Samsonov to Chicago

Fanpuck33

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Salmaleinen really didn't get many minutes last year...I'm not sure why someone implied that he played 1st or 2nd line with Ruutu when that just wasn't the case very often. He was signed by the Blackhawks to do just that but they never actually played him with Ruutu very often. Not to mention that Ruutu missed a big chunk of the year.

Salmaleinen is certainly not a key player but he could be a nice complimentary player on someones top 2 lines...especially if he can be responsible in his own end.

If you look at the splits for him last year you'll see that any month he gets up to 10 - 12 mins in ATOI he starts putting up around a point every other game average...and 10-12 minutes per game is pretty low.

Who knows, if he can have some defensive awareness and click with Koivu, Pleks or Kovalev then he may actually be a nice pick-up. I had him pegged as a sleeper pick last year but he never got the minutes to play and Ruutu's injury issues didn't help since he was signed to play with Ruutu given their previous chemistry as line-mates. If he doesn't pan out, he's cheap and the team saved money against the cap and in general.

Good move overall.

It could also mean that Gainey isn't sure any of the young players will be good enough to make the team (or maybe he doesn't want a guy like Grabovski on the 4th line) so Salmelainen will be a back up plan to play in our last forward spot.

But saying that he never did much because he never got minutes in Chicago doesn't really change much because he won't be getting minutes here either.

It could also mean that Gainey isn't sure any of the young players will be good enough to make the team (or maybe he doesn't want a guy like Grabovski on the 4th line) so Salmelainen will be a back up plan to play in our last forward spot.

But saying that he never did much because he never got minutes in Chicago doesn't really change much because he won't be getting minutes here either.

No one actually knows how many minutes he'll get or what line he'll play with yet...I'd really wait for camp to break before I'd start making such absolute statements. It may not be probable that he'll get big minutes or play on the top 3 lines...but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility...

No one actually knows how many minutes he'll get or what line he'll play with yet...I'd really wait for camp to break before I'd start making such absolute statements. It may not be probable that he'll get big minutes or play on the top 3 lines...but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility...

:clap: