hockeytraderumors.com

Bonavistaman11

Does anyone know if this guy has a clue of what he's talking about, or is it a bunch of BS.

He has new rumors everyday, they hardly ever come true. Heres the latest:

Komic-J writes "Everybody is going nuts with rumors at this time of year...especially when you work in a "Sport" bar in Montreal. Tonight was really quiet night, so I had the chance to talk a lot with one of our customers...

Here's what he had to say...

But before, let me tell you who this guy is.

He works for "TEAM 990 AM", here in Montreal. Don't know if he still does it, but he used to host a show there, taking phone calls and talking about different things related to NHL Hockey. What makes him a reliable source ? Well, it's always hard to say what is true, and what's not, but here's a couple of things he told me:

- Weeks before it happened, he told me Gainey was going to be named Montreal's GM.

- He also told me Gonchar was going to Boston, when everybody else was sending him to Toronto...even said Morrisonn would be a part of the deal.

- Told me two or three days before that Ottawa would get their hands on either Bondra or Zubrus (I had to pay him a beer tonight for that one...)

However, he also told me Colorado would acquire Jagr when New York got him, and said that Minnesota would deal Gaborik somewhere else when they had some problem signing him.

So I guess, it makes him a 50% reliable source, but it's pretty much what a "Trade Rumor" is all about, don't you think...

So here's a couple of things I still have in mind: As we spent a lot of time talking about the Habs, let's start with them...keep in mind, this is what he said, and it doesn't mean it's gonna happen...just thought I'd share that with you...

Montreal Canadiens

Gainey was trying to get Lang, before he was dealt to Detroit. Apparently, Gainey offered the same deal he offered to Suther for Alexei Kovalev. Washington however was asking for Alex Perezhoggin and a 1st Rond Pick, which Gainey refused.

My Take: This could be true. I know Gainey was trying to get a tough right-handed center, and Lang at 6'2, 216 pds fits this description perfectly...

He also told me Montreal, prior to Kovalev trade, knocked on a few doors. Some names I still have in mind were Buffalo Taylor Pyatt and Jay McKee, Columbus Geoff Sanderson, Minnesota Andrew Brunette, and Washington Jeff Halpern, Anson Carter and Mike Grier.

My Take: I can see the Habs going after Pyatt and McKee, since one of them is pretty young, plays left-wing (which we lack) and the other is a solid left-handed defenceman, which Gainey said he was looking for at some point. Sanderson, Halpern, Carter and Grier, I'm not sure about...but I also think Brunette could have been in Montreal's plan at some point.

Here's an interesting one, but pretty long to explain, so follow me. He told me that Montreal was very close to a deal with Carolina, that was set to happen right after their last game. As reported, Montreal were tempted by O'Neill and Hill. The first reason why it didn't happen is because Hill didn't, at that time, say that he'll waive his no-trade clause. The second reason why it didn't happen is because Rutherford suddenly changed his mind on the offer, and decided to reject it.

The initially approved offer was, as reported, Richard Zednik, and a fourth round pick for Jeff O'Neill and Sean Hill. Rutherford decided that if he was going to move O'Neill to Montreal, young right-winger Michael Ryder had to be a part of the deal. The trade was cancelled then...

But !!!

Montreal apparently is still talking daily with Carolina...and he told me that's the reason why Montreal went in New York to get Kovalev. He said Kovalev was brought to Montreal to fill the hole in case Montreal traded Ryder to Carolina. The reason why the trade didn't take place right after is because Gainey wanted to see how Kovalev would look on the ice before. Unfortunately, he got injured after seven minutes of play, and that might cancel the plan if the injury is serious. Apparently, the offer Montreal was going to make to Carolina was:

Michael Ryder along with either Hossa, Higgins or Hainsey, and a 2005 2nd Draft Pick in exchange of Jeff O'Neill, Erik Cole and Sean Hill.

My Take: I would prefer the Canadiens to get their hands on Hedican, but having Cole and O'Neill on our team would be just terrific. I would hate to see Ryder go tough, as I truely believe he's going to be a good top-6 foward in any team soon.

The other team Montreal is currently talking with is the Washington Capitals, trying to get their hands on Brendan Witt (if the Carolina deal doesn't work). Grier is also interesting for Montreal, but the price is too high for Gainey.

If I belive him, Carolina and Washington are the only two teams Gainey is really talking with, so any other rumor concerning them aren't true.

IMO, this is a bunch of shit....Ryder has more potential then either O'neill and Cole so I can't see Gainey including him in a deal for those guys. Also Higgins and Hossa, thats crazy, theres no way were gonna be like the leafs and trade all of our future away...(although i can see Hossa goin before the deadline)

What do you guys think?????

It is a load of shit, you said it perfectly :D. Not only does Ryder have more potential than O'Neill or Hill, and I like Jeff O'Neill a lot, but he's already a better player than O'Neill as far as I'm concerned.

If Jeff O'Neill was to become a habs and Gainey was sure it wouldn't disrupt anything, I'd be all for it. But for Michael Ryder? Ya right!

It is a load of crap, no way the Habs are trading Ryder right now... I shouldnt even have to explain why.

Hockeytraderumours.com has always been a crap site. I still dont understand why people visit it... Its just ordinary fans writing this stuff, and 99% is made up or from unreliable sources.