Bush commutes Scooter Libby's sentence

Pierre the Great

I don't understand why the U.S. has given their presidents this executive power in the first place.

The colonists wanted to assure that if an injustice was carried out on American soil (a renegade justice system for example), the chief executive, the person who had the most concern for justice and equality (in theory) would have the ability to release that person. In theory, justice would be served.

It (presidential pardoning) doesn't seem to be the greatest idea when the president is not indeed the foremost official on equality and fairness, but you have to remember that the constitution was ratified in 1789 and made the highest law of the land, with a very complicated and difficult process for making amendments (changes, there have been 27 I think). 1789 was a time for the United States when the authors were worried about one part of the government gathering too much power and essentially becoming a tyrranical dictatorship (Any reference to George Bush as a tyrranical dictatorship is exaggerated and unwise, so save it). That's why there are checks and balances. The executive pardon is a check on the legal system (the judicial branch) by the president (the executive branch). It may not seem to make sense today, because it may or may not be being misapplied. However, you have to be able to see beyond the tip of your nose (not a popular notion on these boards) and understand that the system was designed a specific way and for a specific purpose. It was made the highest law in the land and difficult to change for these very same reasons. Stability and a balance of power. The Constitution is still the supreme law of the land, and ultimately, the way for the people to check the government is to vote for different leaders. That is assuredly what will happen here in '08, and thank god for term limits. So, as far as I'm concerned, the system is working, and even though you or I may not like it, this is a result that shows how strong and how viable the system is. The beauty of a democracy is that you are allowed to not like it, in fact, it's guaranteed.

This is simple stuff.

P.S.: Anybody who is sitting in their living room in Canada (I don't know who is and who is actually in the U.S.) and criticizing the United States needs to mind their business or read up on their history. ;)

the average person convicted of lying in contempt of court spends 5 years in prison. And does the time.

60% of the population believe Bush was in the wrong to commute his sentence. SurveyUSA poll 40% of Republicans wanted to see the sentence carried out.

Bush now hasn't ruled out a full pardon.

This is wrong. And if I here a conservative say it was unjust and excessive I'm going to burst. The average sentence for Libby's crime is 5 years. 5 years!

And then to say Clinton should have gone to jail but Libby did nothing wrong is a complete joke.

You can't have it both ways.

I'm not picking a side... because I don't think either of you is making much sense.

BUT

Clinton lied under oath.

By your own logic, President Clinton should have done his 5 years in prison just like Scooter Libby. I'm sure Scooter Libby committed a crime, but if we're using Clinton as precedent, then the system has been perfectly consistent. Neither did their time. The judicial system failed with Clinton, the executive system failed with Libby. It's a flawed system, everybody's happy.

End of argument.

I'd say everybody's upset, but never at the same time, hehe.

When half the country is A, and the other half is B, then you're going to have that effect. It's a glass-half-empty/glass-half-full thing.

Olbermann is every bit the asshole that Bill O'Reilly is. Both spend more time attacking their opponents than they do on actual issues. People like these two are why news channels are so worthless and only add to the division in this country.

Olbermann is every bit the asshole that Bill O'Reilly is. Both spend more time attacking their opponents than they do on actual issues. People like these two are why news channels are so worthless and only add to the division in this country.

Really? I dunno. Olbermann isn't vile and a low life like O'Rielly.

And its not like he does his comments everyday like O'Rielly and they aren't filled with hate like O'Rielly.

At least Olbermann cares about the country. Frankly I don't because all I see is hate.

Olbermann Implores Bush To Resign For The Good Of The Nation

Here's an interesting side regarding the situation - YouTube video embeded into this link's website:

http://www.matthewgood.org/2007/07/olberma...-of-the-nation/

Intelligent, articulate and compelling -- too much so to resonate with an American public dumbed down by a propagandist media and ruled by the politics of fear. Maybe one in five will get it, but it's refreshing to see this on a major American TV network.

Really? I dunno. Olbermann isn't vile and a low life like O'Rielly.

And ts not like he does his comments everyday like O'Rielly and they aren't filled with hate like O'Rielly.

At least Olbermann cares about the country. Frankly I don't because all I see is hate.

There. Much better.

And I'm pretty sure O'Reilly cares about the country in his own way. I just don't agree with his way.

Somehow, O'Reilly slaughters Olbermann in the ratings. I want Olbermann back on ESPN with Dan Patrick.

"He puts the biscuit in the basket."

"GUH!!"

"Tony Tarasco Sauce."

"He hit the ball real hard."

"Jos-E-6 Offerman."

Anybody who remembers Oldermann on Sportscenter will surely agree. One of the best tandems ever. (Though Stuart Scott and Rich Eisen had their moments... and Charlie Steiner was funny as hell.)

The Fifth Estate did a great documentary on the US media with special attention given to Fox News. The link is below.

Look for appearances by Donahue, Franken and Coulter. My favourite moments are at 20 minutes (Paris Business Review?) and 33 minutes (Canada sent troops to Vietnam?). Prepare to see O'Reilly and Coulter take a cold bath courtesy of Bob McKeown.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6LubMd_C9II&amp...ted&search=

The Fifth Estate did a great documentary on the US media with special attention given to Fox News. The link is below.

Look for appearances by Donahue, Franken and Coulter. My favourite moments are at 20 minutes (Paris Business Review?) and 33 minutes (Canada sent troops to Vietnam?). Prepare to see O'Reilly and Coulter take a cold bath courtesy of Bob McKeown.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6LubMd_C9II&amp...ted&search=

This is completely the reason I'm leaving the states. Its only getting worse and no normal person can live with this crap.

Nothing is worse then getting death threats, I should know I was afraid to go to school during the iraq war. These people are monsters.

When you've been degraded as a human being 24/7 365 for most of your life you don't know who you are anymore. When people fight you because of your political beliefs, say you are a baby eater, threaten to kill you, saying they're going to attack your house and that you are going to hell. You don't feel like you are a human being anymore. Because your the 'enemy' the lowest of the low in society just because you disagree with the mob of sheep.

No rational human being can live in the US anymore. Its not possible.

Edited by Pierre the Great