Hainsey & Vandermeer sent down ...

Theberge43

Originally posted by TruthMonger
Originally posted by Rooster

Does it still count against the habs cap space?  If so, it's quite a waste.

Not 100% sure on this one, but I think the player has to be on the active roster to count. Still wasted money for the organization, but probably no hit to the cap.

Sportsnet said that it will not count against the cap.

they also said that gainey might try to trade one or both of them.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by shortcat1
Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

O'Dette?    

Good grief! What an anglicizartion of a French name. Reminds me of a family in my home town. The grand-father was called LEFEVRE and the grandkids were called BEAN. Another was changed from l'Écuyer to Spooner.

Sheeeshhhhh....:eyes::eyes::eyes:

Haha no, his name was actually spelt O'Dette. I think his first name was Matthew. He is 6"6 and was called up for the series' against Boston because we were getting beat up. Not Donald Audette, of course.

Originally posted by ap79

There's good chances that Hainsey clears waivers, given his big contract.

I thought I heard somewhere that we are responsible for half the salary of any player of ours who is claimed on waivers by another team.

if true, i guess this is a good incentive to get players on pro rosters somewhere...

OK, if this is true, if a player is claimed on waivers and then placed on waivers again does that mean that the 3rd team only pays him a quarter of his original salary? Seems like a kid who gets shuffled around would have some interesting pay stubs.

Does the original team pay their salary responsibility to the claiming team or do they pay it directly to the player. If they pay it directly to the player do they also have to pay taxes on that salary?

Originally posted by Peter Puck
Originally posted by ap79

There's good chances that Hainsey clears waivers, given his big contract.

I thought I heard somewhere that we are responsible for half the salary of any player of ours who is claimed on waivers by another team.

Okay I tracked this down. Here is how it works

>According to Lamoriello, players who have one-way contracts have to

>clear waivers on the way back up to the NHL.

>Players on two-way contracts do not.

>And if a player is claimed on the way back up, the team that claims

>him will only be responsible for half of his contract; the team that put

>him on waivers would be responsible for the other half of his contract.

This is excerpted from the bottom of this article

Is Hainsey on a one way contract? I think so. If so and if no team claims him now I think he will spend the entire year in Hamilton. We would be risking losing him on the waiver wire and still paying half his contract if we tried to bring him up later in the year as an injury replacement or if Streit doesn't pan out. This is a problem if we have 2 injured Dmen some time during the year.

I know there's some injury clause in there. If we have two injured D-men, we can bring any player on a one-way contract up and back down within a 30-day window or something like that.