Dark day for Canada, no fly list goes into effect

Pierre the Great

There are certainly a lot of flaws with it to be sure. I am sure within the next months and years we will hear all sorts of stories about errors and mistakes and people being wrongly accused of someone they are not.

As you said I am all for security but I am not sure that this will do much but cause a lot of headaches.

I can appreciate what they are trying to do. Keeping those particular people off planes makes me feel safer. The thing that will make my blood boil is the delays it'll create.

Welcome to Canada. This is typical of our history really. Trudeau put in sections 1 and 33 in the Charter for a reason. Canadians rights have always been able to be overridden. But, Trudeau was clever. Absolute rights absolutely can be disasterous if the wrong conditions politically allow them to fester and lead to a further loss of freedom. Sort of live a V for Vendetta scenario. Sections 1 and 33 are the catch 22 of the freedom we have. A PM with enough justification can enact the War Measures Act and the Charter can be overridden.

1. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

Eg. Reasonable limits will be demonstrably justified to enact the War Measures Act because there is a major threat from a possible enemy. And, the police are coming to your home because no one can really stop them now, can they?

Opponents should use the Charter as an attack on the policy. I believe it will win in the SCOC. I'd use section 15.

15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

Argument: Having the wrong name undermines equality.

Bienvenue au Canada!