Näslund to retire?

ch_nl

http://www.allehanda.se/sport/2601.html

Vancouvers Markus Näslund says that he's not certain that he will play more hockey after this season. Not i the NHL nor in Sweden.

He also says that he is longing for this season to end and that Vancouver has nothing to get in the playoffs if they don't step up.

Sad.

All we keep hearing about is how Naslund might retire, same for Forsberg, ditto Lidstrom for a couple of years.

I say quit talking about it, retire or shut up... there's the door.

Modano was doing the same for a while, I'm so sick of it.

Either way who cares... as long as he's not with my team.

I can understand what you mean but let's face it: It is not a good sign when some off the top names are thinking off retirement.

I don't know if the same thing happens in the MLB, NBA or NFL. But to me it doesn't look good.

NHL is the smallest of the super leauges. Why? NHL should be the biggest. All the other leauges only have a few non-american players.

But Yankees sell more caps in Europe than Rangers.

And how many europeans have a clue who won the last World Series?

Thats why I think this is of interesting. Because it's another sign of that NHL needs to do something with the image.

It's because hockey isn't as fun as it was before for the players. If it was fun, they wouldn't even think about. But now they get sticks on the face, there's no respect, risks to die or to have a serious injury is very high.

I mean, if you won 10 Millions at the lottery.. would you still work? That will be the same with the players if they don't do something with this sport

let all the european stars come to europe.. its just better for me and other europeans caus if that happens our leagues are the best leagues... and we could watch it LIVE!

Almost every rumour every year is about a Swedish born player going back to play in Sweden. I don't know if it's the Swedish press being hopeful, or what. But it is annoying that at the end of every season Forsberg or Naslund, etc, are supposedly going back to Europe. Doesn't the press over there have anything better to do?

I don't know if you're right about that.

Modano has talked about it. Joe Thornton talked about retire this very season.

And Forsberg and Näslund are two very special persons.

Of course, after speaking with a couple of my Swedish friends, they tend to agree with my argument: most of the time it's started by the local hometown Swedish papers, which eventually gets picked up by the bigger medias, which eventually gets picked up internationally. I guess the Swedes have nothing better to do than worry about whether their hockey players are coming home! (And by Swedes, I mean the press, not all living breathing Swedish people.)