New Lines???

Bonavistaman11

I heard on TSN tonight that Julien is shaking up the lines again...... Perreault will be taken off the top line and Kovalev will take over his spot.

They never mentioned anything about the other lines.

Whats up with all the line juggling while the team is playing so well??? Perreault had finally started to heat up and now he gets demoted, what kick in the A$$...

Does anyone know what the other lines will be?

My Assumption:

Kovalev-Koivu-Zednik

Perreault-Ribeiro-Ryder

Bulis-Dowd-Ward

Sundstrom-begin-Dackell??

:ghg:

Kovalev-Koivu-Zednik  

Perreault-Ribeiro-Ryder  

Bulis-Dowd-Ward  

Sundstrom-begin-Dackell??  

Perreault always ends up getting demoted. It doesn't matter if he does good or not.

I don't think he'll move this time though. Kovalev won't go to first line because he had 1 open net goal.

The rest looks perfect.

i don't mind that. they may as well try it out. kovalev is a stud player and maybe him playing with zednik and koivu will have amazing results. it would also be nice to see if perrault can still perform on another line...if it doesn't work out they can always go back.

as for kovalev only have 1 goal and that being an empty netter he's sure had his chances. he's been playing well and just getting unlucky. he's missed top corner by an inch or so a handful of times, and hit a couple posts. they are bound to start going in.

it's better to try stuff out now, than to try it out in the playoffs.

i like that too! they should give dagenais more of a chance and should be good with ribeiro. it's too bad for perrault but he's kinda the odd man out...i guess bulis is too since he got injured and now doesn't really have a chance of going back to the first line.

:can:

Kovalev-Koivu-Zednik  

Dagenais-Ribeiro-Ryder  

Bulis-Perreault-Sundstrom  

Langdon-Dowd-Ward  

Julien has a huge problem.

He doesn't seem to get that you can't throw players like Perreault (or Zednik/Kovalev), just anywhere you want. Perreault is purely an offensive player. Why would you throw him on a checking line? Perreault doesn't check, he doesn't defend. He scores - and that's all he does. A skill required on the 1st and 2nd line. And he certainly has been playing better offensively than Dagenais. He gets thrown there because he can win faceoffs. That's destroying him.

It's when he moves up to the scoring line that he starts producing. Everyone at this forum wants to see offensive performance from Perreault, so it's only logical to put him on an offensive line, not the checking line.

This is ridiculous. Every time Perreault is on the checking lines, he doesn't perform. Figure it out Julien. Ribeiro would be way better in Perreault's 3rd line spot.

[Edited on 2004/3/24 by Ribeiro]

Ribeiro,

I am not sure if you've been watching the games lately, but the Perreault you're talking about isn't the Perreault that Julien is putting in his lines.

The new Perreault goes into the corners. The new Perreault back-checks. Hell, the new Perreault passes - when was the last time we heard that happening?

Sure, Perreault was pointless against NJ, but what do you expect? Wasn't Zednik too?

Perreault is a centreman, and he is playing centre on a line whose wingers can hold their own. Begin will be back soon, and Perreault will continue playing the Pea-and-Shell game

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I think Yanic should stay on the top line. He was worthless for two months, but somebody finally found a way to light a fire under his ass. I wish they would have done it a long time ago. If he's playing well, why move him? If he reverts to his old self, then move him down again. Then again, you have to at least hope that the coach knows what he is doing better than any of us do.

He's probably just continously juggling lines to see who Kovalev ends up playing the best with and also to see what other players start clicking that way he knows which lines are the best come playoff time. So it's better that he juggles the lines now during the end of the season with playoffs almost completly guarenteed then seeing him juggling them in game 4 of the first round with us down 3 becuase no one is clicking.

The lines that would seem to work best IMO are:

Kovalev-Koivu-Zednik

Buli-Perreault-Ryder

Dagenais-Ribeiro-Sundstrom

Langdon-Dowd-Ward

Actually, make that my "fantasy line."

The line that would work best:

Perreault-Koivu-Zednik

Kovalev-Ribeiro-Ryder

Dagenais-Bulis-Sundstrom

Langdon-Dowd-Ward

Dagenais either belongs on Ribs line or no line at all. And since he doesn't really belong on the 2nd line, leave him out. I like the guy, but he doesn't show enough heart and effort most of the time. I wish he would because he and Ribs are pretty good together. Withour Ribs, he is almost nothing. Heck, the only reason we signed him was because of past chemistry with Ribs.

And don't forget about Begin, he'll be centering either the 3rd or 4th line, and it will probably be Dagenais' spot he takes in the lineup for the playoff lines.

Originally posted by westcoasthabs

i guess bulis is too since he got injured and now doesn't really have a chance of going back to the first line.

He's played most of the year on the top lines and has a measely 30 pts... send his underachieving ass back on the 3rd already, it's about time.

That said if you're looking to spread out the offense he's a guy you can plug into an offensive line to free up an actual offensive player to play on the 3rd line.

Perreault is only on the 3rd line because both Bégin & Juneau are out and Julien needs another center.

He'll be back on the first line in no time.

If he cools down then he'll sit, Kovalev will move up with the Koivu line... and the 2nd line will be Ryder-Ribeiro-Dagenais.

But that leaves us with 2 offensive lines instead of three... but that's up to Perreault & Dagenais to produce so can afford to move Ryder to the 3rd line and have a triple threat.

CJ has tons of options... that's what I like.

And I'm sure he'll use 'em, I doubt we'll see the same static lineup all through the playoffs.

[Edited on 24-3-04 by Habs77]

I love how people automatically assume that they know more than the coach.

This guy's not an idiot. He's put this team in the position they are now. I'd consider him a candidate for the Jack Adams. When's the last time anyone who bashed Julien won a Jack Adams? Or was even nominated?

Julien is trying to juggle the lines and see if he can produce three strong offensive lines. Bulis is our former first line winger, and Perrault can be a top-two center when he wants to be. Julien is hoping that Sundstrom can finally break out and put that slick skating and playmaking to work.

Toren, your completely right. Just think where we'd be if we had Therrien still here. Not saying we'd be doing terrible, but i definitly dont think we'd be where we are now. I like the idea of kovalev with koivu and zednik. They tried that before, THE VERY FIRST GAME with kovalev in a habs uniform, and then he got juggled around and now he's back. I think he belongs with them in the first place!

I love how people automatically assume that they know more than the coach.  

I wouldn't go that far. But many fans can be more observant, or have a better observation of the team than the Coach.

How many times have you seen an NFL, NBA and NHL coach completely screw-up?

Remember, all Coaches start as fans.

Toren, your completely right.  Just think where we'd be if we had Therrien still here.  Not saying we'd be doing terrible, but i definitly dont think we'd be where we are now.

You cannot give the majority of success to the Coach. He is not really responsible for Perreault's streak, Ribeiro's break-through season, Souray's burst of talent or Theodore back at the top of his game. He may deserve credit for the latter, but with the same performance, this team would go just (or almost) as far.

Originally posted by Toren

Julien is trying to juggle the lines and see if he can produce three strong offensive lines.  Bulis is our former first line winger, and Perrault can be a top-two center when he wants to be. Julien is hoping that Sundstrom can finally break out and put that slick skating and playmaking to work.

Actually Julien said himself that the only reason he sent Perreault to the 3rd line is because he needed a center with Begin & Juneau out.

He sure gave the impression this was a temporary 1-game situation for Perreault... as Begin & Juneau might be ready to return tomorrow.

Originally posted by habsfan88

Toren, your completely right.  Just think where we'd be if we had Therrien still here.  Not saying we'd be doing terrible, but i definitly dont think we'd be where we are now.  

Well with Gainey to back him up, Therrien would have done much better as well.

The additions of Begin & Langdon would have helped too.

The two things I really credit Julien for that wouldn't have happened with Therrien despite Gainey's arrival:

- the new defensive system... the way Therrien worked the Juneau line always had the most ice-time in an effort to match up with the opposing stars, end we'd end up being outshot 40-15 almost every night.

CJ helped cut the shots against even last year before Gainey & this year's new players.

- Ryder... CJ was the one who convinced Gainey to buy out McKay & Czerk to make room for this kid. He's the one who put him on the first line early and left him there long enough to show he belonged there.

With ANY other coach, Ryder would still be a 3rd-4th liner... at best.