Avs Will Not Bring Back Quenneville

jetsniper

Who in their right mind would trade a 1st for Jordan Leopold?

I know you said dream scenario but still, thats quite a reach.

Atlanta would. They are desperate for a d-men and said they'd trade the pick for immediate defensive help and Leopold would be that. It was a dream. :D

Should add that the pick is going to be at least 29th OA. :D

Edited by Captain_Stealth

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Avs need to hope to god that Jyri Niemi falls to the 49th OA spot. He'd be perfect for us.

In the end though hopefully one of the sleepers fall and the Avs nab whoever it is.

The Avs need to hope to god that Jyri Niemi falls to the 49th OA spot. He'd be perfect for us.

In the end though hopefully one of the sleepers fall and the Avs nab whoever it is.

Our scouting staff has done a great job recently so I'm sure we'll end up with someone good.

Guys we nabbed in that area in recent years:

Paul Stastny

Tom Fritsche

Nigel Williams

Colby Cohen

Trevor Cann

Thats not too shabby if you ask me. An NHL All-Star, two potential top pairing d-men and potential starting goaltender. I'm not sure what to make of Fritsche at this point, he appears to be a lost cause.

Our scouting staff has done a great job recently so I'm sure we'll end up with someone good.

Guys we nabbed in that area in recent years:

Paul Stastny

Tom Fritsche

Nigel Williams

Colby Cohen

Trevor Cann

Thats not too shabby if you ask me. An NHL All-Star, two potential top pairing d-men and potential starting goaltender. I'm not sure what to make of Fritsche at this point, he appears to be a lost cause.

I know and this year's decond round is pretty deep. We should make out like bandits. Especially if we get more 2nds.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit, I can grumble about Tony Granato now. It was like they chose the worst possible route.

Also, Theodore wants to come back to Colorado. Noticed that on TSN while I was waiting for something on Bourdon.

Holy shit, I can grumble about Tony Granato now. It was like they chose the worst possible route.

Also, Theodore wants to come back to Colorado. Noticed that on TSN while I was waiting for something on Bourdon.

Granato is an excellent hiring. Just you wait and see. I know Theo's had his faults but I don't question his desire to win. We've seen Turco struggle and finally find success and if the team decides to bring Theo back(no stupid sums thrown at him please), I'm hopeful he'll find his game and take the team deep.

Now while I was being sarcastic on Granato, I wasn't on Theo. Let's wait and see. Granato, however, I believe can be the right man for the Avs coaching postion. All Giguere has to do now is add some more grit and talent to the blueline and I have no doubts about the future success of this franchise. It's almost all there besides the defense(assuming at least Sakic returns).

If I still don't sound like an Avs fan then tell me.

EDIT: We need to hire an assistant coach with experience of running the power play thoug. That is all.

Edited by Captain_Stealth

He was a terrible choice the first time and now people are expecting to have gotten better with experience. Experience from what? The guy we just fired? Experience from the first season the Avalanche ever missed the playoffs? Experience from coaching a mind numbingly bad powerplay (a unit consisting of guys like Sakic, Stastny, Hejduk, Smyth and Wolski no less)

Sorry, the Avalanche were an organization screaming for new blood. Granato is another player's coach and thats what we had to get away from.

Theodore I don't give two craps about as long as it's a 1 year deal and it's cheap. Theres no one on the UFA market I'd take over him. I hope Giguere is smart enough to point out Chris Osgood's contract when they start negotiating though. Also, Turco and Theo's struggles are two completely different things. Turco just couldn't handle playoff pressure for a bit, Theo has severe confidence issues.

He was a terrible choice the first time and now people are expecting to have gotten better with experience. Experience from what? The guy we just fired? Experience from the first season the Avalanche ever missed the playoffs? Experience from coaching a mind numbingly bad powerplay (a unit consisting of guys like Sakic, Stastny, Hejduk, Smyth and Wolski no less)

Sorry, the Avalanche were an organization screaming for new blood. Granato is another player's coach and thats what we had to get away from.

Theodore I don't give two craps about as long as it's a 1 year deal and it's cheap. Theres no one on the UFA market I'd take over him. I hope Giguere is smart enough to point out Chris Osgood's contract when they start negotiating though. Also, Turco and Theo's struggles are two completely different things. Turco just couldn't handle playoff pressure for a bit, Theo has severe confidence issues.

Your argument can be made by anyone. You're going to have to take the positives out of them and hope that's what's going to happen. You can say all you want with Granato but he can still work out whether you want to admit that or not. Yeah, his background is weak but with some more experience under his belt and such, he should be able to do at least a respectable job. I think we have a lot to see yet.

Theo played great for the 2nd half of the season and in the Minny series. You could argue that the flu and the rash of injuries, not only hurt the team's chances but the team's morale. While he has a history to falter in the 2nd round, I believe that if the certain scenarios facing the team had not happened, we would have seen a much different result. All I'm going to agree with is he wasn't able to stand up and win it for his team when they needed him most. I agree Turco's was confidence issues but there's a side to it in which they've both faced problems that can be overcome. Marty has done so already and now eyes will be on Theo to see if he can follow suit.

Theo is a strange case. He seems to be awesome in the first round but then he blows it in the second round. I actually think he has a streak of 15 consecutive second-round losses which is absolutely insane (swept vs Detroit this year, swept some other time with Colorado, and swept with Montreal vs Tampa). I don't think the pressure has much to do with either of them, both of them have had great series' in the playoffs, Theodore even in a pressure city.

Your argument can be made by anyone. You're going to have to take the positives out of them and hope that's what's going to happen. You can say all you want with Granato but he can still work out whether you want to admit that or not. Yeah, his background is weak but with some more experience under his belt and such, he should be able to do at least a respectable job. I think we have a lot to see yet.

Theo played great for the 2nd half of the season and in the Minny series. You could argue that the flu and the rash of injuries, not only hurt the team's chances but the team's morale. While he has a history to falter in the 2nd round, I believe that if the certain scenarios facing the team had not happened, we would have seen a much different result. All I'm going to agree with is he wasn't able to stand up and win it for his team when they needed him most. I agree Turco's was confidence issues but there's a side to it in which they've both faced problems that can be overcome. Marty has done so already and now eyes will be on Theo to see if he can follow suit.

Honestly Stealth, you didn't watch the team during the Granato era so it's hard for you to be anything but optimistic. Like I said, this so-called "experience" doesn't necessarily point to better coaching. It just means we were too dumb to fire him outright after that mess of a San Jose series. I saw this coming the day he was demoted instead of fired though. And don't give me that "whether you want to admit it or not" crap, of course I do. He's coaching my team for petes sake. I'm being a realist though because all of the signs right now are pointing to this not working out.

Theo is a strange case. He seems to be awesome in the first round but then he blows it in the second round. I actually think he has a streak of 15 consecutive second-round losses which is absolutely insane (swept vs Detroit this year, swept some other time with Colorado, and swept with Montreal vs Tampa). I don't think the pressure has much to do with either of them, both of them have had great series' in the playoffs, Theodore even in a pressure city.

The other team was Anaheim. We should've won that series too if not for 1) Mick McGeough's bad reffing in Game 1 and 2) Briesbois being a moron in OT of Game 3

Honestly Stealth, you didn't watch the team during the Granato era so it's hard for you to be anything but optimistic. Like I said, this so-called "experience" doesn't necessarily point to better coaching. It just means we were too dumb to fire him outright after that mess of a San Jose series. I saw this coming the day he was demoted instead of fired though. And don't give me that "whether you want to admit it or not" crap, of course I do. He's coaching my team for petes sake. I'm being a realist though because all of the signs right now are pointing to this not working out.

Heh.

Of course. I know full well had I known what it was like, I'd be calling this bloody horseshit. The thing with Granato is the guy can coach. It's not like we've brought in Bob Cole or someone like that to coach this team. He might be a player's coach in a sense but I think that describing him as one has been blown way out of proportion.

The mistakes he's made in his past tenure were due to inexperience and due to the fact he's got more time to evaluate how things are done, he should be more than ready for the heach coaching spot. Of course you're taking into account that 1) He was horrible in the playoffs and 2) he was an udnerstudy to Q which you have the right to doubt this decision being made, however, keep in mind that if you have total doubt in Granato, that you're going to have total doubt in Giguere because TG is his man and FG seems absolutely ecstatic to have TG coaching his team. I think they know more than we do about the situation going on and we're going to have to hope FG's assessment on the situation was the correct one. FG's moves for the most part have been solid since his naming of GM and I don't think we should doubt him here if he believes TG is the right guy.

As for the PP, we can complain all we want but we have to look at the causes to what else could have made the team's PP so pathetic. The team had faced a ton of injuries last season spread over different periods of time. That weakened our ability to put quality talent on those units to make them succesful. That, howver, isn't my main focus but the compatibility that those units were composed of. There was no chemistry and I think that was largely due to the fact that we don't have many dmen who can really QB a powerplay. They're all puck movers with average shots and by using guys like Sakic on the point we lost their usefulness down low because they had to occupy the point. We also need a net presence and I believe Smyth will be more accustomed to playing that role and I can certainly see a guy like Jones doing a solid job in front. Hopefully having Sakic, Foppa with the young guys will give us many options but most importantly we rehaul the defense and diversify the talent we have back there. People obviously don't respect our pointmen and that has to change if ur PP is to have any success.

I left a few times while writing this so I may have restated things twice and I know some of my points haven't been fully explained but you should get the drift of what I'm getting at. There's reason for hope and I don't think there will be as much of a problem should we bring the right personnel in to fill the voids that currently remain open.

You agree with nothing I stated, eh Mike?

:D