Ribeiro and Kovalev playing together?

Skindogg60

RDS.ca is reporting that Kovalev practiced with Ribeiro and Ryder meaning Dagenais will likely (and thankfully) watch the game from the pressbox.

When I first read this I was a little upset because I really wanted to see how Kovalev and Koivu would play together. If Koivu can get as many points as he does playing with tier two hockey players, I wanted to see how he would do playing with a Superstar like Kovalev.

But the way Perreault has been playing on the first line, and having watched a 6 ft 5 player who is terrified to hit and cannot win the races to the puck, this only makes sense to me. Having Kovalev play with Ribeiro now makes two equally impressive scoring lines. Im thinking the forward line-up will look like this.

Perreault - Koivu - Zednik

Ryder - Ribeiro - Kovalev

Begin - Dowd - Ward

Langdon - Juneau - Dackell

Originally posted by simonus

you think it is a good idea to move ryder to left wing?

I dont think its a good idea, Ryder has played his best hockey on the right side and has been playing there for the better part of the season now. This will be a handicap to Ryder right now and it may take awhile for him to get use to it..

Why cant kovalev play the left side, it makes more sense seeing that he's a left handed shot.....

:ghg:

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

I read somewhere that Kovy will not be on a line with Ribs, but will join Yanic and Saku on the top line. This allows Ryder to stay on the right side.

why the heck would they break up koivu and Zed....They've just heated up and have found their old Chemistry.

I saw somewhere that Bulis will be back sat nite so...

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Bulis-Ribs-Ryder

Begin-Dowd-Ward

Langdon-Perreault-One of the other guys..would be my lines..

For the playoffs id have a 4th line of:

Sundstrom-Perreault-Dackell......or fit Juneau in somewhere...:hlogo:

[Edited on 2004/3/11 by Bonavistaman11]

i don't know about making kovy play on the left... The guy has made quite a career as a right wing, moving him to the left could be perceived as a slight. Now I think players should be able to suck it up, but....

"Why cant kovalev play the left side, it makes more sense seeing that he's a left handed shot....."

I think generally it is better having a left handed shot on the right wing as it is easier to cut a cross the middle and have a great shot against a goalie. The greatest habs of all time, Maurice Richard, shot left and played on the right. Havent you guys noticed that Ryder always has to drag the puck before he shoots? This is because he is a right handed shot playing on the right side. I think Ryder will play better on the left as I have seen him score many goals this season on the powerplay from the leftside (does anybody remember the game tying goal the last time the Habs played Ottawa?). I think Julien knows what he is doing and this all makes sense to me.

[Edited on 2004/3/11 by Skindogg60]

Guys Ryder has been playing left for a while now, in case you haven't noticed.

He's been on the Ribs line for a while now, and Dagenais was the RW on that line... Ryder was playing left the whole time.

And he's been piling on the points since, so I really don't get where this whole concern about him playing left all of a sudden.

What I don't get is that CJ said that he wants to move Ryder back to RW, and move Kovalev to LW.

Which is weird because both are now used to playing their off-wing... they might end up switching back at some point.

I guess the thinking is that by having the right-shot play right and the left-shot play left... it'll be easier for Ribeiro to feed them both since they won't have to always accept the passes on their backhand.

It'll also be easier for both wings to pass it back to the middle.

So the switch tells me CJ wants to put an emphasis on passing on this line. Which could work out very nicely since all three have some very good playmaking skills.

P.S. I had been pleading for Julien to reunited Zed with Koivu and try Ryder with Ribeiro when we were struggling... and it couldn't have worked out better.

Ryder & Ribeiro really have some chemistry and Ryder has been finding his way on the scoring sheet on a consistant basis, and Zed is on fire.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw I think the move to suddenly put Kovalev on the Ribs line and keep Perreault on the Koivu line is a hint that Julien plans to put Bulis back on the first line when he'll be healthy.

In essence Perreault is keeping his spot warm, and CJ wants Kovalev to start developing some chemistry with the Ribs line right away since that's who he'll be playing with in the playoffs.

That means CJ doesn't plan to use Dagenais in the playoffs... we've known for some time now that his inconsistent play hasn't impressed his coach.

So my updated prediction of the lineup come playoff time:

Bulis-Koivu-Zednik

Kovalev-Ribeiro-Ryder

Begin-Dowd-Ward

Sundstrom-Juneau-Dackell

Langdon, Perreault, Dagenais.

[Edited on 11-3-04 by Habs77]

I agree with almost all your post habs77. The thing I like is that we have Perreault and Dagenais as not-so-bad insurance in case koivu/ribeiro/or kovalev gets hurt.

But I'm not sure if Bulis will take Yanic's spot like you said. If Yanic have another great game on Saku's line, Julien might be tempted to put Bulis with Juneau for a stronger 4th line. And, if Yanic decides to play too softly, well bye bye Yanic, put Bulis or Dagenais up front.

Yeah, i also agree with your post habs77 :/)

I think the koivu line is doing great, and the ribs-ryder line are also putting on points... and yeah... dags is not right for that line, and placing kovy there would be way better. Then we'll have 2 really good scoring lines.