Habs resign Ribs, Begin, & Hossa

Guy10

The Montreal Canadiens re-signed leading scorer Mike Ribeiro as well as forwards Niklas Sundstrom, Marcel Hossa and Steve Begin on Wednesday.

Ribeiro, Hossa and Begin were restricted free agents while Sundstrom was an unrestricted free agent after the Habs declined to tender him a $1.95-million US qualifying offer before July 1.

Ribeiro, 24, signed a one-year deal. He led the Habs last season with 65 points (20-45) in 81 games, his breakthrough year in the NHL.

Sundstrom, 29, agreed to a two-year contract. The defensive winger had 20 points (8-12) and a plus-3 rating in 66 games last season and was one of the club's top penalty killers.

The pesky Begin, 26, signed a two-year deal. He had 15 points (10-5) in 52 games as well as 41 penalty minutes.

Hossa, 22, agreed to a one-year deal. The younger brother of Ottawa star Marian Hossa spend most of last season with AHL Hamilton, collecting 40 points (18-22) in 57 games

Its been a busy past few days for Bob, but I'm glad he's getting these guys under contract...

1 year each for Ribeiro/Hossa ... I would of liked to see Ribeiro sign a longer deal, but hey... what can you do? I wonder if the 1 year deal with Ribeiro's idea or Gaineys? hmmm... Is Ribeiro in our long term plans?

Its great to see Begin get a 2 year (+ option) deal... fantastic! :clap:

One year for Ribs is good. Higgins and Plekanec are progressing, and I wouldn't want someone to be in the way of them if by some point they're ready to do the job. Not saying Ribs isn't in the plans... just that Higgins and Pleks have a lot to offer too and could some day soon make great second line centres.

With Hossa only getting one-year.. sounds like this is his last kick at the can. Show up and you're in, stink it up and get the hell outta here I'd guess is what the BG is thinking.

Originally posted by jl.roberts

One year for Ribs is good. Higgins and Plekanec are progressing, and I wouldn't want someone to be in the way of them if by some point they're ready to do the job. Not saying Ribs isn't in the plans... just that Higgins and Pleks have a lot to offer too and could some day soon make great second line centres.

With Hossa only getting one-year.. sounds like this is his last kick at the can. Show up and you're in, stink it up and get the hell outta here I'd guess is what the BG is thinking.

Higgins is likely winger material at this point, no threat to Ribs.

Plekanec is another story, I like him a lot... but I still think Ribeiro will be here a long time.

A one year deal is fine for Ribs, all he has to do is keep playing the way he has.

As for Hossa, this is more about just keeping his rights... he hasn't done a damn thing to deserve getting signed but you don't want to just let an asset walk away. Worst case you sign, then trade.

I am certainly not sold on Ribs. It took him too long to break out, and with his size and attitude, he is a marked man for the opposition. It will be interesting to see how he handles getting hit on every shift. I am worried that the NHL has found out that they just have to attack the body and not the puck, and Ribs will be on his face the whole game. A one year deal suits him, and I am glad Bonk can come up and take over line 2 when Ribs struggles. I don't think Ribs is a longterm answer.

I am also getting very impatient with Hossa. He is just too streaky and too weak to perform at a high level. If there was ever a time to breakout, this is it. I see this as his last year as a habs if he can't stay on the roster for 2/3 of the season.

Begin I like, he is a good role player who can log valuable minutes. In the playoffs, he also showed the ability to take beatings near the net and get rebounds...something Zednik seems to have trouble doing (Uwey can back me up on that one).

Habs resign Mike Ribeiro to a one year contract worth 1.55 mil. Steve Begin to a two year deal plus a club option. Sign Marcel Hossa to a one year deal. It is good to finally see Gainey signing some players. I hope the rest of the RFA's are signed real soon. Gainey has a few holes to fill on the roster next season, if there is a next season, some of the holes willed be filled by young guys from the farm. But I think Gainey will go after two more UFA's. One for the first line if Kovalev does not resign, and a veteran defenceman. :can::hlogo:

Originally posted by ricucity

I am certainly not sold on Ribs. It took him too long to break out

Well let's just cut Ribs, Ryder & Ward for "taking too long to break out" then :eyes:

It will be interesting to see how he handles getting hit on every shift. I am worried that the NHL has found out that they just have to attack the body and not the puck, and Ribs will be on his face the whole game.

Of course, because last year the teams used that well-known "let's not touch him" strategy on him... *sigh*

If Ribeiro can get past that "Alexander Daigle" ego crap, he could be an important part of this team. It could be a few years down the road, but Cory Locke may well be a better fit than Ribeiro as the smallish, skilled center, just because of attitude!!!

As far as Zednik's concerned, he is not a true finisher around the net, thus not making him the goal scoring winger the Koivu needs to play with. Although his speed & strength did compliment the double K's well in the playoffs. I would like to see if he & Bonk have some chemistry playing together. It could beneficial for both players???

This is good news and now.... for a free agent or two

From www.canoe.ca (Slam sports)

Habs re-sign Ribeiro, three others

MONTREAL (CP) -- The Montreal Canadiens re-signed team scoring leader Mike Ribeiro as well as forwards Niklas Sundstrom, Marcel Hossa and Steve Begin on Wednesday.

Ribeiro, Hossa and Begin were restricted free agents while Sundstrom became an unrestricted free agent after the Habs declined to tender him a $1.95-million US qualifying offer before July 1.

Ribeiro, a bargain at $770,000 last season, signed a one-year, $1.55-million deal. He led the Canadiens with 65 points (20-45) in 81 games, his breakthrough year in the NHL.

The 24-year-old centre was on vacation in Portugal and could not be reached for comment.

Sundstrom, 29, agreed to a two-year, $2.5-million contract. The defensive winger had 20 points (8-12) and a plus-3 rating in 66 games last season and was one of the club's top penalty killers. He will earn $1.2 million next season and $1.3 million in 2005-06.

The pesky Begin, 26, signed a two-year, $1.5-million deal that also includes a third-year club option at $850,000. He had 15 points (10-5) in 52 games as well as 41 penalty minutes. He will earn $700,000 next season and $800,000 in 2005-06.

"I'm pretty excited," said Begin, who had shoulder surgery last month. "Now I can just think about my off-season program and getting ready for next season.

"My goal is to play in every game, to stay healthy. I'd like to improve my stats, score more goals, but the main thing is to give everything I've got in every game."

On July 3, Begin married his girlfriend Amelie, who is expecting a daughter in October. For that reason, he has so far made no plans to play in Europe or elsewhere if the 2004-05 season is postponed by a lockout.

The Trois-Rivieres, Que., native became a solid regular on the checking line after he was claimed off waivers from Buffalo on Oct. 3 and a crowd favourite for his energetic play.

"From my first game here, I felt I was part of the team," the former Calgary Flame said. "(Coach) Claude Julien gave me a lot of ice time and I took advantage of it.

"It's fun to play here. I love the fans and I guess they like the way I play."

Hossa, 22, agreed to a one-year deal. The younger brother of Ottawa star Marian Hossa spent most of last season with AHL Hamilton, collecting 40 points (18-22) in 57 games.

Originally posted by Habs77
Originally posted by ricucity

I am certainly not sold on Ribs. It took him too long to break out

Well let's just cut Ribs, Ryder & Ward for "taking too long to break out" then :eyes:

It will be interesting to see how he handles getting hit on every shift. I am worried that the NHL has found out that they just have to attack the body and not the puck, and Ribs will be on his face the whole game.

Of course, because last year the teams used that well-known "let's not touch him" strategy on him... *sigh*

Sorry man, is Ribs your cousin or something?

Datsyuk went through the same thing the year after his breakout...he could usually get away with good stickwork, until he started getting hit. Then he had to bulk up. I am not spewing random crap here.

Im anxious to see if Ribs can put up the same numbers he did last year, or, if he just got lucky. I think he can, but, that might be what the whole 1 year thing is about. Maybe Gainey figures if he has a bad year, he can sign him for less money when the deal is up, incase theres a Salary Cap finally instated.

I think as soon as Hossa's comfidence goes up, he will do fine, I'm hoping a fresh start will get him going. Too much pressure is put on him thx to his successful older brother.

Begin, what can i say, i luv the guy. He should be signed for 15 years with the habs, cuz, i mean, he shows that he would do anything for the team, even re arrange his face. (maybe im a fanatic tho... 15 years... lol, quit laughing at me :P )