Bobby Smith story

habscout

Bobby Smith was a very fine, classy player. He never seems to have been fully appreciated by habs' fans, despite being our main man during the mid-to-late 80s.

I remember the '89 semi-finals series against a tough Flyers squad...there was a brawl towards the end, in Philadelphia, after Hextall mindlessly skated out of his crease to attack Chelios. With the Habs leading comfortably and only a few seconds left, Smith was ejected, but exited by raising his arm in the "We're #1" gesture (doubling as a f*ck you) to the Philly fans, who were just going bananas with rage :lol::lol::lol: That was great. :hlogo:

We sure could do with that big, skilled C now, man.

Bobby Smith was a very fine, classy player. He never seems to have been fully appreciated by habs' fans, despite being our main man during the mid-to-late 80s.

I remember the '89 semi-finals series against a tough Flyers squad...there was a brawl towards the end, in Philadelphia, after Hextall mindlessly skated out of his crease to attack Chelios. With the Habs leading comfortably and only a few seconds left, Smith was ejected, but exited by raising his arm in the "We're #1" gesture (doubling as a f*ck you) to the Philly fans, who were just going bananas with rage :lol::lol::lol: That was great. :hlogo:

Amen. Bobby was probably my favourite player from those teams. He was a smart hockey player - and also very smart scholastically, as indicated by the OHL's naming of its award for the player who best combines hockey and academic excellence - the Bobby Smith Trophy.

Yeah that was awesome!! The Flyers were not in the Habs league that year. Unfortunately Gilmour, Vernon and Macinnis killed us in the Finals.

But I remember the early 80s and Smith was a rock at the center position. I still remember being in shock that they got him for Napier and Acton.