Same for releasing players (at least in baseball, not sure about hockey). I know in baseball that if you want to trade a player after the deadline, that player must first pass waivers (see Mike Stanton, who just got traded from Washington to Boston Red Sox yesterday).

Sorry to rehash this... probably important to understand.

If i have made any mistakes, I would appreciate corrections.

Well, to hold to my previous position, despite the rising waters and rescue offers, I'm still not nuts about him making the team right off the bat.

The trade of Hossa makes a whole different scenario in this, in terms of full prospect use viability. I'm not nuts about that trade either but I'm not the GM and I have to bow to his wisdom.

I hope the best for all involved.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

shortcat1, I like your new avatar more and more every time I see it. You have inspired me to make a new one this weekend that is not so mean to leaf players. Even the worst Leaf has some talent or he would not be on the team.

Back on topic, I can't wait to see what Gainey's next move is now that hossa is gone from the nest. Anyone care to take a crack at a possible lineup?

Go :hlogo: Go!

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

shortcat1, I like your new avatar more and more every time I see it. You have inspired me to make a new one this weekend that is not so mean to leaf players. Even the worst Leaf has some talent or he would not be on the team.

Back on topic, I can't wait to see what Gainey's next move is now that hossa is gone from the nest. Anyone care to take a crack at a possible lineup?

Go :hlogo: Go!

Thank you.... God is good. :D