Perezhogin was justified

Leafs Suck

This may uspet some people but I don't blame Perezhogin for what he did.

You cannot see it on the video thats on this site, but watch the one on TSN or Sportsnet or wherever.

It CLEARLY shows Stafford swinging his stick at Perezhogin's head first. Infact it smacked him in the head, but not hard enough to knock him out.

Now Hogin's reaction would have been the same to me and most other people who were just assulted, retaliation. I would have done the same thing he did. If some wanker takes a two-handed swing at my head, they are gonna get it right back.

This cannot be compared to McSorley or Bertuzzi. Both of those were premeditated and both were away from the play. This one wasn't. This was in the heat of battle infront of the net, Stafford intended to injure Hogin by swinging at his head. He hit him but not hard enough to cause serious injure. Perehozing, obviously frustrated and pissed off (like most people would be) swung back.

It's too bad Stafford got injuried but I believe Hogin would never have done it if Stafford hadn't have swung at his head.

Bob MacKenzie sumed it up by saying:

"What makes Perezhogin on Stafford different is that it happened in the heat of battle. Perezhogin and Stafford both battled in front of the net and fell to the ice. Stafford first swung his stick at Perezhogin's head and struck a glancing blow off the helmet. Perezhogin reacted, and reacted badly, with devastating consequences. "

[Edited on 2004/5/2 by Leafs Suck]

Thanks for the link. It clearly shows Stafford going for his head. I cannot blame Hogin for doing it. It was a clearly attempt to injure, he just missed. I'd like to see the anti-Montreal media reaction if Hogin was hit, not Stafford.

Anybody else see the crosscheck to the face he got from one of the Barons? Geez. Crosscheck to the face, someone swinging at his head, can you really blame Hogin for snapping?

I hope the other guy gets suspended for just as long.

[Edited on 2004/5/2 by Leafs Suck]

Don't worry, you'll see an article from me very soon (I'm gonna wait to see what kind of suspension the AHL hands out) about the whole situation, and I've been on the side that Perezhogin isn't "innocent", but he certainly is just as guilty as Stafford is. Plus, I'll be talking about some other points about the game and the league itself.

Yep, sticking swinging should not be tolerated. Even if Stafford missed, he clearly was trying to injure Hogin. Both were wrong. The part that annoys me is the anti-Montreal media jumps on Hogin and refuses to even show the Stafford swing.

If Stafford doesn't get the same lenght or close to it, it'll be a huge injustice

I cant agree. It was stupid to retaliate like that. If he would have threwn himself on that guy and smack his head with fists it wouldve been a fair deal but to swing a stick like that to his head is insane.

Yes fists would have been better but in the heat of battle you don't think. You just retaliate. I am sure if Hogin was gonna do it over, he would have dropped the gloves and not swung at his head.

The Clevland coach and owner should spend less time whining and more time watching the replay and seeing what their players did.

I think he should be suspended but not thrown out of Northamerican hockey like that bozo of a coach wanted.

Just hope that this wont slow down Perezhogins developement to much.

He didn't say he was gonna do it like Bertuzzi's thing, and he didn't follow him around the ice like McSorley's thing. This was in the heat of battle. He had two guys take vicious shots at him and he snapped.

Now if he skated up to him and out of the blue slashed him, it would be different. But the fact they went after him with some vicious stick work themselves, pushed him over the edge.

I have watched the video perhaps 15 times now. The Cleveland guy did swing at Perezhogin, but it wasn't very hard, and not intended for his head. Perezhogin was provoked by this, but there was no reason for him to swing at the guy as hard as he did. Giving him a jab or a slash would have been fine, but he never should have swung at him like that.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I really want Alex on this team next year, but I don't know if I can get past this incident. I don't think he intended to hit the guy in the face, but you can't go around swinging your stick like that, no matter how much somebody provokes you. Hopefully he will learn from this and be a better player and person because of it.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

You can't justify giving someone a 3rd degree concussion.  

That's like justifying shooting and killing someone, it won't work.

So Scott Stevens should have gotten a suspension for his hit on Lindros in the 2000 playoffs? the CLEAN bodycheck that gave Lindros a concussion?

Nope, he shouldnt have been, and he wasnt.

It should be the ACT that is punished, not the injury resulting from it. Until the NHL (and other hockey leagues) start thinking like this they will be stuck with this garbage stick-work/cheap-shots.

[Edited on 2004-5-3 by puck7x]

Hockey is so inconsistant.

Belak gets 8 games for basically the exact same play.

Hogin gets lynched by the media

Bertuzzi almost kills Moore and the Nuck fans and GM defend him

The sport is in a sad state. The fact the AHL is afarid to even point the finger at Stafford is laughable. While he should not get what Hogin gets, he should get maybe half. I don't think the victim of an attack has ever been suspended.