Two picks in the teens!

bobby

For the draft fanatics, here's hoping the San Jose Sharks lose most of their remaining games and the Habs just squeeze into the playoffs. Two picks in the first half of the 2007 entry draft... :clap:

For the draft fanatics, here's hoping the San Jose Sharks lose most of their remaining games and the Habs just squeeze into the playoffs. Two picks in the first half of the 2007 entry draft... :clap:

That's a good news seriously, cause sometimes it allows for the organisation to take two opposites...

We usually pick "safe" to some extent, with the exception of Kost, but with the health investigation they had done on him, they were confident he'd be alright.

Otherwise, since 2001, 1st round has been all about the sure shots... And that's a good strategy to rebuild a core. You draft guys who will make it, 90% sure... And up to now, that's what they did... We didn't pick high, but we picked guys with NHL tatooed on the forehead.

However, don't try to find that hidden 1st round gem among our draftees... It's not there. No risk, no reward... No risk, No havlat, no bergeron, no gagné.

But with the load of prospects we actually, and with 2 picks in the 1st round, the organisation will continue in the same direction as in 2006. They'll hope to pick the wild card.

David Fisher could be the best dman picked since Chris Pronger... but (although he was picked some years before Pronger) same was said about David Wilkie. Just need to be patient.

I remember Robbie Schremp being one of the most talented if not the most talented of his class... but being picked in the 20s because he was a high risk guy... We picked Chipchura... And although I love Chipchura, I can't help but think that if we could have afforded the risk to pick him (we couldn't afford the risk at that time... remember, Czerkawski was on the 1st line!), well, we would have a Star caliber center in the system.

Same can be said about Anze Kopitar, although, considering Price's bright outlook, I might never regret that pick... Price IMO is a risk that was worth taking... There were great forwards out there, but Price is the shit. The "next one".

Sometimes a couple of ranks mean nothing. Last year the habs traded down to draft 20th instead of 16th because they knew that the guy they wanted, Fisher, would still be available... That 2nd round pick we got in return concretized in Mathieu Carle... :)

By the way, it was with san jose that we swaped pics. We also claimed Traverse from them and traded him for Biron afterwards, and the we sent them Rivet... Bob seems to have friends in SJ

the last time we had two 1st round picks was in 2000

our other pick came from a trade with...San Jose !!!

we got hainsey and hossa.

I hope we do better this time

We will do better this time. We began to make good drafts in 2001.

Before 2001 very few of our first round pick became NHLer, but since 2001 its very good: Higgins, Komi, Kosti, Perez (Chipchura, Price and Ficher are still developing).

I trust Trevor Timmins.

as of today our draft would look like this assuming the sharks and stars don't win the cup or their division, and one of the current division leaders wins the cup,

1st- 15th

1st- 21st (sj)

2nd- 45th

3rd- 66th (caps)

3rd- 75th

5th- 135th

5th- 143rd (stars)

6th- 165th

7th- 195th

Actually, it was 2001....Komisarek and Perezhogin.

as of today our draft would look like this assuming the sharks and stars don't win the cup or their division, and one of the current division leaders wins the cup,

1st- 15th

1st- 21st (sj)

2nd- 45th

3rd- 66th (caps)

3rd- 75th

5th- 135th

5th- 143rd (stars)

6th- 165th

7th- 195th

That is pretty good ammunition to go into the draft with. This draft may not have the clear cut top end stars of previous years, but the overall depth is excellant. Habs seem poised to take advantage of that. Coming on the heels of what looks like two very good back to back drafts in 2005 and 2006, they could be formulating the core for a very powerful team in a few years.

I like the fact that the Habs will have 2 first round picks, regardless of what position they are in the round. There are a number of potentially good NHL players, but the draft is not as likely to develop any superstars. That's been the general concensus amongst the media & scouts, but every year there is always an exception or two. The way I like to look at the draft is this: the more bullets you have, the better the chances you'll hit the target.

A lot of stars were not projected as such when they were drafted. Zetterberg (210th), Datsyuk (171th), Savard (91th), Visnovski (118th), Lidstrom (53rd) and Vokoun (226th) are good examples. Brière and St-Louis weren't even drafted.

We just have to hope that our scouts will do a nice job (which I think they do, seeing our low picks such as Halak and S. Kostytsin developing so well)

Actually, it was 2001....Komisarek and Perezhogin.

correct !!

1st- 15th

1st- 21st (sj)

2nd- 45th

3rd- 66th (caps)

3rd- 75th

5th- 135th

5th- 143rd (stars)

6th- 165th

7th- 195th

I believe that one of those two was given to San jose in the Rivet.

The Rivet deal was a 5th rounder in 2008.

youre right. but why ?? how's a 5th rounder in 08 is better than one in 07 ??

youre right. but why ?? how's a 5th rounder in 08 is better than one in 07 ??

you sorta have to depreciate draft picks as they get farther in the future. Aside from anything else, as a GM you have to be aware that you might not be in the job when that later draft comes along, definitely less likely to benefit from it during your tenure. Conversely, a GM sending away a pick doesnt have to care as much about later drafts. As drafts get farther into the future it is less likely that he will be there to miss the pick.

It's kinda like the difference between borrowing 10 bucks and saying "I'll get it to you at the end of the month", or "I'll pay you back in a couple of months.". Gives a little more wiggle room.

Hey bobby, eith a brilliant game like tonight's, you might have to change your title ti: yay, we have a top ten pick !!

Actually, Hossa has been on fire for the last month (although he's been playing with Jagr) while Hainsey is establishing himself as a quality NHL defensemen.

The truth is that we can pick whoever we want, but we'll have to find a way to properly develop our best offensive prospects in the near future if we ever want to be more than a team fighting for a playoff spot. We're doing just fine with defensive-minded, 2-way players like Higgins, Lapierre, Komisarek ... but we have a disastrous track record for naturally talented guys like Kostsitsyn, Perezhogin, Hainsey ...

As I've mentionned before, if we're gonna pick offensive talent, and fail to develop it, I'd rather stick to players like Chipchura, Higgins, White, Price, Fischer who we know will strive and achieve most of their potential within the Habs organization.

Edited by CerebusClone

Kostitsyn seems to develop well. He's been an offensive treat against Buffalo and Boston. He's gaining confidence in the big league. We definitly have a future first line winger IMO. A future point-per-game player.

Don Lever seems to be a good development coach, even for offensive minded player. He managed to make defensively responsible players of Kosty and Gravbovsy, while letting them express their offensive instincts (they've been over a point per game since december playing together)

Well the draft gods are smiling on the Habs if no one else is. The only two teams in worse slumps than Montreal at the moment, are San Jose (Mtl has their 1st round pick), and Washington (Mtl has their 3rd round pick). Not much of a silver lining, but hey......:unsure: