Hainsey signed 2 year contract

bombTHEice

Ron Hainsey signed a new 2 year contract:

Contrat de deux ans pour Ron Hainsey

Le Canadien a annoncé vendredi la mise sous contrat du défenseur Ron Hainsey pour les deux prochaines saisons. Le club a également mis sous contrat l'ailier droit et joueur autonome Gavin Morgan.

Les termes des ententes n'ont pas été dévoilés.

Hainsey, 23 ans, a disputé 11 matchs avec le Canadien en 2003-04, récoltant deux points (un but, une aide). Avec les Bulldogs de Hamilton, de la Ligue américaine, il a accumulé 31 points (sept buts, 24 aides) en 54 parties, en plus de 35 minutes de punition.

Premier choix du Canadien (13e au total) lors du repêchage de 2000, le défenseur de 6'3'' et 211 livres a disputé un total de 32 matchs dans la LNH.

Morgan, âgé de 28 ans, a signé une entente d'un an. Le Canadien détient une option pour une deuxième saison. Il a évolué avec les Bears de Hershey de la Ligue américaine la saison dernière, récoltant 33 points (10 buts, 23 aides) en 67 matchs, en plus de 152 minutes de punition.

Morgan a également participé à six matchs dans la LNH avec les Stars de Dallas en 2003-04. L'attaquant de 5'11'' et 191 livres a accumulé 21 minutes de punition.

Originaire de Scarborough, en Ontario, Morgan a été acquis par les Stars à titre de joueur autonome le 17 juillet 2001.

Signing Hainsey means little, we knew they weren't going to just let him go.

He could still be traded, or not.

As for Morgan, he's 28 and sounds like another shit-disturber type... as he's only 5'11 and 190lbs, but has lots of PIMs.

He seems like AHL material, but played 6 games with Gainey's Stars in 2001.

Had 21 PIMs in those 6 games.

I don't know if this is meant to provide depth in case of a Begin injury or just another move to toughen up the Bulldogs' lineup... pretty much like that 6'5 enforcer we signed last week.

Ho hum is what most will say... can't disagree.

Originally posted by Habs77

Signing Hainsey means little, we knew they weren't going to just let him go.

He could still be traded, or not.

As for Morgan, he's 28 and sounds like another shit-disturber type... as he's only 5'11 and 190lbs, but has lots of PIMs.

He seems like AHL material, but played 6 games with Gainey's Stars in 2001.

Had 21 PIMs in those 6 games.

I don't know if this is meant to provide depth in case of a Begin injury or just another move to toughen up the Bulldogs' lineup... pretty much like that 6'5 enforcer we signed last week.

Ho hum is what most will say... can't disagree.

Morgan sounds like the new Benoit Gratton to me, Gratton signed with a Euro team if I remember correctly (swiss league?) ... Morgan is a good replacment, he's not as offensive as Gratton but he is gritty.

I wonder how much we are paying Hainsey, and I wonder the same for Hossa...

They both earned $1,075,000 last year...

They both did nothing to deserve a raise, so I guess they are getting under a million per year... But who knows...

Originally posted by puck7x

Morgan sounds like the new Benoit Gratton to me, Gratton signed with a Euro team if I remember correctly (swiss league?) ... Morgan is a good replacment, he's not as offensive as Gratton but he is gritty.

Good point... fills the void of veteran leadership from Gratton's departure.

But like you said, Gratton also brought more offense... hell he lead the league when he was healthy.

But that's ok, let our prspects handle the offense... he'll supply toughness & leadership.

He probably knows Jarvis from his time in Dallas.

Info on Gavin Morgan:

http://www.forecaster.ca/demo/hockey/player.cgi?2716

ASSETS: Works hard every shift and usually displays an exemplary attitude on the ice. Is a committed team player.  

FLAWS: Is smallish and lacks top-end talent. Must work extra hard for everything he earns and is already considered too old to be a prospect.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Reserve center.  

Originally posted by puck7x

I wonder how much we are paying Hainsey, and I wonder the same for Hossa...  

They both earned $1,075,000 last year...  

They both did nothing to deserve a raise, so I guess they are getting under a million per year... But who knows...

Getting Hainsey to sign at 750K is an impressive move by Gainey, imo. He's clearly showed he's way better at dishing out the money come contract time, then Savard. I was surprised that he signed for this amount, and that it was a one way contract for both years I believe, which shows they must have a lot of faith in Hainsey. I've had my doubts about him over this past year, but the skills are there for sure, same with Hossa. We are a much deeper team offense wise if we can get one or both to step up to their skill level on a consistent basis.

I'm still wondering what Hossa got though. I've been reading up on the waiver rules, and I think Hossa may not have to clear waivers to be sent down cause he played on 9 NHL games his first year and the cutoff is 10 NHL games. There might be something I missing, but if he can clear waviers, I would think he would get a 2 way contract, as to me he looked worse then Hainsey in the games I was at. While I love Hossa's wrist shot, the last game I was at was the worst game I ever saw him play. He looked more and more like Chouinard in that you wouldn't see much of him for most of the game except every so often he'd pop up. But if he can get it going somehow, it would be great to see him and Hainsey both doing well.