Koivu Appreciation Thread

Nilan

Even better is the 'get rid of Koivu' argument. Right, we'll be BETTER without our best player :D:D:D

We need a #1 C because Koivu can't play at that high a level for the entire 82 games - he's shown that repeatedly. However, that DOESN'T mean he sucks, isn't a leader, or that a loss in which he has three assists is 'his fault.'

I wonder if Leafs fans are blaming Mats Sundin...

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to come back to this thread and revive the discussion a bit. Now that the Habs are out of the playoffs, everyone's pointing fingers, but there are a few members of this hockey club that do not deserve this crap. One of them is Bob Gainey, another is Saku Koivu:

STOP WITH THE KOIVU BULLCRAP

I'm sick of hearing some ignorant Habs fans out there burning this guy at the stake for "not being a leader", "not having the offensive production we expect", being "useless to the team", etc.

The guy's one of the best leaders in the NHL, and don't take my word for it. Ask anyone who's played with him. His offensive production? He just had the best season of his career (despite a serious eye injury last spring. Oh yeah, remember that?) For crying out loud. How can you ask more from this guy? Sure he's not perfect (his usual penalty is the hook; seems to be his achilles heel.. he also has some dry spells, but who doesn't?) but he gives it his best every night, and even though he doesn't score a great deal, he sets up the plays (and for that reason often goes unnoticed and underappreciated). Koivu is, and always has been, above all else, a playmaker. And he's a damn good one at that (not to mention a shoot-out superhero).

It just boggles the mind how some fans out there can possibly hate on this guy. Whether or not you think he's worth 4.75$million is a question of opinion, (i personally think he is, and then some) but to hate on him for what he brought to the table this year... is nothing short of asinine.

If you want to rip on someone, rip on Kovalev, Samsonov, Aebischer, etc.

Leave Koivu out of this.

Right on!

Agreed. Cataclaw makes very good arguments. He played well this year; and I'm sure many forgot about his eye injury.

In my mind there is no doubt that one day Koviu will retire a habs. GO HABS GO!

Edited by Chips

No words can explain our captain Saku "brick" Koivu. he has given his all to this team the past 11 years and the this year the 11th was his most productive playing with one eye. if he could be moved to 2nd line center if Gainey ever decides to get a number 1 guy then Saku could be a 90 point man.

SAKU SAKU SAKU SAKU SAKU SAKU SAKU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if Leafs fans are blaming Mats Sundin...

Given his inability to put the puck in the net during the crucial stretch drive...they probably should be to some exent.

Edited by sbhatt

Given his inability to put the puck in the net during the crucial stretch drive...they probably should be to some exent.

I don't know... there is only so much one player can do. I think in both the Habs case and the Leafs case the reason why they didn't make the playoffs was because not enough players did a good enough job. Personally I think both Sundin and Koivu have a history of being competetive and consistent.

I just had to look up Sundin's profile on TSN. "Assets: Has excellent strength and reach and is very hard to get the puck from. Is extremely slick, loves to find the holes and has a wide variety of shots. Consistency is the name of his game." Am I the only one who's turned on by this? ;):lol: