Belfour could have been a Habs?

smon

I recall reading recently in the past few days an article on the Patrick Roy trade that mentioned one by the Montreal Gazette several years back.

Serge Savard apparently was working on a deal that would've dealt Roy to the Chicago Blackhawks before he was fired and replaced with Houle.

According to the Gazette, the plan was to trade Roy to Chicago for Eddie Belfour, whom the 'Hawks apparently had no intention of re-signing when his contract expired following the 1996-97 season. Houle is believed to have killed that deal when he took over as GM.

In my opinion, wow, that would have been quite the trade. I honestly think Belfour would have either crashed or burned in Montreal..Either played spectactularly or be booed out of town a year late after succumbing to the pressure amidst calls for his head from certain media types. Pretty hard to stomach him as a habs, but no one argues with success.

Nonetheless, what an interesting trade that would have been. Could it have stopped the decline of both franchises? Quite possibly..The Hawks would have recieved a franchise goaltender better than the one they shelled out for now in Khabby. And as for Montreal, well, Thibault at the time had supposed potential..but Belfour was and is much better.

Any thoughts?

(Edited the title a bit)

[Edited on 2005-12-9 by sakiqc]

Originally posted by smon

Seems like it.

And the Hawks did avoid re-signing Belfour after 96-97..They dealt him to the Sharks for package featuring Ulf Dahlen and Jeff Hackett I believe it was.

Chris Terreri (giggle), Michal Sykora and Dahlen, actually. Hackett took over the #1 job in Chicago after that trade, but he was already on the team. I think Belfour would have done well in Montreal. The media in Toronto can be as troublesome as MTL's, and it didn't seem to bother him there.

Still, Roy for Belfour straight up would have been CUT UP in the local press.

I have heard lots of rumours that Savard pretty much had a Roy deal in the bank with a few teams. Don’t know which ones to believe. I remember hearing one with Nolan and Ricci involved back about 10 years go. But once again don’t know how much truth there is to any of those stories.

Originally posted by JMMR

I have heard lots of rumours that Savard pretty much had a Roy deal in the bank with a few teams. Don’t know which ones to believe. I remember hearing one with Nolan and Ricci involved back about 10 years go. But once again don’t know how much truth there is to any of those stories.

Was that involving the Nords? Hard to imagine Montreal trading him to Quebec..they had to wait till they packed up for Colorado to do that.

Originally posted by Capt.Crunch

Yeah, me too.

The one I heard was that Savard was prepared to do:

Owen Nolan, Stephane Fiset, Adam Deadmarsh and a 1st round pick for Roy + spare parts

Or something like it.

Nolan and Fiset were definitely mentionned.

[Edited on 2005/12/9 by Capt.Crunch]

That's better than what Houle ended up trading for. Then again, he also had no leverage when he made the trade for Thibault, Rucinsky & Kovalenko.

Heh, Fiset ended up a habs to finish out his career anyway. I remember him in that blowout playoff loss to Carolina several years back.

Seems like a lot of failed quebecois goalie prospects ended up habs - fichaud, chabot, fiset..and to a lesser extent thibault.

Originally posted by smon

Heh, Fiset ended up a Habs to finish out his career anyway. I remember him in that blowout playoff loss to Carolina several years back.  

Seems like a lot of failed quebecois goalie prospects ended up habs - fichaud, chabot, fiset..and to a lesser extent thibault.

And who can forget the immortal Red Light Racicot?

I also remember hearing stuff about the Red Wings having offered a package centered on Yzerman in 95. Anybody else hear that or did I just dream it?

Yeap A dream...... Remember it was right before you dreamt that same night that you were in bed with Celine Dion! ;)

LOL joking of course.... No idea .... I've written before for me between 88 and 99 BLANK memory ...wasnt in North America back then!

I don't think Eddie would've done all that great in Montreal. I read an article recently how Hitchcock challenged him after his first playoff exit in Dallas to get his shit together and elevate his game, and I do remember him being a mess for a few years leading up to that. You think Tremblay or Vignault would have had the authority to do that and have Eddie the drunk actually listen?

And Fiset wasn't a bad goalie in his prime. He had some pretty good games for Quebec, and I also him remember standing on his head for a while in LA. Not elite by any means, but not a bust either.

Savard almost had a deal for Stevie Y, but the Red Wings backed out at the last minute. Good for them, bad for us. I can't remember the year or who was supposed to be involved though

And who can forget the immortal Red Light Racicot?

i dunno, i guess i did when i made up my name?

Originally posted by PMAC

Savard almost had a deal for Stevie Y, but the Red Wings backed out at the last minute. Good for them, bad for us. I can't remember the year or who was supposed to be involved though

I believe the Yzerman deal was in 93/94 for Matt Schneider. Savard backed out saying "Yzerman hasn't won anything"...

Hahaha!

Schneider eventually got dealt to Milbury along with Muller for Turgeon and Malakhov..

I was a big Muller fan, but Turgeon had tons more talent so it was quite the steal for the Habs..and poor Kirk bounced around from there to stellar teams such as Florida and Toronto.