Scott Hartnell

tokyohabs

Apparently he is a huge Habs fan and would love to play for us. I think he is some sort of free agent this year.

Anyone seen him play? His stats aren't overly impressive. A third liner if the third line is more offensive?

No idea about his cap hit either.

He'd certainly go a long way to changing the makeup of our forwards. He's agressive, great forechecker, will make dirty hits, and score 20-30 goals while spending time on the PK unit. He can play center, but he's really a winger (think how people were saying Johnson could play C).

With Bonk & Johnson both likely going, we are going to have to look at filling one of those spots with a vet. Hartnell is the youngest Group III UFA in NHL history at 25. His best years are still ahead of him and he has big time power forward upside, but even if he just improves a little overall he'll still be incredibly effective. He's had some injury problems, and has had one concussion, but that was a while back now. He's scored 47 goals post-lockout on Nashville's 2nd/3rd lines.

To me he's a top priority UFA signing. His age fits perfectly with the core of our team. However, he's not an automatic All-Star like some people want. If we do want an automatic All-Star we might miss out on Hartnell in the process. One combo I like is Handzus/Hartnell as UFAs at forward, and then a lesser d-man like Priessing. But I also expect some setup trades, and one of our needs could be filled before UFA hits.

Hartnell would be an excellent addition. I doubt it'll happen. I have to believe Gainey will be after bigger fish even if it means the trade route.

But, Hartnell did go early in his draft year and he's quite still young. It's definitely not a step backwards for sure.

I wonder if maybe the "old school" of GM thought might come back and visit. Armstrong owes Gainey for Ribs. Hopefully Armstrong stays at Dallas' helm if they go out. And, let's hope the Ribs-Niinimaa deal was "old school" GMing. :)

PS. I thought I'd mention the "old school" since it hasn't been brought up. "Old school" does exist. Sort of like Marcel Hossa may have been Kovalev compensation between "old school" friends like Sather and Gainey.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I am not a huge fan of his but if che comes cheap I would love to have him. He is a competitor that is for sure but I really do not think I want him taking ice tim from any of the Habs other wingers.

I think he'd be a good guy to have and that he could make a good mentor for Gui. They're similar except that Gui seems to have more offensive potential.

He sounds decent. Not someone who will kill us financially, and it is a secret desire of his to play for us. Grew up a Habs fan.

I like the idea of a guy with a lot of grit who chips in w/20-25 goals and kills penalties. Jason Ward with more upside, I'll take that.

At 25 and already a vet, it is a nice mix. Not something that will win us a cup, but get us closer. Plus, we can't litter the 2-3-4 lines with only kids.

And a big thing, he's won more games in the past couple of years than, er, um, can't think of them now...

He'll easily get $2.5m per for 4 years or so on the open market, and that's more than a fair deal. He just turned 25, has what? 350 games in the NHL? 400? Back to back 20 goal seasons (at age 23 & 24) on a good team, without top line ice time. Kills penalties, takes the body, hard to knock off the puck, annoys the piss out of the opposition... you'd fall in love with him immediately if he wore the CH.

We have 2/3 regular forward spots available (Perezhogin hasn't established a permanent spot yet, hence the /3) plus 2 spare spots. One at C, two on the wing. The players that could graduate from the minors are Grabovski, Ferland, Milroy and Chipchura. There's also Garth Murray as an option. Grabovski and Chipchura could spend another year in the AHL without having to clear waivers. Milroy and Ferland both cleared last year, but may not again.

Hartnell is a guy I'd target if Gainey makes a trade this off-season to improve our C or D corps.

Sounds like a good option; however, I doubt that we will sign him since this is a prediction from a fan, and these sort of predictions tend to go nowhere ... Bob has his own rhyme and reason!

Edited by Bacchus

He is a former Prince Albert Raider THAT is a huge reason why I would seriously want to have him on my team He has had to learn a lot in P.A.

Ugh, don't remind me he played for that team. He may have learned valuable drunk in public lessons in PA, though, you're right.

Ugh, don't remind me he played for that team. He may have learned valuable drunk in public lessons in PA, though, you're right.

Well it sure seemed to work for mike modano and a few others I can think of.

Hartnell makes more sense than Daniel Briere to me. He is big, tough, and versatile. It is like the difference between Samsonov and Bonk. Both earn about the same amount of money, and neither is producing offense like they did in the past, but because Bonk has more aspects to his game he can still contribute, and no one is cursing the day they hired him. But I think that Hartnell would cost as much as Samsonov or Bonk, easily. He will sign for 3.5-4 million per year, I think. But if they lose Souray and a couple of others, that wouldn't be unreasonable with the salary cap increasing this year. Hartnell would be a great role model for fellow P.A. alumnus Kyle Chipchura, as well as other young players in the system. He always gives a full effort and doesn't shy away from the dirty work. He would be more useful than Kovalev, I'm sure.

Hartnell makes more sense than Daniel Briere to me. He is big, tough, and versatile. It is like the difference between Samsonov and Bonk. Both earn about the same amount of money, and neither is producing offense like they did in the past, but because Bonk has more aspects to his game he can still contribute, and no one is cursing the day they hired him. But I think that Hartnell would cost as much as Samsonov or Bonk, easily. He will sign for 3.5-4 million per year, I think. But if they lose Souray and a couple of others, that wouldn't be unreasonable with the salary cap increasing this year. Hartnell would be a great role model for fellow P.A. alumnus Kyle Chipchura, as well as other young players in the system. He always gives a full effort and doesn't shy away from the dirty work. He would be more useful than Kovalev, I'm sure.

I wouldn't even want this guy for 2,5 imagine for 3,5... never a Hartnell with this salary. anyway lets get a center not a right winger.

Hartnell can, and has, played all three forward positions. He was a center in junior. He is younger than Mike Komisarek and already has played about 500 NHL games. I think he was team captain in Nashville when he was 20 or so.

edit - He was team captain in junior as a 17 year old, but not in the NHL yet.

Edited by bobby

Apparently he is a huge Habs fan and would love to play for us. I think he is some sort of free agent this year.

Anyone seen him play? His stats aren't overly impressive. A third liner if the third line is more offensive?

No idea about his cap hit either.

What makes you think he is a Habs fan? Reading his bio, he says the person he would most like to meet is George Bush. Loves Nashville for the C&W music and southern hospitality. Not the sort who would be dying to relocate to Montreal by the sound of it.. :blink:

Immediate blood lines (not mine) and horse's mouth, that's all I can say. It's not speculation at all, it's a lock.

3.5 seems a bit much. Going up to 2.5 with a guy who seems to have size, youth, character, track record, versatility, potential...looks good to me.

Immediate blood lines (not mine) and horse's mouth, that's all I can say. It's not speculation at all, it's a lock.

3.5 seems a bit much. Going up to 2.5 with a guy who seems to have size, youth, character, track record, versatility, potential...looks good to me.

BG should hire soemone to follow these threads (here and on other sites). I may be biased, but there are some great ideas bouced around on this forum. Couldn't hurt for the organization to engage in a wider debate. It is our team after-all...GG may own it, but the fans buyout every game.

TIME FOR A HABS FAN TOWN HALL MEETING BOB!!

BG should hire soemone to follow these threads (here and on other sites). I may be biased, but there are some great ideas bouced around on this forum. Couldn't hurt for the organization to engage in a wider debate. It is our team after-all...GG may own it, but the fans buyout every game.

TIME FOR A HABS FAN TOWN HALL MEETING BOB!!

2.5M for a 3rd liner?

Im sorry but no thanks. Not when we lack firepower on the top 2 lines and reliable D-men.

Resources management, that's what its all about with the cap.