Samsonov to Chicago

Fanpuck33

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A nice move by Gainey. I might have been a little happier had Aucoin come the other way, and we lose Souray.

BUt a nice salary dump with Cullimore and Salmelainen will look good in Hamilton.

Now maybe Souray will stay.

I love how Bob always gets out of his mistakes he is incredible.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9648

Tony Salmelainen, LW

GM Dale Tallon has made some good and even great trades in his tenure. But sending Jaroslav Spacek to Edmonton for Salmelainen in 2005-06 was not one of them. Salmelainen led the top Finnish league in scoring that season, but failed to come remotely close to that kind of production in the NHL. He is blazing fast, but doesn’t finish well and gets knocked off the puck very easily. Often a healthy scratch, Salmelainen ended up with 17 points in 57 games, even though he was often given first and second line minutes, playing with fellow Finn Tuomo Ruutu. In spite of the lofty early expectations, the 25-year-old played the most games of rookies, but played less than 10 minutes a game.

so we traded a guy that didn't want to play in montreal for two players that won't play in montreal next year.

I wish we had a player that could play in the NHL but at least we got rid of samsonov.

that move makes room for yashin :P

so we traded a guy that didn't want to play in montreal for two players that won't play in montreal next year.

I wish we had a player that could play in the NHL but at least we got rid of samsonov.

Salmelainen will probably be Aaron Downey minus the fists. Spend time in the press box, then skate up and down the ice a few times a period every so often.

that move makes room for yashin :P

:puke:

Salmelainen will probably be Aaron Downey minus the fists. Spend time in the press box, then skate up and down the ice a few times a period every so often.

no need for that. I'd rather have a ferland instead

Hey Faerie, its another FINN!

:hlogo:

I KNOW! :king: He's even HWL Isles' property much like the Ribs/Niinimaa trade last summer. Hopefully Tony has a better season than Janne though. *dreams of the number one line in the NHL being Lahti-Koivu-Salmelainen* :lol:

I'm looking forward at seeing Salmelainen at camp. For elite athletes details make a huge difference. Salmelainen is a fast kid, only 25 and has a righthanded shot. He played in the American League on the same team as Mathieu Garon so he has to be good.. ;):P We'll see.

Go :hlogo: go!

I'm looking forward at seeing Salmelainen at camp. For elite athletes details make a huge difference. Salmelainen is a fast kid, only 25 and has a righthanded shot. He played in the American League on the same team as Mathieu Garon so he has to be good.. ;):P We'll see.

Go :hlogo: go!

He was also supposed to play a big role for the Finns at WC, but for reasons undisclosed (or at least reasons that weren't translated into English), he left the team during the middle of training camp. I'm not expecting much from him, but I think he could be a pleasant surprise.

He was also supposed to play a big role for the Finns at WC, but for reasons undisclosed (or at least reasons that weren't translated into English), he left the team during the middle of training camp. I'm not expecting much from him, but I think he could be a pleasant surprise.

but the last finn we had that had conflicts with the National team worked wonders for the Canadiens (Niinimaa)

:rolleyes:

Meh, I'd rather have Salmelainen riding the press box than Ferland. Better to have Ferland playing everyday in Hamilton than not playing in Montreal.

salmelainen is 5'9 while ferland is around 6'2'' and is more of a crashandbanger.

theres room on the 4th line for a guy like ferland who could compliment begin and lapierre. theres no room for another smurf

salmelainen is 5'9 while ferland is around 6'2'' and is more of a crashandbanger.

theres room on the 4th line for a guy like ferland who could compliment begin and lapierre. theres no room for another smurf

I never said anything about a 4th line spot. I'm talking about a healthy scratch spot, that's the role I'm talking about for Salmelainen. I'd rather have an older player with less to learn in the pressbox than a younger guy who could still be learning in Hamilton. If Ferland makes the team as a top 12 forward on the 4th line, that's a different story.

I never said anything about a 4th line spot. I'm talking about a healthy scratch spot, that's the role I'm talking about for Salmelainen. I'd rather have an older player with less to learn in the pressbox than a younger guy who could still be learning in Hamilton. If Ferland makes the team as a top 12 forward on the 4th line, that's a different story.

I would rather have Ferland. There is not much left for him to learn in the AHL he was one of the best scorers for the Dogs last season and plays a very physical game.

I would rather have Ferland. There is not much left for him to learn in the AHL he was one of the best scorers for the Dogs last season and plays a very physical game.

I'm fine with Ferland on the 4th line and Salmelainen in the pressbox, that's what I was trying to say.

I'm sure he will. if salmelainen is our healthy scratch , then so be it.

I'm fine with Ferland on the 4th line and Salmelainen in the pressbox, that's what I was trying to say.

Yeah thats fine but I would even rather have Ferland as the 13th forward rather than in Hamilton.

Edited by JMMR

This can be considered a good move unless Samsonov rebounds with a big year and pots 60 points next season. Neither of those 2 players should be on the habs next season, we have better propects who deserve those spots.

This move is so-so all you fanboys drooling at the mouth to proclaim BG the next prophet of allah should just tone it down a bit.

This can be considered a good move unless Samsonov rebounds with a big year and pots 60 points next season. Neither of those 2 players should be on the habs next season, we have better propects who deserve those spots.

This move is so-so all you fanboys drooling at the mouth to proclaim BG the next prophet of allah should just tone it down a bit.

Bob just saved us 2/3 of 3.5 million in cap space. in exchange for 600k and a minor leaguer I am not sure what you expect. This deal was a great deal to get us out from under a non-producing whiner. By the way is there anything that bob and guy do that you are happy with? :wacko:

and lets face it no matter what sammy does in chi town he sure as hell was not going to do it in montreal. I love that he is going to play for denis savard maybe he likes underachieving non defense russians better than guy :lol: :lol:

Edited by habs rule

I consider this move to be similar to the Theo/Aeby deal. We move a high-priced failure for cap space. Whether or not Sammy rebounds in Chicago is a moot point, because he would not have done so in Montreal.

Also, who really cares if Rick Mercer is gay or not? I don't see it as being something noteworthy enough to have as a signature on a forum primarily designed for discussion about the Montreal Canadiens.

Bob just saved us 2/3 of 3.5 million in cap space. in exchange for 600k and a minor leaguer I am not sure what you expect. This deal was a great deal to get us out from under a non-producing whiner. By the way is there anything that bob and guy do that you are happy with? :wacko:

How much was Samsonovs buyout going to cost us? I don't think it was going to be the full 3.5million this year.

Hmm good question, as for Guy no, he has done a terrible job so far. Hopefully he makes up for it this year. Gainey is medicore, not terrible not impressive.