Finally! Habs will retire more numbers

Spider-Man NL

According to Red Fisher, plans are already underway to raise a few more numbers to the rafters beginning next season (if there is a next season, that is) Turns out the front office was just too darned busy to do it this year. Read on...

Habs to retire numbers starting next season

several former greats to be honoured.

RED FISHER

The Gazette

Saturday, March 20, 2004

Enough, already, about this business of why Canadiens management people have had their heads in the sand in terms of retiring sweaters this season. Here's why, and why you can expect a number of them to be raised to the Bell Centre rafters, starting next season.

Shortly before the start of this season, the Canadiens' board of directors held a meeting to discuss the process. That was followed by one-on-one meetings involving president Pierre Boivin and certain members of the media. It appeared he was seeking their suggestions for candidates whose numbers should be retired. At the time, there was ample reason to believe at least a couple of players would be honoured this season.

It hasn't happened - and won't - because the organization was committed to organizing several celebrations, such as Jean Béliveau's golden anniversary with the Canadiens, the Heritage Classic in Edmonton, a half-dozen vintage-jersey nights at the Bell Centre and the introduction of a Canada Post stamp honouring a number of NHL icons. The group included Larry Robinson.

Another board meeting was held last week at which a proposal was made - and I am now assured that starting next season (if there is one), sweaters will be retired and the process will continue on an annual basis until 2009, the 100th anniversary of le Club de Hockey Canadien.

The Canadiens have asked the NHL to hold the All-Star Game and draft in Montreal that year.

• 1 month later...

Robinson is a top 5 defenseman in league history, he HAS to have his # retired.

And even though he treated us like a piece of crap at the end of his career, but Patrick Roy did alot of the team.

But if you retire his # you gotta retire Dryden's, since he won 3 times as many Cups for us than Roy.

#12 is a legendary number too. Cournoyer and Moore. Retire them both.

Maybe 5 too. Lapointe and Geoffrion.

I'd like to see the following numbers retired:

Dryden

Robinson

Roy

There are a few others that are worthy of consideration but these 3 names are the most deserving IMO.

Mahavolich, Lach, Geoffrion, Esposito, Vezina and even Gainey could all have their place as well...but the other 3 guys are probably more deserving.

I like the fact that it's damn near impossible to get a number retired with this organization...if too many get retired it cheapens the meaning of it.

Originally posted by Zowpeb

Esposito

Esposito played what 10 games with the Habs?

I understand he was a Hall of Famer in Chicago but you cannot retire the guys numbers based on what he did elsewhere. It defeats the purpose of retiring numbers. It's based on what is doing with the Habs. Esposito and Mahovlich do not deserve to have their #'s retired by the Montreal Canadiens.

If you wanna start retiring #'s based on the success players had elsewhere, you'd need to retire LeClair's #17, Langway's #17 and so on.

I agree that retiring too many #'s loses its apeal. You will all probably disagree with this, however, if they do retire a #, the player should play his entire career with :hlogo: , Lafluer of course being the exception. I would only retire Roy's jersey if he decided to enter the hall of fame as the a Canadien, not the slowflakes from Colorado. It's a shame the way things ended, hell I even cried when he said that he never wanted to play for us again. To have your # retired is a special meaning to the fans to remind us of who they were, and what they did for the club, and leave us with a lasting impression.

if they do retire a #, the player should play his entire career with :hlogo:

That would be pretty dumb.

Hockey is a business and players travel a lot. That would mean players such as Wayne Gretzky, Hasek, Lindros, and Messier will never have their jerseys or numbers retired.

If anyone is tough on retiring numbers, it's Detroit.

Again, a players success for the Montreal Canadiens shouldn't be underminded because they finished their career in another city.

So does Gretzky not deserve to have his # retired by the Oilers cause he finished in New York? and so on...

All that matters is what the player did in Montreal. Doesn't matter where he finished his career or what he did with other teams.

Robinson, Savard, Roy, Gainey, Cournoyer, Moore, Geoffrion deserve to be honoured by the Montreal Canadiens for their years of loyal service.

[Edited on 2004/5/19 by Leafs Suck]

The habs need to find a new way to "honour" their greats. A team can only retire so many numbers before they run out of numbers altogether... (do you want to see a team full of guys in the #80-90's ?)

And its only going to get worse as time goes by... Think of all the future legends (Hopefully :D) who's numbers we will one day have to retire.

I agree that generally speaking guys need to have a long career with the Habs to have their numbers retired but Esposito and Mahvolich are exceptions to the rule IMO. It's not often that players are ever as good as them...although I can understand the opinion otherwise.

And comparing LeClair and Langway to them is just wrong...your mother should send you into a corner for even implying that.

Montreal Canadiens have retired

Jacques Plante's No. 1,

Doug Harvey's No. 2,

Jean Beliveau's No. 4,

Howie Morenz' No. 7,

Maurice (Rocket) Richard's No. 9,

Guy Lafleur's No.10

Henri Richard's No. 16.

I suggest that we have a lot of room before we only have a team in the 80's and 90's number-wise

I think that Gainey, Robinson, Serge Savard, Dryden (and a very long time in the future, Roy) deserve to have their #'s retired.

Esposito ?????!!!! That would be like the Blackhawks retiring Orr's number or the Canucks retiring Cam Neely's. It shouldnt even be considered. Mahovolich at least contributed to several cups

Roy's 33 should definitely be raised. Nobody should ever wear that number again in Montreal.

1995 should be a non-issue too. He had a right to be angry and demand a trade. He was no more unprofessional on that night than Mario Trembley.

Geez, I've really stirred the hornets nest now eh?

As a fan, I apreciate how tough it is to get your # in the rafters, I don't want to see every Tom, Dick and Harry up there.

Listen, I was just trying to give a suggestion about how they should handle retiring #'s in the future for many more players.....yes 'les glorieux' is the greatest franchise in all sports, and as a result, have many many excellent players, however IMO I really feel that those that served the club with longevity should be rewarded with that honour, especially in this day and age. Had Gretzky played 1 game for the red white and blue, does that warrant him to have his jersy raised.....I hope it would not, it loses its appeal and its meaning.... the distinct honor of serving the Canadiens and its fans.

Exceptions are made here and there, sure, but to what extent? when does it end? C'mon, we are fans of the greatest team, the players that honour its rich history and tradition and excelled in their time deserve that distinction of the # being raised.

BTW, I was huge on Roy since '86, was in tears that fabled night in the Forum against the Wings......Trembley of course is an idiot, but shit happens. Could Roy been more profesional? sure, but I feel for St. Pat too, don't get me wrong. My point was to say his words "I will never play for this team again" hurt, and still burns because of the downfall of the frachise, I just wonder if he regrets leaving, I am sure he could have gotton Rejean Fool and Trembley fired via the media. Of course I would like to see his # retired, but I want him to want to go into the hall as a Canadien.

Seriously... do u guys want hockeyjerseys to look like football jerseys? I dont want to hear "goal scored by #97, assisted by #84 and #110" Sure... honor them by raising the jerseys but dont lock the numbers away.

skip the number... use only the name on the jersey raised.

This isn't basketball where all the greats where numbers under 40: (32, 3, 8, 34, 1, 23, 33) etc.

A lot of players where high numbers in the NHL, like Ribeiro or Perreault for instance.

The Habs don't have to retire the number#33. A lot of fans won't stand for a goalie wearing that number.