Bonk

Ward

Dagenais

Dowd

Sundstrom

Dackell

Perreault

Langdon

I still don't get why Dagenais is in there. He's worthless without Ribeiro, and it shows there that he isn't with Ribeiro. He's on a checking line, and obviously he can't check.

Why is he still here? Couldn't the Habs have dropped him and brought back someone else?

:nono:

I hope he won't be starting next year.

Edit: Depth

[Edited on 2004-7-13 by sakiqc]

As I posted under "Habs Pick up Dagenais Option", I think picking up Dags was a good move. He can score and that is a precious commodity in the NHL. With an improvement in his skating --- which I am sure will be demanded by the team-- he will be able to make a positive contribution. If not he will be banished to Hamiltion--- Cheap insurance. Not only to keep him on hand for us, but also to prevent him blossoming with another team. Canadiens management has been guilty of impatience in the past... this should not be the case with BG.

A depth chart like we have at http://www.habsworld.net/players/playersC_00.php is a list of the best players at every position. It is not a Line proposition. According to HW, Dagenais is now the 4th better player at the LW position in the moment.

For Current lines, we were keeping track of them here: http://www.habsworld.net/show_stats.php?id=269

DjStang, it seems you pretty like Dagenais.. Try to not make personal attack in your post to other users. :/) Thanks

[Edited on 2004-7-10 by sakiqc]

Originally posted by Guy10

When will the depth charts be updated, there's a bunch of guys not even on the team still on the chart.

Around the training camp probably, where we can get a better idea of who progressed more. And as for Kovalev and the other FA, we leave them there for a bit, but yeah we could put them in italics or something. Thanks

When Dagenais played, most of the time he was indeed on Ribeiro's line.

I don't think anyone here is saying that Dagenais is a great player or anything. I just think DJStang is saying that keeping Dags is a good move. He is a cheap, depth player. If anyone gets hurt, he can step in and score a few goals.

[Edited on 7-12-04 by Fanpuck33]

Originally posted by Ribeiro

He wrote "Dagenais played with Ribeiro in the minors" like it was news that TSN just released.

I am sure that the average Habs fan does not know that they played together in the minors. The only reason I know is because of forums like this. The average fan doesn't know everything about his/her team.

By the way, why is "depth" such a hard word to spell? I see it mispelled all the time. (ie in the topic of this thread, on the HW Homepage for a long time, etc.)

EDIT: interesting, typing that message i mispelled depth

[Edited on 7-11-04 by Fanpuck33]

Starting net on the depth chart :

José is unquestionably the Habs #1 netminder. Next there is a grey area in my mind. Do they stand pat with a seemingly unproven backup in Huet or do they try to sign a proven veteran on the downside of his career or maybe a career backup??? If Theodore were to get injured for an extended period, would the combination of Huet & Danis be able keep a team trying to find consistancey afloat??? Looking at an experienced backup would be very close to the top of my to-do list. If management could land say a Potvin, Tugnutt or Hedberg for $1mill or less a season, IMO, it would be a very good insurance policy for the team!!!

On D :

Barring a trade I see two pairings set on D. Souray/Komisarek & Markov/Rivet. This is where it becomes somewhat tough. Brisebois has a no-trade clause in his contract, making him virtually impossible to trade. Therefore, making very difficult to bring young Ron Hainsey into the mix. He & Brisebois are basically of the same style player, with Hainsey being younger, bigger, stronger & cheaper, thus making him my choice of the two. To pair the two together on defense would be difficult at best. Then there is Frankie Bouillon, argueablly the Habs most consistant D-man last season, yet small in stature. To me Bouillon is everything you want in a #7 D-man, who can step in the minute an injury occurs to a regular D-man. The ingredient that I feel truely lacks on the Habs D is a mean, bad-ass D-man. A Bryan Marchment{Slap me hard :o} type. With that said, & knowing that Brisebois isn't going anywhere, the UFA that intrigues me the most is Dan McGillis. He is a left handed shot that might just make a good partner for Patricé.

The Habs depth up front :

This all hinges on whether Kovalev can be signed!!!!

With Kovalev resigned, I see it as :

Koivu/Hossa(Ward)/Kovalev*

Ribeiro/Ryder/Higgins

Bonk/Zednik/Ward(Hossa)

Begin(Dowd*)/Bulis/{Enforcer[McCarthy]}(Begin)

Balck Aces - Dagenais/{Enforcer}

* - If signed.

Without resigning Dowd, the Habs lack a right-handed faceoff man!!! Something that Gainey felt strongly enough about that at the trade deadline & addressed the fact. Also, with Langdon signing in Jersey, an enforcer is a must on this team. Sandy McCarthy seems like the most likely candidate at this point, IMO. Gainey & co. are also good at filling holes during the waiver draft. So I suspect some tinkering at that point.

Without Kovalev, yi-yi-yi, things become a bit unstable, but here my shot at it :

Koivu/Hossa(Ward)/UFA{my choice Selanne}

Ribeiro/Ryder/UFA{Carter or Lindros}(Higgins or Dagenais)

Bonk/Zednik/(Hossa, Ward or Higgins)

Begin/Bulis/{Enforcer}(Ward)

or stay status quo & add just a kid line as the fourth line!!! :

Koivu/Zednik/Hossa

Ribeiro/Ryder/Dagenais(Begin)

Bonk/Bulis/Ward

Higgins/Plekanec (Begin)(/Begin(Kostitsyn or Perezhogin)

There are many unanswered questions when it comes to the kids as well!!! Will Gainey ignore the AHL ruling & bring Perezhogin up to the NHL next season, if they feel he is ready?? Can Kostitsyn make the jump as a 19yr player or will Gainey allow him to mature Dougie Jarvis for a season or two??? Is Plekanec ready to make the jump & will size be a deciding factor towards his NHL career in Montreal??? Both Hossa & Higgins are poised to be regulars in a Habs uniform next season, IMO.

Another factor will be the waiver draft & who will need to be protected this season??? I believe Hossa, Hainsey & Ryder are players who need to be protected that didn't meet such requirements a year ago!!!

Koivu/Hossa(Ward)/Kovalev*

Ribeiro/Ryder/Higgins

Bonk/Zednik/Ward(Hossa)

Zednik is not a 3rd liner, he is an offensive player who brings very little to the defensive end of the rink.

Similarly, Ward is not a 1st liner. As a prospect, he was a scorer, but his scoring tailed off and now he is a solid defensive player, therefore a solid 3rd/4th liner.

Also, I doubt that Higgins will start the season on the 2nd line. He may very well make the team, but as a 3/4 liner. They will likely treat him like Ryder last season, test him early on the lower lines and give him a chance to see more time on the 2nd line.

Another factor will be the waiver draft & who will need to be protected this season??? I believe Hossa, Hainsey & Ryder are players who need to be protected that didn't meet such requirements a year ago!!!

Hossa is like Ribeiro last year, they have to keep him on the NHL roster or he will have to be put on waivers before they can send him down. Therefore they will give him every shot they gave Ribs last year.

Zednik is not a 3rd liner, he is an offensive player who brings very little to the defensive end of the rink.

This is where we disagree. Firstly, I don't feel that Zednik is a true 1st line winger. If he could finish better than what he does, then yes he would be a 1st line winger. Secondly, I'm really not looking at this as a 1st, 2nd &/or 3rd line situation. I see these lines as three line as potentially good NHL lines that can be rolled at any time giving an offensive attack with plenty of speed. I believe this thought of the third line being the defensive line has become more & more obsolete over the past five or so years.

Similarly, Ward is not a 1st liner. As a prospect, he was a scorer, but his scoring tailed off and now he is a solid defensive player, therefore a solid 3rd/4th liner.

Ward is one seasoned removed from leading the AHL in scoring most of the season & being the AHL MVP!?!?!? So why should it be so hard to think that he can't play on a offensive oriented line??? Again, Koivu's line is ranked #1 only by default IMO.

Also, I doubt that Higgins will start the season on the 2nd line. He may very well make the team, but as a 3/4 liner. They will likely treat him like Ryder last season, test him early on the lower lines and give him a chance to see more time on the 2nd line

Is Dagenais a 2nd line winger in your opinion??? There is no doubt that they will be looking for a compatiable player to play the wing with R&R. They had tried just about every forward on their roster in that position, without much success last season. That is also why I suggested that a player such as Anson Carter might be a good fit. Outside of giving either Higgins or Hossa a shot at that wing, the Habs will have to settle with Dagenais this season from their current roster. Begin, could be a long shot, but not logical.

[Edited on 2004/7/11 by Uwey]

Originally posted by Uwey

Is Dagenais a 2nd line winger in your opinion??? There is no doubt that they will be looking for a compatiable player to play the wing with R&R. They had tried just about every forward on their roster in that position, without much success last season. That is also why I suggested that a player such as Anson Carter might be a good fit. Outside of giving either Higgins or Hossa a shot at that wing, the Habs will have to settle with Dagenais this season from their current roster. Begin, could be a long shot, but not logical.

I am positive Hossa will begin the year on the wing of the Ribs-Ryder line. They have to keep him on the NHL roster or risk losing him for nothing. He will get the same kind of shot Ribs got last season. Therefore Dags rides the pine most of the time.

But I am not a Dags hater. He's had issues in his past, but he is a decent player. He hasn't been a prospect for a long time, but even so he chose to attend prospects camp, which shows he wants to improve. I like that kind of attitude. If he can improve his skating and use his body a bit, I think he could be a quality 2nd liner. But then we have both Hossa and Dags as works in progress on the 2nd line, and Hossa will get a shot before Dags will.

Higgins doesn't mind playing the wall or the heavy traffic in front of the net. Therefore, that is why I target him as R&R wing. I too believe Hossa will be given every chance to make the team. There should be no reason that both cannot play on the big team next season, given the purge of players from this team already this off-season.

Alright, something had to be done about this thread, and I was the one who had to do it... I've received complaints about this thread (where it is headed) , so I had to act, everyone here knows that I do not beleive in locking/deleting/banning users unless its extreme...

So what I did was split this thread into 2, the original (what your reading now) and a new one <a href="http://www.habsworld.net/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1500">Flame Wars: Ribeiro vs Djstang</a> ... Its in the lounge, just click the link and continue on in that thread. I dont think anyone will have a problem with my decision, the depth chart thread is able to live, and Ribeiro/Djstang can insult each other as much as they please, and everyone lives happily ever after.

[Edited on 2004-7-12 by puck7x]

Originally posted by puck7x

Alright, something had to be done about this thread...So what I did was split this thread into 2, the original (what your reading now) and a new one <a href="http://www.habsworld.net/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1500">Flame Wars: Ribeiro vs Djstang</a> ... Its in the lounge.

Thanks puck!

I have an idea: Henceforth, I would suggest that we add a gauntlet icon to the right-side collection of smileys. When a general discussion turns personal between two posters, and then things get downright mean -- one poster can simply toss in the gauntlet icon, signifying that he has "dropped his gloves."

The icon can have a hyperlink to a new "scrap" forum (the 'lounge' just doesn't seem appropriate) where the pugnacious duo can go and blow off steam in an all-out flame war.

Other posters can choose to click through and follow the fight. I think that while those watching should not gang up on one or the other combatant (the third-man-in rule), they could hoot and holler and even hold a good-natured discussion afterward on who 'won'.

Anyone else agree that this would be consistent with the spirit of hockey?

On the depth chart, with all the players we've let go, I was interested in Uwey's suggestion that maybe Gainey wants to break with tradition and try having some young players (Plekanec, Kostitsyn, or Perezhogin) jump right into the lineup?

So what I did was split this thread into 2, the original (what your reading now) and a new one Flame Wars: Ribeiro vs Djstang ... Its in the lounge, just click the link and continue on in that thread. I dont think anyone will have a problem with my decision, the depth chart thread is able to live, and Ribeiro/Djstang can insult each other as much as they please, and everyone lives happily ever after.

First off, I started this thread and it was needlessly hijacked. Don't throw the blame on me.

Other posters can choose to click through and follow the fight. I think that while those watching should not gang up on one or the other combatant (the third-man-in rule), they could hoot and holler and even hold a good-natured discussion afterward on who 'won'.

That wouldn't work. That's an invite for people to constantly attack each other.

It's like those sites with the board just for trash talking.

was interested in Uwey's suggestion that maybe Gainey wants to break with tradition and try having some young players (Plekanec, Kostitsyn, or Perezhogin) jump right into the lineup?

Possibly, since a few veterans have been dropped. I hope not though.

The Habs will have enough young players with Hossa, Mike Komaserik and Ryder.

Ribs, you say the Habs have enough young players, but what is the expectation of this team for say the next two seasons??? Maybe adding a couple of more for them to gain valuable experience wouldn't jeopardize a whole lot of integrity!!!

JLP, Plekanec & Perezhogin have paid some of their dues in Hamilton already. Kostitsyn would be taking a path few have ventured as a habs, in not playing at least one season in the AHL as a draft pick!!!